Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-10-2003, 05:36 AM   #61
SparkyBlue
Founding Member

Default Re: Wait No MO: 2004 Yamahas!

acecycleins IS right of course. I personally know of 2 R1s wadded up in the last couple of years. Why? Too much bike, Too little rider. Welcome to the game of high performace, and it's expensive to play. Insurance is one reason I have BMW. I'll pay cash for the next one with liability only.
SparkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2003, 05:36 AM   #62
oldtim
Founding Member

Default Re: Is there a law or something?

You hit the nail on the head for me too. I admit it; I love plastic. A full faired sport bike with real handlebars and lower pegs. I guess that would be a semi-sports bike...
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:50 AM   #63
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Is there a law or something?

To answer your question... no one would buy it. Well, not enough people to justify it.

Look at the evolution of sportbikes. The Japanese have learned that the sportbikers want the "latest and greatest" trackstyle bikes. That's what they shell out their money for. It matters not that 99.999% of them only ride on the boulevards clad in T-shirts and ballcaps. Thay want the torture racks. Hardly any of them spend any more than a few minutes riding from cafe to cafe anyhow, so they never are subject to the torturous pain of long rides on CBRRRRRRs.

People like you who want true sport performance in a more reasonable ergonomic package are in the minority. Not enough numbers for the Big4 to care about.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:32 AM   #64
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default just what this country needs ...

another hand-wringing weenie bureaucrat.

do yourself a favor pal and stop worrying about me. i can take care of myself. and by all means, deny me insurance coverage. it's a sure bet that'll stop me from riding high-perf bikes.

jeez ... guys like you give liberals a bad name.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:51 AM   #65
MRVW
Registered Member

Default Re: EEEEEEEEEEEEwwwwwwwwww

Ugly ass, maybe, but non-negotiable to those of us with 1-slot garages who have to fit our bike between a car and a wall.
MRVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 07:02 AM   #66
Big_Jim
Founding Member

At least now with the new R1 Mladin will have a little competition in AMA superbike next year. I wonder if both Buckmaster and hacking will ride it now with no big bikes in formula x-treme.

Next year is going to be a great year for racing. <ul> Bring it on.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #67
micty
Founding Member

Funny, it seems that the FZ6 is receiving attention for the same characteristics that were pooh-poohed for the 00-02 ZX6R -- stability, cushy suspension, good midrange power, etc. Perhaps Kawi should resurrect the old ZX6R to compete with the FZ6 and SV650 -- (whether in current form, or half-faired, or naked; 636cc engine if possible)
micty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:26 AM   #68
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Uhh..

"Relaxed ergo, full faired, looks like a sportbike but comfy"... Isn't it called a VFR? Unfortunatly, its an extra $4k on the pricetag.

And I disagree on the aftermarket lowers, the Lockheart-Phillips lower for the Bandit 600 looks really nice, as does the airtech lower for the SV650. we'll probably see similar for the Fazer 600 if it proves popular.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:55 AM   #69
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Kawasaki already tried..

It is called the ZR-7S and it sucks. It definately used the same template as the FZ6 (namely the Bandit 600), it has a center stand, optional hard luggage, reasonable ergos, and only costs $6K. However, the execution of the project sucked and even in the first year when moto journalists see a new bike through rose colored glasses (or beer googles in the case of a few), everyone said it blew.

If Kawasaki wanted to get serious about this segment, they'd need to reinvent the ZR-7S and that is probably another two or three years off.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 10:08 AM   #70
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't forget

Yup - The Speed 4. There still are a couple on the showroom floor here in Sacto.

A great bike and now at a terrific price if you want brakes and suspension with a sufficiently torquey motor. But hardly anyone wants that. They want the latest repli- racer, buzz-bomb. Same reason why Harley's sell so well. It's what you think the bike makes you.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote