Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-20-2003, 03:42 AM   #51
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending EBass and a reality check for Buellsters (Firebolt is not there yet)

"read the entire review"

I did. They liked it.

Jeez, you remind me of those wacky left wingers who ignore the part of the WMD report about 92% of sites still being uninspected, and whose concept of WMD threat is akin to "Yeah, that guy machine-gunned lots of people, but he doesn't have a machine-gun right now as far as I can tell, and all he's doing for the moment is stabbing a few folks, and the odds of him ever making another machine-gun from his machine-gun plans and his machine-gun designers and his machine-gun builders are pretty slim, so he's really harmless."

I mean, since you bring it up.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2003, 03:49 AM   #52
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Whining about honesty?

I think Mr. Bass just gave his OPINION on the Buell. Not liking every aspect of every part of a bike isn't a shortcoming. MO readers want to hear stuff from the heart and not ad fluff or BS, and when you get it then he suddenly doen't know anything? I think some people need to make up their mind on what they what. You want honesty, you got it. Now quit whining about it.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:52 AM   #53
nweaver
Founding Member

Default On the broken motor mount photo...

It's an aluminum motor mount, no? In a very high-vibration environment: having to isolate the paint-shaking engine from the frame. So a part that is under heavy load and continuous vibration from one side.

This does not sound like a happy thing to ignorant-little-me: Aluminum is very sensitive to fatigue, you infinitesmally bend a piece of aluminum and it will eventually break. VERY different from steel, where until you bend it enough, nothing will happen (why springs are steel, not aluminum).
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:01 AM   #54
nweaver
Founding Member

Default We don't NEED no ammo...

The 1L version makes a whopping 10 hp more than an SV-650 in stock trim, while the 1.2L version may have the low end-by-the-bucketfull (simply because it is just massively large), makes less power than a 600cc supersport, let alone the 125 HP of the Honda RC51.

The RC51, despite being 200cc down, has 35 more horespower peak, but the same peak torque! And the engine probably ends up being lighter, mostly on the transmission side of things. (The aircooled buell engine is reasonably light, but the transmission is a pig-iron pig)

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:05 AM   #55
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Funky Twins Shootout

Your opinion is wrong! The Ducati is the coolest bike!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:15 AM   #56
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default 2004 Buell XB12S Mileage

I'm getting between 42 and 46 mpg with my new 2004 Buell XB12S with the race kit burning 91 Octane Chevron gasoline out here in Phoenix Arizona.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:26 AM   #57
aknopak
Founding Member

Woo-hoo, nice job! Great selection of bikes I might add. You seemed to have a good time doing the research for the shoot-out, it shows

BTW, as you may be aware, the R1100S is raced in the so-called 'Boxercup' in several European countries. Even with the rear raised they manage to drag the cylinders, quite a sight.

The comments on the BMW's ABS were very interesting, on some beemers the system can be turned off, I guess not on the S?

aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:48 AM   #58
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Unsubstantiated remark.

Stick to the facts. We expect more from you then "My dad can whip your dad kind of comments". What I mean is that unless you can back up your *****slapping claims then keep your unproven claims to yourself. This is unfair to Buell in this case because it soundly whipped these other bikes in this comparo and yet your claiming something that just flew out your mouth with nothing at all to back it up. *****slapping my arse. All three of these bikes are nice and I'm sure I'd love to own all three of them if that were possible. I noticed that nothing was said about what regular maintenance costs on these bikes are. I'm wagering that Buell smokes these bikes in terms of costs to continue ownership. Valve maintenance on Ducatis is supposed to be a pain or expensive if you have it done for you. BMW parts are expensive but the valve maintenance is probably staight forward. No Buell valve clearance costs. I think I would prefer the S over the Firebolt. I've test ridden both. I've never ridden a Ducati but have ridden a few BMWs.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:02 AM   #59
bigjames
Premium Member

This is too funny not to comment on. The most powerful, lightest and apparently best handling bike here (based on lap times) was a Harley (based machine)!

My BMW bones are not to pleased, but the Harley ones are chuckling mightly.....that rattling noise you all heard is something that folks using crappy west coast gas on a hot day with motors that have pushrods AND high compression should be very accustomed to!

BigJames
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:14 AM   #60
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Imagine, 105 degrees, air-cooled motor, and a racetrack. Those had to be some frightening sounds.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote