Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2003 Naked 1000 Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2120-2003-naked-1000-shootout.html)

pasystm 09-23-2003 07:36 PM

Re: 2003 Naked 1000 Shootout

>The cool alloy frame on the suzuki unfortunately did nothing to help it's handling capabilites.<

the sv1000's handling capabilities are excellent and very crisp, chassis is awesome, the problem is the stock settings are junk, but very easy to fix thanks to fully adjustable suspension. trust me, the sv can get pretty serious in the twisties when you get the settings right.

pasystm 09-23-2003 07:39 PM

hydroshock is in my 27

SV1000S 09-24-2003 07:48 PM

I have owned a SV1000S since good friday. Have 7500 miles on her now. To fix the nasty vibes around 5000 installed Yosh 3/4 system. Your naked bike didn't have any vibes?

Handling - maybe the naked has a different frame [I don't think so]. I don't get where you think the frame flexs. Running stock tire pressure [36psi f/r] the bike is a little squirrelly but if you drop down to 32 f/r it is a much different bike. What pressure did you use?

Stock settings on the front is one turn out for both compression and rebound. Rear - compression 2 1/4 turns rebound 3/4 turn out. After I found this out and checked my bike they were way out. Did you check the setting? Once stock setting were in place this bike is planted, stayable and unflapable. Presently using stock rear settings and a half turn in on the rebound front - you got to love it.

You didn't have time to play with these very simple settings? Hey it took 5 mins if that. So I guess you didn't bother to set the preloads eather. Why spend any time reading this crap if you don't take the time to set the bike up right?

For what its worth you can get a lot more power out of this bike with a power commander and for even more fun down load the Accelertor Pump that just came out.

pattonme 09-28-2003 03:52 PM

well, MO journo's or print-rag writers, seldom do they apparently BOTHER to set up a suspension. Are you guys loons? Or do you really think (shudder, is it true?) that the typical rider is so flat-out clue-less they don't know to set up a suspension? I quit counting the times I've read "the bike sucked (and on for 5 bloody paragraphs) as delivered but when we changed the suspension, it worked great." And THEN they don't document the settings that worked NOR do they disclose the rider's specifics. Thank heavens the Brit mags aren't such flaming **** over something this basic. And we wonder why the Euro's get all the good bikes...

For crying out load you supposed luminaries of the industry: get a damn clue! Play with the tire pressure, play with the suspensions and then DOCUMENT your findings. You have the luxury of unlimited access to bikes and persons, not quite unlimited time, and a medium to inform the masses. Get with the program already.

Pulsar 09-29-2003 03:40 AM

i wonder why top speed is an issue at all in testing modern bikes. have you got any free speeding freeways over there? i mean, germany is the last country in the EU that allows to go as fast as you like.. (and i appreciate that :D )

main thing for me is if i'm able to ride comfortable with all these bikes.. i'm 1,96m, that would be 6.43 feet and its hard to imagine me on i.e. a monster.

any comments on how large ppl feel on the SV? and how would the SV1000 feel in comparison to my 1200 bandit? :)

jonnyluck 10-22-2003 03:53 PM

Great comments, and a point well made. Setting the bike up correctly can change the character and confidence levels on any bike. The Dark Art.....

mystik9438 12-29-2003 08:42 AM

Dude....dont be a bish. That is all.

cljohnson 12-30-2003 03:51 PM

silly rabbit an HD SuperGlide WHAT?(Haa,haa)

No that would be in the yard maintenence category, not naked anything bike category...

cljohnson 12-30-2003 04:12 PM

Have the naked sv1k 3500miles on it and 03 sv650 naked as well(wife's bike), both are fabulous bikes, handle like dreams. I agree with you on suspension setup, and once setup for your weight it has no "weaving" or any other detectable handling issues at all. I have owned and ridden nearly every bike currently in Kawasaki's and Suzuki's inventory, and I will say that it's one of the best handling bikes out there. Comparing the z 1000 to this bike is simply a crazy matchup. I think I would like to compare the ZRX1200r to the z1000 and watch the 100 get smoked(had a zrx). I think the z1k is for the "flashy" guys and the SV is for the ones who really want to ride.

I know SV1k sales are slow, but I think reviews such as this , mentioning weaving and handling things which stir up the last media bashoing associated with the TL make unjustified connections for readers.

SV sales are slow but z 1000 sales are right there with them.

For anyone considering the SV, I can attest suzuki has accomplished it's goals in regards to handling, power and overall fun. The price on these are very reasonable also, dealers want to move them, especcially the S models as the sv1ks and especially N's were delivered late and will sit on showrooms longer because of missing summer/spring delivery. Take advantage of one of these mfg screwups and get a great bike cheap.

as far as Z1000, another great bike which dealers are trying to get rid of now...mainly because although everyone likes it's looks at first, cosmetically it's kinda too aggressive even for the kids..

magnamania69 07-15-2004 05:30 PM

z1000 get smoked by the zrx?! hardly i have an 03 z1000 and with my muzzy slip-ons i can crush bandits, zrxs, 919, etc. that is funny tho, outrun my nifty z1 with the bathtub on dual shocks.