Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-25-2003, 07:13 AM   #31
caderider
Registered Member

Default Re: Forefront

Good one

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2003, 07:18 AM   #32
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Build it Thyself...

Lets see...

If I was building a Showboat Cruiser...

1L Supersport Engine: $10,000 - all the parts of the GSXR-1K you can sell. So say $6000 after you sell off the plastics, frame, and everything else to some poor squid who just totaled his. (hey, I want a non-abused engine here)

Frame, softtail: $1300

Frame mods to adapt to engine: $2000

Wheels, suspension: $3000

Gas Tank/seat/misc bits: $3000

Custom exhaust welding: $1000

(route new headers to stock exhaust cans.

Bolt-on engine covers (chromed): $1000

Yeah, it looks quite possible to make an interesting (1L supersport powered) cruiser, minus all the labor, for a good bit less than an off-the-shelf "custom".

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:09 AM   #33
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Ewwwww....

Who cares bro? As long as they didn't steal the money to pay for it.

I think people waste money on a lot of stupid things but as long as they're not bothering me, to each his own.

I guess the advantage to buying a BD hardtail over a custom one is that you actually get a warranty.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:03 AM   #34
piinob
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Big Dogs

All this sniveling sounds like a bunch of RUBs with Harleys at a Honda gathering...The Big Dogs have shown their staying power and appeal. It is good to know that their are still some home grown folks who can make a motorcycle company successful.
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 11:57 AM   #35
gatling
Founding Member

I agree with Joe606. Those things are a joke. What would ever prompt anyone to buy any motor vehicle called a BIG DOG?

Joe Berk

www.joeberkphotography.com
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:50 PM   #36
Alf_Palaima
Founding Member

Default Re: Choppers - So Yesterday again

Have you ever comsidered this. Harley people LIKE being different and don't want something that everyone else wants. The day you start buying up the harleys instead of R1s - they'll start buying the R1s and such. Who am I kidding, we all like it this way - not understanding the other side keeps flame boards alive!

-ap
Old 10-25-2003, 12:53 PM   #37
Alf_Palaima
Founding Member

You're welcome -

It's not WHAT you ride - It's THAT you ride!

-ap
Old 10-25-2003, 02:28 PM   #38
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Competition is good thing

Saw one of these bikes previewed on American Thunder (SpeedTV) the other night. I like the Bulldog. The owner of Big Dog has big pockets being an heir of the Coleman Camping Equipment Fortune. Bow Wow. Go Big Dog!
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #39
Mr_Bigglesworth
Founding Member

The bikes are one thing, but it's the guys who buy these things that are the most ridiculous. When somebody on one of these rolled up to our H-D shop, we'd all start humming steam-calliope circus music before they got close enough to hear us. "Hey, buddy, the Coliseum is three miles over that way. So put that helmet back over your rainbow hair, prop your size 42 orange shoes on the pegs, and go join the rest of the clowns."
Mr_Bigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:15 PM   #40
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

"...it's nowhere near as cool."

There's where you're right, kawazuki. I couldn't agree more. My problem is that about the only thing I can do with any confidence is basic service and maint. I drove Hondas most of my life so that's all I've ever needed to do.

I bought an old ironhead XLH rolling chassis to build into a streetfighter rigid with a built-to-the-nines front suspension and brakes. I thought, "I'm an intelligent man with strong troubleshooting skills. How tough can it be?"

Well it was more than I could do. I'd have spent a couple grand on tools alone. With no paint figured in my estimated costs where over $16,000 and that didn't include the $$$ for tools and to get my shop set up.

I've still got the bike. After taking it down to the frame I had to be honest about my abilities and admit I'd have to send most of the work out to other shops to do the major work and that gets VERY expensive. Most won't even touch a basket case. I put it all back together and for now it's just a place holder in the garage.

Hmmm... Maybe nweaver's got the right idea. I'll have to check on that idea for myself. Not real sure where I can get the right frame for $1,300 though. I'd have to have a rigid. Softail choppers are for sissy's. :-p

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote