Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2004 Hondas: Packed With Surprises! (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2104-2004-hondas-packed-surprises.html)

sqidbait 09-12-2003 04:16 PM

Re: For shame; new market?

With the price of gasoline now permanently higher on the U.S. West Coast, why don't the manufacturers start marketing older-technology (cheaper, more reliable and more profitable) models between 250cc and 550 cc, to frugally-minded commuters?

Because the demand just isn't there?

-- Michael

Vlad 09-12-2003 05:33 PM

Re: 2004 Hondas: Packed With Surprises!

The biggest surprise I see in the new 600's, the 599 and the FZ6 is the weight. Can someone explain why the Yamaha is 22 pounds heavier than the Honda and a full 66 pounds heavier than the R6? At 423 pounds for the Yamaha, one has to wonder why the SV 650 is only 370.

Francis

Flickmeister 09-12-2003 05:37 PM

Re: what's with the underseat exhausts?

Can't say that I'm a big fan of the underseat exhaust. It ruins underseat storage and makes an aftermarket exhaust system considerably more expensive. And I think it looks ugly when it comes from Japan. The only manufacturer to get it right was Ducati with their 916-996-998 series. Everytime I see a Nipponese underseat exhaust, I picture a V-Strom and have to reach for the Pepto-Bismol.

Mooner 09-12-2003 08:55 PM

O.K., I've read enough about hot underseat exhausts, and I've had enough. I have an '03 vfr that I have ridden in 90+ degrees (I know that's not that hot but we're talking mid 70's Minnesota dew points, HUMID!) after 7k, my @ss has never been more hot (or warm in cool weather) than on other bikes I have owned.

Not that I think that the under seat exhaust is not without it's downpoints. A hot butt is not a problem.

The_Aerodynamic_Head 09-13-2003 03:30 AM

So if it comes in threes, and the other two were Johnny Cash and John Ritter,

Should we now call it (John) Jack Blackbird?

The_Aerodynamic_Head 09-13-2003 03:35 AM

Re: Mea Culpa

At least he can console himself with the idea that conspicuity saves lives. Maybe not the lives of the cagers who see him; but see him they will.

The_Aerodynamic_Head 09-13-2003 03:43 AM

Newsflash, Friend. Stock cans on sportbikes are just not that heavy anymore. Most of the weight we lose with a third-party can is lost from the factory these days. And the longer pipe causing lost power? All these new-fangled race-reps are more powerful than their side-piped predecessors. They have to get both lighter and stronger every three years or so. So I'm guessing it's a combination of aerodynamics and maybe (at the pro level) groud clearance.

The_Aerodynamic_Head 09-13-2003 03:51 AM

Steel frames.

In the Honda's case, a special alloy of steel and lead, in a brick-shaped casting, forms the headstock. In the Yamaha's case, steel tubing thick enough to make one think it was stolen accidentaly from Kawasaki's industrial sewer pipe division. The difference between the two is the fairing.

SV? a-lu-min-ee-um.

sarnali 09-13-2003 04:45 AM

I don't care for underseat cans myself, In fact with the power stock bikes are making now aftermarket exhausts on the street are a waste of money anyway.

You'd be better off If you spent the money on good tires and track school instead of tossing a stock titanium exhaust system in the corner. If it's weight savings you're after, eat less.

triumph900 09-13-2003 06:04 AM

Spotted??!

Can it be, can it be, can it be...johnnyb?