Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-02-2003, 10:52 PM   #1
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: Lessons in Motorcycle Racing

Ouch indeed. Glad you're still alive.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2003, 11:03 PM   #2
pated
Registered Member

Wow, you are crazy man! That's been some life you've lived. I admire your adventurous spirit. Your racing stories really pulled me in, a well written piece. Have you thought of writing a book?
pated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 02:39 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

My older bro was in Nam in 67 and 68 and when he came out went straight to motocross racing. Must have been something in the water out there.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:44 AM   #4
aknopak
Founding Member

Wow, great story, thanks for that.

I too admire your spirit, yet I can't help thinking you were just as stupid as you were lucky...

On one hand you are quite realistic about your abilities, you know you are fast, but not the fastest in the competition. But it is all for fun, so there are no problems there. Still every time you go out there you have to push the envelope and try and beat the faster guys, crashing about what, half of the time?! Why on earth didn't you slow down?

It's interesting that you mention thinking about the cause of the various crashes, but apparently you were not able to draw any conclusions from it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh... I hope you fully recover, and manage to get out of the crashing business.
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 04:19 AM   #5
SRMark
Founding Member

I recently had a couple of minor knee surgeries and have been moaning about the slow-to-leave pain. Thanks for the perspective. I don't feel nearly as bad. I wish you a calmer life and a speedy recovery.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 05:21 AM   #6
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Dude you have to buck up and get back on that bike.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:06 AM   #7
SmokeU
Registered Member

Pain is just weakness leaving the body. Get back out there and win some races.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:16 AM   #8
johnnyb
Founding Member

Man you make bike racing sound fun! For what it's worth, in my limited experience, whenever you're on the track, racing or not: It is not a good idea to ever put yourself in a spot where you can be "pinched off." No mirrors, remember?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 07:04 AM   #9
asphanaut
Founding Member

Hmmm, seeign as how I just low-sided at T-hill in Nor-cal on Monday your personal experiences really "hit' home. Thanks for writing your experiences, they're fun to read, I can relate, and seems like you're healing up. I hope you return to good as new.

I always found it hard to accept the commonly stated idea that crashing isn't "if" it's "when." But someone cut under me and stole my line while I was trying to pose for the camera. This made me delay my lean into the corner just long enough to cause me to run wide on the turn. Of course I could have simply backed off the throttle and waited until the next lap for my photo opportunity but ... No - I wanted that picture! I guess it really is true: "pride goes before a fall!" The good news is that except for some sore muscles I'm fine. My bike is worse than me and needs help.

Decisions to "push it" are hard to resist and I obviously neglected my own proverb, "a good day of riding fast is one that allows me to ride fast again tomorrow." Well my oproverb changes everytime I think it to myself but you get the idea. Now we just need to put that idea into practice a bit better don't we !?
Old 10-03-2003, 09:52 AM   #10
mjs
Founding Member

Thank you for your perspective.

Even at my advanced age, every day of my life tends to be a learning experience and I'm the first to admit that I haven't always made the right choices.

But it sure has been fun !
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote