Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2004 Big Dogs (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2185-2004-big-dogs.html)

TatdNPrcd 10-27-2003 04:28 AM

Re: 2004 Big Dogs

"As long as the engine and trans are good shape it's not that hard to build a chop."

And that's the problem I have with this basket I have. It's all s h i t. I got in over my head having never done anything like this.

Thanks for the tips, sarnali. Some I knew and some I didn't.

seruzawa 10-27-2003 06:08 AM

It can help to seperate any project into sections and just tackle one first. This reduces the confusion of trying to worry about everything at once.

Probably the first step would be to rebuild the engine/tranny. The good thing about Sportsters is that they are simple as hell. Parts abound and are dirt cheap compared to Japanese bikes. Get a shop manual and just go through the procedures for tearing down and re-assembling the engine. As I recall none of it is especially difficult. I'd bet that once the engine is done the rest will fall into place. Just pick one section at a time. Heck, winter's starting and it'll be a good project.

Try repairing a blown tranny on a Honda Magna if you want complex, expensive and difficult. Three gears and two shift forks cost me $395 alone. That's with a discount from the local parts guy. Normal Honda prices were $475 for the parts. You can probably do the entire Sportster engine for that. And when you finish it'll probably be worth what you spent on it of you decide to sell it.

seruzawa 10-27-2003 06:20 AM

Be careful before going down that road. Phallic association applies at least as appropiately to the crotch-rocket crowd.

wfowade 10-27-2003 07:00 AM

Re: Got Choppers?

At the very least you are bitter. My Ford F-150 does not get used to haul 10 tons of sand but it does get used to tow bikes, a 23' boat as well as carry my family over significant distance. I considered the Toyota but while the Toyota was a great truck, the Ford was a better fit for my needs. Specifically the back seat was bigger and Ford had much better financing options. While I don't ride a crusier at the very least I am open to allowing that others may be attracted to him. There's an ass for every seat.

Buzglyd 10-27-2003 07:43 AM

Re: Choppers - So Yesterday again

I have to agree. Unless you're riding a clapped out XL500 with a milkcrate strapped on the back, you are buying into some kind of lifestyle.

I'l still trying to figure out what's so damn wrong with people having fun. I may not ride my H-D with the biker scowl on my face but the Yuppies aren't threatening anyone so who cares?

Tigercub 10-27-2003 07:57 AM

We parked our Triumphs next to what I think was a Mastiff model Bulldog after a spirited ride over a wonderfully twisty, well-paved rode to Georgetown (CA). The owner was proud to have paid under $27,00 for the thing -the same price my wife paid for her '04 Toyota Sienna (and we were robbed!). You could have bought all three of those Triumphs (Daytona, Speed 4, Bonneville) for the price of that Big dog. This is a tough choice?

Tigercub 10-27-2003 07:59 AM

Re: Forefront

I have a middle finger and if provoked I'm not afraid to use it!

seruzawa 10-27-2003 08:30 AM

Re: Choppers - So Yesterday again

Maybe these sourpusses never got enough hugs from their mommies.

Far too many people worrying waaaay too much about what other people are doing.

seruzawa 10-27-2003 08:33 AM

It works both ways. There are some here who might attack you for being "dumb" enough to buy another overpriced bike with little dealer support.... in other words your Triumph.

seruzawa 10-27-2003 08:40 AM

Hey! don't laugh. If people are dumb enough to think that a 600 pound BMW GS is a dual sport then why not a Big Dog? Hard for it to be worse. At least the center of gravity would be much lower.

Hmmmmm. Might even be better than a BMW GS, Triumph Tiger or Suzuki V-Strom.