Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-11-2003, 06:39 PM   #41
kawazuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Booze & Debauchery @H-D's 100th

Neal, I swear I'm not just picking on you.

I know a bunch of guys who ride. (Girls too.) They really fall into two categories, though. Those who love motorcycles, and those who love Harley Davidsons. There's some overlap, in one direction. A number of the people I know and hang out with are Harley owners, but general motorcycle enthusiasts. They just like bikes, and happen to have a Harley. And then there are some guys who won't give the time of day to anything that's not a Harley. "I wouldn't ride one of those Japanese / Italian / German / Ukranian things if they were free! A hundred and fifty horsepower, or 2, I don't care. If it's not a Harley, it's not worth the steel it's made of."

There are people in both camps who ride 300 miles a year, and 30,000. This isn't about that issue. And I'm talking about 50 year olds here, not just young kids. And I do admit, there are guys I know who will not bag on anything except HD's, so I'm certainly aware it runs both ways.

I guess my only point is that there are narrowminded people in both scenes, and I'm unlucky enough to know some of 'em.

Well, ok, I probably wouldn't ride one of those Ukranian things either, at least until I'd given it a real good going through.

-Kawazuki (happy with my Yamaha, acknowledging it was HD styling that got me into motorcycles in the first place)
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2003, 06:27 AM   #42
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: seruzawa

But the problem IS all George Bush's fault.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 06:31 AM   #43
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Did you happen to see a Discovery crew?

With the popularity of the Discovery Channel and History Channel motorcycle shows I would bet that a documentary is in the works.

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 07:42 AM   #44
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Did you happen to see a Discovery crew?

no doubt. I wish they'd feature other brands instead of just HD and customs once in a while.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 07:59 AM   #45
bigjames
Premium Member

You know, I too detest the 'rubby' bikers. You know, shinny leathers and bikes, nose in the air, pipes louder than hell and attitudes to match. They think that their fecal matter is not odiferous.... I actually started riding BMW's at one point because of them, but kept the Harley. I too discovered that the VAST majority were folks there were just like me, folks who actually rode these beasts so many of you all simply don't get! I was also there, and had a blast.

For those of you who don't understand the Harley "thing", this kinda exsplains it...

A friend and I showed up at another friends in Indianapolis (we rode from Georgia) to ride up to Milwaukee with, got taken to a party of a social/service club he belongs to (not bike related) and was treated like family. Then met up with another of his friends (again treated like family, they didn't know us from Adam), they then found us all place to stay in Milwaukee (an older Gentleman put us up for free, all we had to do was haul him to the festivities and promise to send him a tee shirt from home) and the party just sort of grew from there. Don't think we met a "stranger" the whole time! The party was well covered, but the amazing thing was the number of folks that started waving on the way home, like everybody (except a group of jerks with dealer plates from Tennessee who still thought their excrement smelled like roses apparently). That was amazing! Have also noticed a lot more waving from all brands, may be the Harley faithful have started something, who knows!

Those of us who actually rode to Milwaukee (Choppers, Dressers, Sporsters (ouch) and Even Buells, Patch Holders, Independents and even the Rubs) really got it as our party started, like the man said, when we threw our legs over the bike and started to head "home". When one stopped for gas, there was always a couple of bikes (generally Harley-Davidsons) packed with too much gear and you didn't even have to ask where they were heading and everybody was smiling and in a good mood. Even the guys working on their bikes! Simply amazing!

Next month I get to do the same thing with the BMW Riders Association. Same mind set, different machines. Same things happens whether I show up on the BMW or a Harley! Bikes over packed for camping, all smiles, you know where they are heading.....

Now if we can just get this same vibe happening at Laconia, Daytona, Laughlin and Sturgis, wouldn't those little gatherings be a bigger blast.... I can dream can't I...
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:38 PM   #46
Neal
Founding Member

Agree with you 100% I just tend to hang with folk who ride for the love of riding and vintage racers who are as close to "hardcore"as anybody----we race HD,penton,CZ,CANAM,Honda,Bultaco,triumph,etc.,etc. I know there is intolerance on both sides and all ages.

Neal(happy with all 8 of my bikes and dreaming of more)
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 05:28 PM   #47
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

You sure spent alot of words justifying yourself for someone that doesn't give a F***.

I'll wage that you are one of these loud mouth flag wavers that never enlisted or spent a second of your time doing anything other than spouting your encouragement to those that do. I enlisted in the Corps and spent 4 years in the crotch. Currently I'm a councilman for my city and yes it is an elected position. You seem to be a loudmouth do nothing. Prove me otherwise. Oh yeah, I forgot, you don't care what I think. I got your number, all mouth, no guts, Limbaugh loving, shiite for brains. By the way, are you too old for the service? If not, then get your flaming arse down to the recruiter and be a man for the first time in your miserable *****yarsed life.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 07:13 PM   #48
ofreen
Registered Member

Sheesh. This kind of stuff could become depressing if I let it. What on earth is there to fight about? Bikes is bikes. What is it in us that, if there is nothing real to fight about, then we have to make something up? Maybe we do it for the entertainment value.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 08:53 AM   #49
seruzawa
The Toad

Did a year on gunboats in the Nam.

What was that about pussies? Just move to Europe. They just love commies like you over there.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:34 AM   #50
timpoole
Founding Member

Hey, all this opinionated *****in' about the relative goodness of HD vs Jap bikes reminds me of a T-shirt slogan that was popular in the '70's: "I'd rather push my Harley than ride a Honda".

I suspect that's still true for a lot of HD riders.

But yes, it is about the comraderie. When I ride a Harley, every HD rider I meet at least waves. At gas stops, they talk to you. When I ride a UJM (of which I've had many), the attitude of other UJM riders is totally different and nowhere near as friendly.

Long Live Harley-Davidson!
timpoole is offline   Reply With Quote