Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-25-2003, 07:23 PM   #41
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Big Dogs

When you're willing to put in the time to build MY bike for $12,000 let me know.

Believe me I respect anybody who can do what you say you can but my vocation took me to computers not mechanics and I just don't know enough to do it myself.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2003, 12:44 AM   #42
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Choppers - So Yesterday again

Harley people like being different? Different from who? Not different from all the other sheep who bought a bike and an instant lifestyle, just add water...

(Buzzy, you know I don't mean you, but there's milllions of camp followers out there...)
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 12:45 AM   #43
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: It's not The Highwayman

pretty close, but where's the buggery?
Old 10-26-2003, 12:48 AM   #44
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: Ewwwww....

Blasphemer! The VFR god will smite thee and cover thine head with pork drippings.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:18 AM   #45
sarnali
Founding Member

As long as the engine and trans are good shape it's not that hard to build a chop.

You'll need a grinder, drill, tap-n-die set, some heli coils and access to a welder, or a shop with a welder, and a factory manual

The rest is just scrounging parts and bolting them together, Then spray can everything flat black and you got yourself a nasty looking chopper.

Use the factory manual to see how everything is supposed to work, try to keep it as stock as possible except the frame (you said you wanted a rigid sportster) and really if you want a streetfighter look, you should use the stock frame and weld on, or cut off brackets as you need them. Any superglide front end will fit a sportster up untill mid 80's or so, and a Drag Specialties catalog should take care of the rest

Really, it's not that hard. And you'll have the funnest bike you'll ever ride when you're done.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:29 AM   #46
sarnali
Founding Member

go to motorcycho.com, then links, then check out chopper daves or chopperheads to see what real old school chops are supposed to look like

You don't need to spend $25k like some hollywood swinger, in fact the less you spend the better you are if you want cred. where it counts.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:33 AM   #47
sarnali
Founding Member

you'll have to do google search to get the motorcycho site
Old 10-26-2003, 05:36 AM   #48
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Ewwwww....

Mmmmmm Pork drippings...............
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 12:23 PM   #49
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: Got Choppers?

It must be the same reasoning that goes into buying a Cheverolet or Ford or Dodge when the Japanese companies all produce better driving vehicles in every category, except maybe for those silly full size pickup trucks. After all, we all know how often we need to haul 20,000 tons of sand and dirt...

As someone noted, you buy the romantic idea of the thjing, not the handling, or smooth ride, or silly little technological stuff that's "all new and 10,000% better" every year.

Maybe I'm just bitter.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:24 PM   #50
Chango
Founding Member

Compensating for shortcomings...

Chango