Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2004 Big Dogs (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2185-2004-big-dogs.html)

TatdNPrcd 10-25-2003 07:23 PM

Re: 2004 Big Dogs

When you're willing to put in the time to build MY bike for $12,000 let me know.

Believe me I respect anybody who can do what you say you can but my vocation took me to computers not mechanics and I just don't know enough to do it myself.

Betamax 10-26-2003 12:44 AM

Re: Choppers - So Yesterday again

Harley people like being different? Different from who? Not different from all the other sheep who bought a bike and an instant lifestyle, just add water...

(Buzzy, you know I don't mean you, but there's milllions of camp followers out there...)

Betamax 10-26-2003 12:45 AM

Re: It's not The Highwayman

pretty close, but where's the buggery?

Betamax 10-26-2003 12:48 AM

Re: Ewwwww....

Blasphemer! The VFR god will smite thee and cover thine head with pork drippings.

sarnali 10-26-2003 04:18 AM

As long as the engine and trans are good shape it's not that hard to build a chop.

You'll need a grinder, drill, tap-n-die set, some heli coils and access to a welder, or a shop with a welder, and a factory manual

The rest is just scrounging parts and bolting them together, Then spray can everything flat black and you got yourself a nasty looking chopper.

Use the factory manual to see how everything is supposed to work, try to keep it as stock as possible except the frame (you said you wanted a rigid sportster) and really if you want a streetfighter look, you should use the stock frame and weld on, or cut off brackets as you need them. Any superglide front end will fit a sportster up untill mid 80's or so, and a Drag Specialties catalog should take care of the rest

Really, it's not that hard. And you'll have the funnest bike you'll ever ride when you're done.

sarnali 10-26-2003 04:29 AM

go to motorcycho.com, then links, then check out chopper daves or chopperheads to see what real old school chops are supposed to look like

You don't need to spend $25k like some hollywood swinger, in fact the less you spend the better you are if you want cred. where it counts.

sarnali 10-26-2003 04:33 AM

you'll have to do google search to get the motorcycho site

Buzglyd 10-26-2003 05:36 AM

Re: Ewwwww....

Mmmmmm Pork drippings...............

Chango 10-26-2003 12:23 PM

Re: Got Choppers?

It must be the same reasoning that goes into buying a Cheverolet or Ford or Dodge when the Japanese companies all produce better driving vehicles in every category, except maybe for those silly full size pickup trucks. After all, we all know how often we need to haul 20,000 tons of sand and dirt...

As someone noted, you buy the romantic idea of the thjing, not the handling, or smooth ride, or silly little technological stuff that's "all new and 10,000% better" every year.

Maybe I'm just bitter.

Chango 10-26-2003 02:24 PM

Compensating for shortcomings...

Chango