Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-16-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
cornercarver
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Ducati S4R Reader Feedback

I'm shocked at that price. Carbon fiber bits, mag wheels, Ti-nitride forks, all for $13.5K? That is a very un-Ducati price (almost too good to be believed, actually). Aprilia is going to have to think fast on its Tuono pricing, which lacks the CF, wheels, and Ti-Nitride but maybe packs a tad bit more punch than the Duc motor. Normally, comparing equivalent performance between Aprilias and Ducatis reveals at least a couple of thousand dollars of advantage to the Aprilia. Add an Ohlins/Penske rear shock and $500 Ohlins valve kit to those front forks and you'll have something to take on the Tuono Racing for several thousand dollars less, if that price is correct.

cornercarver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2003, 03:41 PM   #2
detansinn
Founding Member

The S4R doesn't come with Magnesium wheels. Per Ducati, they are "light alloy" -- aluminum.

I've seen the bike in person. It's a looker, but compared to the MV Brutale, it looks like ancient technology.
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:39 PM   #3
edfedup
Founding Member

I disagree completly. The Ducati V-Rod. This is the ugliest Monster made. The pipes just don't fit the bike--they don't really fit ANY bike. And the paint scheme also doesn't belong on a Monster. What the hell is Ducati thinking?! What next, solid wheels on a Monster? I'll take the air-cooled 1000 please.

Oh, and MO, WHAT'S UP WITH THE POP-UPS? Not a good thing.
edfedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:49 PM   #4
rider_md
Founding Member

ill take the 1000DS instead of the s4r

a naked bike IMHO should be clean... ie no wires, no hoses or crap like that in the guts. otherwise, what's the point of a naked -style bike? i'll just put on more comfortable grips for the superbike if thats what i wanted.

the exhaust is love it or hate it. i love it, but i can see where people are annoyed. again, CLEAN. same with the catalytic converter (WTF?)
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:58 PM   #5
edfedup
Founding Member

The tester/author makes that S4R look so lame. If there was anyone who could make a Monster look so uncool, it would be him. I guess a motorcycle can't make everyone look like a winner.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:58 PM   #6
bmw1959
Founding Member

A blue Ducati? Ducati's should come in any color you want, as long as it is red or yellow.
bmw1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:59 PM   #7
Captain_1
Founding Member

I saw one a few months ago at my local dealer. No thank you, I prefer my S4 which is really a sweet ride with the usual mods. Either is no contest compared to the Brutale in the styling department, but the Agusta is not a V-Twin. The S4R is Ducati's competitive response to the Tuono, but the Tuono is more exotic.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:13 PM   #8
staff
Registered Member

There are no pop-ups on MO. If you're getting pop-ups, you're infected with adware from some third-party.

Pop-up adware blows goats. Get Mozilla, www.mozilla.org and you can turn popups off globally.
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:18 PM   #9
Captain_1
Founding Member

Blue is for Yamahas. White wheels? NO WAY. The Monster Dark is way cool and is the best scheme since it contributes to the streetfighrt look. Having said that, the red/white Foggy S4 (also Ducati Performance red tank and bodywork for the aircooled models) is simply stunning.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:47 PM   #10
edfedup
Founding Member

Thanks!