Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-28-2003, 02:35 AM   #11
Ken_Packard
Founding Member

Default One thing's for sure....

...they aren't phucking around.

They've got the dirt/rally side of the equation very well covered.

Now the Duke 990 might just biitch slap every other hooligan bike currently in production.

Jury is a long time away for the RC8, but if one is to take a cue from KTM's other bikes, I'd be very surprised if it is not a fine specimen as well.

KTM appears very passionate about their products and motorcycling in general. From what we've seen thus far, I think prosperous times are in their future.
Ken_Packard is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2003, 03:18 AM   #12
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Gas tank in the seat

So... if the gas tank is in the seat, then Corbin may have to really work to make one!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 03:37 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 2004 KTM Streetbikes & RC8 Concept

The LC8 is certainly German in style but not butt-ugly like some of the BMWs.

Hey, if a company the size of KTM can build a newly designed V-twin engine, why can't HD come up with one for Buell? HD certainly isn't strapped for cash and there's no reason not to put out the effort. Since the Buell and Sportster lines aren't considered "real Harleys" by the snooty element of the big Twin crowd there shouldn't be much downside to putting an all new liter class V-twin in these bikes. It might attract more younger riders. THe V-Rod certainly doesn't.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:46 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I believe Eric Buell is on record saying that he'll never do a liquid cooled motor. I think this bike might change his mind.

The VRod motor is too big and heavy to put in a bike like this. Who knows? Maybe Willie G has a skunkworks project that we don't know about......
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:03 AM   #15
mconlon
Founding Member

I think its in the Motorcyclist article where the prez of KTM is quoted regarding their v4 GP engine being shelved: "It would be too much money to go GP racing, and if we can't be competitive in racing and have a street bike to back it up, we won't do it." There's obviously no truth to this with the LC8 Duke, but based on a published comment like that, I'd be very surprised if KTM didn't enter Superbike racing in a big way.
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:05 AM   #16
SRMark
Founding Member

A look back at HDs road racing project would indicate the presence of a true skunkworks. I have no doubt that what they would come up with would indeed emit a foul odor.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:32 AM   #17
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: RC8 exhaust

now the trick is to get Eric to dump the revised Sportster motor he's got (and done a right good job on it considering what he had to work with) and mount an LC8. Now *that* would put the rest of the sportbikes on notice.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:40 AM   #18
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Re: Gas tank in the seat

That is not a new concept. I was born with my gas tank in my seat.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:41 AM   #19
wfowade
Founding Member

I think the emperor has no clothes. Especially the street bikes KTM has been foisting upon the wide world are hideous!!! This is a bike only a mother buzzard could love through squinted eyes. I like the concept but please get an Italian with a sense of beauty to put a pen to it. Just looking towards it the tuetonic egdes on this thing look like they would give your eyes a paper cut!
wfowade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 06:12 AM   #20
cyclox
Founding Member

If the Adventure does well here in the USofA, maybe it will convince Honda that there's a profitable market for the Transalp in the US.

At any rate, in a year or so I anticipate giving a serious look at the KTM Adventure or Duke with the new engine.
cyclox is offline   Reply With Quote