Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-18-2003, 07:20 AM   #11
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket on deck.

On the other hand, both of those guys were going pretty fast- an 80mph stand-up wheelie into a median and a guy who claimed to be doing 50mph when he t-boned a car, but the damage to his bike tells me he was going much faster than that. I'm not surprised a bit that they came away with some injuries. A normal textile jacket wouldn't have fared much better.

Besides, those jackets beat the hell out of t-shirts, which is what those guys would have been wearing if they didn't have mesh jackets.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2003, 08:01 AM   #12
El_Duderino
Founding Member

The swamp cooler effect is what JR is trying to do with it's Sahara vest. It is made of special material, which is supposed to retain more water and do it in a controlled evaporative release so it doesn't dry off so quickly as if you would with normal garments (soaked t-shirts). The vest worked pretty good in the humid FL summer, but I found it works best if you refrigerate it after the prescribed soaking in water, which takes some forethought before any ride. Or you can just soak it in water that's been refrigerated, but you still have to remember to keep water stocked in the fridge. It's still a slight shocker when you put a moist, cold vest on over your t-shirt (the jacket goes over the vest). Can anybody say Tango Uniform?
El_Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:00 AM   #13
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: crash test

I did a stall, drop and roll wearing a first gen. JR ballistic series jacket and pants a few years back, and didn't feel a thing from impact so the pads are good, I've read on other sites that the abrasion resistance is about average for a textile suit and price wise JR stuff is had to beat.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:23 AM   #14
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Low cost for those interested...

Just as a satisfied customer.

Newenough has mens in red (and some yellow) at a closeout price of $65+shipping ( http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/t...ot_weather.htm )

They also have womens in misc sizes in black, gray, red and yellow for the same price. ( http://www.newenough.com/ladies/closeouts.htm ).

My grilfriend just got one in gray (its more of a silver-gray) and is very happy with it.
nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:35 AM   #15
dbrunell
Founding Member

Arizona Motorsports has a sale on the Phoenix now too.

http://store.yahoo.com/azmotorsports/

An oversize pair of Phoenix pants are great for wearing over your street pants or shorts when commuting.
dbrunell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:37 AM   #16
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

Default Re: pics from a crash at 80 mph

http://www.tristatesportbikes.com/fo...=100389#100389
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #17
Neal
Founding Member

good article,though a little late for us not living in the warmer climes.My leather does just fine when cooler than75.however,I have decided my Christmas present to myself will be a mesh jacket(i guess the dirt tracker Im building will be my birthday present). A comparo of various jackets would be much appreciated.I am interested in a mesh jacket with some armor.effectiveness in hot/humid weather is paramount.Any inputs appreciated
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:13 AM   #18
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Nice write-up, Martin.

And it sounds like you had another kid... Congratulations!

I purchased a mesh jacket when we were having record heat a few months ago here in So Cal. I have to say, these jackets are nice... untill the weather gets really hot.

Riding through the coastal mountain ranges in 80 degree weather is fine in a mesh jacket. Riding through the desert valleys in near 100 degree weather is a pain. When the hot air start whipping over your skin, you feel like your being cooked...

You ever notice how firemen's suits don't have vents? The idea is to keep the heat out.

When the weather gets hot, these vented jackets are nice. When the weather gets really hot, I reach for the cordura again.

YMMV
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:13 PM   #19
DaveFla
Founding Member

I've got a month's use on a red Phoenix 2.0, and it's great- I normally wear an older HJC leather, but it's MISERABLE at any temp over 75. I don't think I'd wear the Phoenix on a road trip, but for the 10 mile round trip to work, it rules. It was low seventies here in SW Michigan today, and I was actually feeling a bit cool on my bare arms, under the jacket.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 06:48 PM   #20
obandoj
Founding Member

I got a First Gear mesh jacket last year and I love the thing, I live in Arizona, so it gets lots of use, here in the desert you can wet your t-shirt and get very nice evaporative cooling effect, also got a zipper installed that is compatible with my leather pants so that I can zipper them to each other for better protection. The people who run Arizona Track Days let you wear them on the track as long as they zipper to each other (leather pants) and you don't go in the expert class, so I guess they think alot of them as well. I have not crash tested the thing, and don't plan on doing so anytime soon, so I don't know how well it would hold in that situation.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote