Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #11
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Digital Tire Guage

Well EBass at least that was your opinions not an ad rep's. It's much easier to make fun of me than answer the allegation isn't it? Did they teach you that technique in jounalism school? Ya know just reprint the ad copy and go for coffee. It's much easier than actually testing a product. I could go down the street for opinions. Why do you think Consumer Reports sells so well? Oh yeah, don't think just reprint.

dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2003, 08:38 PM   #12
ebass
Founding Member

In all seriousness Dave, I do think MCN is great at what it does. Probably the best resource out there for hardcore product testing. I use it as a sleep aid all the time.

But in all fairness to MO and moi, it is standard practice in magazines across all interests to do brief product mentions or lightweight reviews. Hey at least we actually use/wear/read/watch stuff before publishing a piece on it. That's more than I can say for many "page 5" mentions in other pubs, some of which you already mentioned by name.

So lighten up amigo, it's a feckin' tire gauge for Chrissakes! A tire gauge! I don't have time for this crap. There's cancer to cure, starving children to feed, and I just got a call from that bounty hunter "Dog" asking me to help him track down Osama and Sadam, so I've got a lot on my plate OK! Sheesh, some people!
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:05 PM   #13
dwr461
Founding Member

I thought your job was to test and report on products. Maybe you guys don't have enough people or money to do it properly, but thats not my fault. Since it's not in your job desciption to find a cure for cancer or hire a bounty hunter you should do that on your own time. Other than frequent contact with the author of articles, this website has proven to be little better than any of the motorcycle print media. Maybe I'm boring or highstrung I except that. Seriously why don't you (MO) do more quantitative tests? EBass none of this was ever meant as a personel reproach against you. I think you do protest too much.

Dave
Old 09-27-2003, 09:07 PM   #14
dwr461
Founding Member

accept not except oops

Dave
Old 09-27-2003, 11:05 PM   #15
nitrofly
Founding Member

Check out the closeup image of the business end of this thing and see how poorly it's constructed. Looks like some cheap taiwanese shiat fall outta a christy cracka to me. Would you trust the reading from such a cheapo looking device? I think not.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:54 AM   #16
F451
Founding Member

Default Here's the right LINK

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=45570

The CORRECT Link -- Click Here (sorry)

F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 04:12 AM   #17
pplassm
Founding Member

And atrociteurs?
Old 09-28-2003, 04:37 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: we don't need no stinkin' tire gauge!

How does it work on a VFR?

Seriously Real Highwaymen don't use tire gauges, they pump it up rock hard to match those bulging bi-ceps and sinous ropes of writhing muscle as their manly fists twist the throttle wide open, chrome pipes roaring out a thunderous song of victory

plus 1/8 in suspension travel +75 psi. in the tires makes bumpy roads fun.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 09:27 PM   #19
Heronboy
Founding Member

Default Re: Digital Tire Gauge

This thing works well enough... for my car. Ya see, if you had tested the thing on a variety of bikes you would find it won't work on machines with dual front disk brakes and metal valve stems. It doesn't have a enough offset to get under most brake disks and come down straight onto the valve stem. Since it doesn't come down straight (and the metal stem doesn't flex) it doesn't seal correctly and allows air to leak out, giving a reading 10~20 PSI low.

It won't work on my Futura or my ZX-6. It does work fine on my F650, but that has only a single brake. So it now sits in the glovebox of my car, where it's large size and insufficent kink aren't a downfall. I ended up buying an old school "round gauge w/hose". And yes, the plastic molding on mine looks just as bad as the one in your photo.
Heronboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:51 PM   #20
deerhunter
Founding Member

Default Re: Digital Tire Gauge

I bought a similar digital tire gauge at Walmart for about $7. Same specs as the Roadgear product, but a lot less money, and comes with a lifetime guarantee. This stuff is not all that exotic anymore. The chips are dirt cheap and all that has to be done is build a plastic case around the chip.

Drop tested mine and it still works. It does appear to be quite accurate, too.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote