Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 11-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #31
Chinasaur
Registered Member

Default Re: Living with the VFR

Good article. Damn good article. The right mix between story and fact and motorcycle review.

MO should pay attention to article and follow it's lead. The writer doesn't go on for paragraphs about him/herself...just writes about the bike and living with it.

Good job.
Chinasaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2003, 10:06 AM   #32
KPaulCook
Banned

Default My next bike.

Thanks for a great real world review. Since I live in Rainy Seattle the heat problem won't be a big deal. Available ABS is a plus also. I stick to twisty roads on the weekeds and track days are going to be few and far between (I'll keep my Ninja for that). Sounds like a great real world bike and I see a lot of serious commuters in Seattle ride VFRs. My Honda and Accura autos are/were always very reliable, good to hear Honda's VFR is the same. Compare the cost of a VFR with a Buell Firebolt it's a bargain. Makes it obvious how far Buell has to go huh. Good work Honda!
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 10:08 AM   #33
KPaulCook
Banned

Definitely agree with you. I usually skip the self absorbed parts of reviews so common on MO.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:14 AM   #34
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Bike rules

Definitely agree with you on Bike. The photography is so much better and the content is great and there is a lot of it. My wife got me a sub for my birthday. American journalist could learn much from the Brits.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:22 AM   #35
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default 100% of sport bike max braking capability is in front

On most any sporting motorcycle such as the VFR, the rear tire will actually come up off the pavement in a hard panick type stop on clean dry pavement. There's not much braking capability in the rear when that happens is there?
Old 11-08-2003, 11:35 AM   #36
Captain_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Good review

I owned a '99 VFR for about a year. Great bike at a bargain price. Sold it after test riding and buying a BMW R1100S.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 12:52 PM   #37
jeburk
Founding Member

Of course it is biased. When I'm sitting aroung the fire with some buds, chatting about our favorite stuff, I expect it to be biased. Frankly I like hearing someone elses opinion, bias and all, over some thin, waffly "unbiased" review. I think most folks (at least the ones I associate with) are intelligent enough to appreciate an opinion and not confuse it with fact.

I liked the article. I liked hearing his everyday experience with the VFR. If I wrote an account of living with my FZ1, it would look very much the same, bias and all. Bias is good. There's nothing wrong with being discriminating about you likes and dislikes. I'd love to see more articles like this. It would all but guarantee a subscription renewal.
jeburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:36 PM   #38
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: 100% of sport bike max braking capability is in front

the rear brake stabilizes you
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:47 PM   #39
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: 100% of sport bike max braking capability is in front

Oh wait.

What Jexter is referring to is the operation of the cbs.

The front brake lever operates only 2 pistons on the 3-piston front calipers. The rear brake pedal operates 2 pistons on the rear brake and 1 on the front brakes. The extra piston in the rear brake is operated by a master cylinder which is activated by fork dive.

Therefore, even if 100% of your stopping power was on the front wheel, you would only be using 4 of the 6 front pistons. This doesn't neccesarily mean you would lose a third of your braking power, but this is what he meant.

In a way you're both right.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 01:50 PM   #40
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Default Re: Good read

Hard to work on? How would you know they never break. At least the 7 I have had never did. Change oil and add gas. Seems pretty simple to me
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote