Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Digital Tire Gauge (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2133-digital-tire-gauge.html)

sportbike_pilot 09-29-2003 05:42 AM

Re: Digital Tire Gauge

Ditto. I got mine for $5.00 and it's worked like a champ for a couple of years.

DataDan 09-29-2003 06:58 AM

Had one, accidentally dropped it from a height of about one foot, it ceased to function. However, it flew straight and true en route to my garage trash can--very stable aerodynamically.

ferb 09-29-2003 01:05 PM

Re: Digital Tire Guage

My first thought was "Great! A nice simple product review. They should do more of those!"

Then I read it. That's it? I've actually got one of these doohickeys and I think I could have written a better article. Y'know, these clever little tongue-in-cheek ha-ha articles are cute and all, but we're actually paying for this.

Would it have been much effort to find some commercial establishment that could have verified the accuracy of the gauge?

crackerdaddy 09-30-2003 07:26 AM

They sell the EXACT same guage (without the Roadgear sticker though) at Sears for around $10, sometimes less on sale.

Mine has been very accurate (moreso than any analog guages I have, but I don't have any high dollar ones admittedly)and has stood up well to abuse.

It fits fine on the steel stem of my Falco's front wheel, as long as you come at it from the correct angle to clear the brake discs.

captainwhoopass 09-30-2003 08:14 AM

Re: Digital Tire Guage

Do you use the gauge to prevent it from exploding from gas buildup or something?

maladg 09-30-2003 10:53 AM

Digital "Speedo"? Gee, I just want to go for a swim.

Mike955i 09-30-2003 12:07 PM

The first good comment, and the only thing I would have actually cared about; will it work on a dual-disk wheel? Thanks for the comments HB, money saved!

Oh, and Dave; spend a few bucks on a sense of humor!

jimmymac 10-01-2003 12:02 AM

It is very difficult to use this gauge without losing air, even if your brakes are not in the way. Went back to my old faithful analog gauge. I'm not so sure about the aerodynamics though; mine curved left and smashed against the shovel. The shovel is fine.

KZ6 10-07-2003 01:57 AM

Looks good, Sears has a similiar item for $10, battery life of 5 years, and seems to be as accurate as my guage type gauges....

justaspeedfreak 10-07-2003 05:28 PM

fwiw, i bought one of these for one reason, +/- 1% accuracy. I have a $3.99 Victor digital, but can't trust it. Are they the same internally? Nope. I took them both apart and the circuit boards and air bladders are different. I couldn't read the pn's on the chipsets but they don't appear to be the same. I'm gonna check both at the Dunlop trailer next AMA race I go to and see how it matches up against their test unit... btw, I can easily get to the valve stems on my 17" wheels with 320mm disks. Getting to the stems on the Dakota tires is tougher...