Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-10-2003, 10:10 AM   #71
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: Kawasaki already tried..

"Sucks" is a bit strong. The ZR7 was/is intended to be a "solid" standard...nothing extreme.

I think most motojournalists were underwhelmed because the engine was the same as what had been seen before in the Zephyr and the KZ750. The engine is proven and is very reliable, but nothing of note to folks who ride sportbikes every day.

I have a 2000 ZR7, and for what it is, it's a pretty decent bike. It's not a "sport-standard", but has some pretty solid features: a large tank, decent rubber, accessory hookup for electrical toys, etc. And while the performance is nothing special compared to other bikes, 4 second 0-60s and 1/4 miles in the low 12s still makes for a bike that destroys pretty much all traffic on the street.

The only real weakness is the 6000 mile valve adjustment intervals, which makes the bike somewhat pricey to maintain. Since where I live shop rates are pretty high, I broke down and learned how to do all the maintenance on my own.

If I was totally rational, I'd just keep my ZR7. There's nothing wrong with it, and it is fun to ride. However, I am interested in something new - just because - so I await the FZ6 showing up at my local dealers with baited breath....I was hoping that Kawasaki was going to remake the ZX6R into a Z636, but it look like Yamaha beat them to the punch.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2003, 10:30 AM   #72
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Wait No MO: 2004 Yamahas!

There's rumor of a new B12 and B6 based upon newer-gen GSXR motors....the comparo would be interesting if this is true...or a foregone conclusion in favor of Yamaha if not.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #73
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Is there a law or something?

Though the YZF600R doesn't have quite the same ergos as the new FZ6 and is more expensive, it's a comfortable, competent motorcycle.

The market is leaning towards a more extreme division between "replica" and "rational" sports bikes: the former with low clip ons and peaky motors, the latter with real handlebars and tuned for lower-end power. But both give something up: the replicas aren't that fun on the street and the rationals have some drawbacks at the track.

The FZ6 will probably be a better street bike than then YZF600R....but will it work as well on the track?

I guess it makes sense for the factories...now you gotta buy two bikes, and R6 and an FZ6 to handle street and track duty, instead of buying just the YZF600R!
Old 09-10-2003, 10:43 AM   #74
SmokeU
Registered Member

It's still faster than all but one HD too.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #75
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Wait No MO: 2004 Yamahas!

don't forget the dyno doesn't factor in ram-air...and Yamaha is including this effect in their 180hp claim...
Old 09-10-2003, 10:57 AM   #76
Woody650
Founding Member

Default Re: Uhh..

The VFR is a great bike, but not nearly as comfortable for commuting as a smaller, much lighter bike with a tubular handlebar (and a 40% lower price tag!).
Old 09-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #77
El_Duderino
Founding Member

Isn't it called the Z750? Not in the US, though. Not yet.
El_Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:58 PM   #78
rider_md
Founding Member

Default Re: Uhh..

yep gotta agree, i have a '03 vfr which i commute with every frickin day.

the latter bike you described would take care of daily commuting in a much more leisurely & enjoyable way, no doubt in my mind.

however, the strength of the vfr is in its ability to be a better jack-of-all trades that the latter bike. highway duty = good, touring = good, commuting = good, backroad blasting = good...

ive done all of the above with it... it wasn't the best bike ive ridden for ANY of those things, but it did do them ALL well. and hardbags are a must, i love them to death for commuting... tho lane sharing is not to be taken lightly with those hunks on.
rider_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:19 PM   #79
Stonedog
Founding Member

Default Re: Is there a law or something?

Comparo between the SV650 and this? Well... the FZ6 seems to have a 20+ horsepower advantage - I'd think it'd stomp the SV performance wise. Ergos become the real differentiator I guess (that and the new SV's frame and monster radiator look like crap).

If I had the money for a new bike this would be near the top of my list. The new SV650 wouldn't be on the list - but a used one would be.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #80
Orangetrak
Registered Member

Default The naked version....

..is the essence of the SV. The SVS is a cheap-o, wanna-be sportbike for people who don't/want/can't pony up the dollars for a real sport bike. The naked SV, however, embodies all that the SV was meant to be. Light, inexpensive, responsive, wind-in-the chest-NAKED!! I realize the SVS actually sells better than the SV, but that's missing the point. The fact that the SVS is slower than every other sport bike is always an issue with them, but NEVER with the owner of a SV. SVS owners are always trying to make their bike into something it's not; hence the huge aftermarket. ( Al in all, not the worst thing....) There are a TON of bikes better than the SVS for Sport-touring, but none better than the SV for old fashioned, Brit-style riding.

I've never had a bike with a fairing, but who knows what the future holds......
Orangetrak is offline   Reply With Quote