Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-28-2003, 04:54 PM   #1
clively
Founding Member

Default Re: Dancing in the Moonlight

Wow, first post of a great article. I used to like to ride around at night myself, it's amazing what your senses pick up that can be marred during the day. Good job!
clively is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2003, 06:36 PM   #2
Elseanno
Founding Member

I had my first night-time desert experience this summer. "Eggcellent Smithers" would be my assesment. It was a full moon and fantatstic! The temp was around 100 in death valley and in the 70's in the high desert. It was a tad disconcerting to see these huge birds on the road eating carryon and flying over me at the last minute as I streaked through the hot night air. I swore I would hit one.......

I rode through Nevada and California desert through the night during a 24 hour rally.

Joe Bob says, check it out!

P.S. Riding across the Black Rock dessert in the dark on a street bike is kinda exciting in it's own way too!
Elseanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:54 PM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

Default You are a bat

Cool story. Love the pics. I love flying (Cessna 182) at night and on moonlit night it is especially cool. But riding a dirtbike hmmm sounds risky. Neat story.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:49 AM   #4
yamahard350
Founding Member

Nice Rtickle. However, would be nightriders

note that it takes just one oncoming headlight

to completely kill nightvision for as long as

thirtly seconds. Ride safe. Me? I'll be out

by the dunes once the sun goes down.
yamahard350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:50 AM   #5
pplassm
Founding Member

Thanks for the great article, Martin! You ARE the luckiest guy you know.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:54 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"No less of a luminary than former MO intern and quintessential go for it guy Timmy B. will, I believe, readily attest to the concentration required by nighttime canyon strafing."

Timmy can also attest to the concentration needed to crash early and often in the daytime. I miss Timmy. Really good article Martin. Living out there sounds like heaven.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:06 AM   #7
SRMark
Founding Member

What a fun and twisted read. However, in my area (mid-Atlantic) I have a whole buncha deer that like to feed at night and it hurts when you hit 'em. (They don't like it either.) They also tend to travel in packs of 10 or more so the chances of hitting one go way up as you enter one of their traveling pods. Trying to play dodge ball with them brings the trees into play. For my eastern brethern, I suggest letting the folks at Baja Designs do a stator rewind for the XR and then stick a set of flame- thrower lights up front. Star & moon-light might work out west but here in the east I recommend good lights in the night. One of those snake lights sure come in handy when you break down in the dark. Even an IndiGlo watch is some help. Thanks for a very different perspective.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:14 AM   #8
RonXX
Founding Member

Very interesting article. I never really considered riding at night without lights. Sounds like with a full moon, offroading could be fun.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:53 AM   #9
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default spider-man

I love to ride at night, and also have a dual sported XR600 w/ supertrapp. (Only 8 discs, I have neighbors) And since I have the stock 35w stator, it doesn't really matter if I have the light turned on or off..

Here in Va we are lousy w/ deer and that's a big worry, but I usually don't go too fast at night, and they hear me and get out of the way. My number one nighttime scourge: this time of year we are loaded with spiders.. That may sound girly, but man I don't want to share my helmet w/ a dadgum spider. Most all the trails around here are through the woods. In the fall big fat spiders have set up shop between every other tree. A lot of times you can see it coming, but rarely can stop in time and can't leave the trail unless you'd rather hit a tree. So you brake and slide and duck when you see 'em in time and run face first through the web when you don't. The spider, some as big as your thumb, might end up right between your eyes.. That's bad enough but what worse he only sits there for a second before he runs and hides.. If you're lucky, straight down your nose and out the bottom. If not you feel him trying to wriggle in there by your ear. It's enough to make a grown man throw his bike down and start slapping at his helmet and squealing like a little girl. DAMHIK.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 06:48 AM   #10
Hipshot
Registered Member

I learned about night vision some years ago when I was coming home on leave from the army. The generator on my old bathtub Volvo went out with about 50 miles to go. I had to kill the lights so the engine would continue to run on the battery. I made it! With all the lights off, I could see just great from the stars and about half-a-moon. Luckily, it was around three am and I got no hassle from the law or from the headlights of other drivers.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote