Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-10-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
mconlon
Founding Member

Default Re: Booze & Debauchery @H-D's 100th

Funny that the couple of bikes featured on the MO homepage to lure people into the feature probably aren't even true Harleys. Looks like klones--anybody care to hazard a guess which brand? Even if they are modded, according to Harley's legal department, if they are sporting aftermarket frame or engine, they aren't Harleys anymore. Good thing they're painted different or we probably couldn't tell them apart.

Celebrating a 100th anniversary after closing mom and pop shops that kept them alive during the years they weren't doing so well, replacing these well meaning stalwarts with fashion stores which refuse to service or carry parts for pre-evo bikes takes a lot of nerve. The factory is also guilty of cashing in on a culture and lifestyle they officially disdain and litigation that have made them the laughing-stock of the industry (although successful industry leader laughingstocks anyone will admit...).

FTF.

Sorry to be such a critic. Any gathering of bikers, no matter what they ride, is a good thing, and showing up in that kind of force for sheer revelry no matter what the excuse, can only be a good thing. Party-on Harley dudes and dudettes.

Aside: In "The Bikeriders," the photographer caught on film and described men in bike gangs kissing each other to freak out the normals. This is why there are so many pictures of women kissing each other in the pix section, yes?

mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
Neal
Founding Member

Nice article.As an oldstyle HD guy(I hesitate to say hardcore),I chose to spend Labor Day at the AAMCA club meet in Davenport(a 1000 mile drive)where I got to ogle old Indians and harleys(including a tasty 8 valve Harley boardtreacker--in action at the track)and race my first dirt track race------in the brakeless 250 class on a borrowed Aermacchi-HD Sprint.But I enjoyed your recap----the words you used describe any biker gathering,whether it be an HD gathering,a group of KAWASUKIYAMADA sport riders or vintage racers.Ride safe and party hard!
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:12 PM   #3
scudracer
Founding Member

What's a Kawasukiyamada?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:21 PM   #4
adaleb
Registered Member

Hmmm, do the Chevy dealers stock OEM parts for 30 year old Corvettes?

Times change.
adaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
staff
Registered Member

You know the homepage images rotate, right?

Hit "reload" a coupla times, there's always four different images per feature...
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #6
Winger4Life
Founding Member

So that's where that trail of oil and parts on Interstate 80 leads.....
Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:56 PM   #7
mconlon
Founding Member

Couldn't tell you. I know the honda crowd was in an uproar when they announced they would no longer produce parts for bikes from the 60s...
Old 09-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #8
mconlon
Founding Member

Ut! My bad! The photo of the two "choppers" with flamed tanks is the one I'm refering to...
Old 09-10-2003, 04:12 PM   #9
Jim_Wang
Registered Member

BMW dealers stock parts for 30 year old bikes.
Jim_Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:12 PM   #10
DragonF6
Registered Member

Hopefully, the author wasn't trying to suggest that Harley's have a monopoly on this group camaraderie. Last July in Zanesville Ohio a thousand Honda Valkyries (yep, all same model...not just brand) enjoyed a similar magic...minus the clichéd tattoos, drunks and breast exposure. Harley riders "pretend" to ride to a different drummer...all in unison. We actually do it...without apologies. 6 cylinders vs 2...you do the math.

DragonF6 is offline   Reply With Quote