Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-09-2003, 06:47 PM   #41
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

Default Re: Wait No MO: 2004 Yamahas!

So be at MO from time to time. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Or, to use the vernacular, one "oh sh!t" outdistances a thousand "attaboys."
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2003, 06:51 PM   #42
saaz
Registered Member

A bit early to say who is second fiddle untill the bikes are tested! Looks and specifications have to work....
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 PM   #43
daithi
Founding Member

I hate to burst everybodys bubble but this new bike is a lot uglier than the current Europe only( now discontinued) Fazer 600. Too bulbous, espc the tank, weird looking actually. The motor, too is rather peaky. being derived from the R6. The European fazer has the YZF(thundercat) engine, better for city use. Also, the europe bike has the R1 brakes!!! I dont deny its a very decent welcome addition to the range over here though. Very practical, and sensible even!!!!!
daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:14 PM   #44
ifije
Founding Member

Default FUGLY

sorry - that bike is fugly...

it looks like the redheaded step child of a suzuki Vstrom and a bandit.

good price point.

ugly bike.

shaddap with the fairings comment - its not an R6 for chrissake. but the bike is still f-ing ugly.
ifije is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:45 PM   #45
peinados
Founding Member

Default Re: Is there a law or something?

I agree completely. Now I'll just have to shell out more money to buy the official Yamaha lower fairing. OK, it's cheap (for a new bike), but I'll be buying a 6k bike because that's all i can afford, not because i want to personallize it. FZ6 or SV650S, whomever coughs up a fully faired version first gets my money. Hmmmmm... comparo please!
peinados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #46
john
Founding Member

they have been saying that for the last 15 years.

Unfortunately it just isnt true.

With the big motors come better suspension and brakes. Which do you think is more dangerous.....an H1 or H2 with a nice noodle frame with a permaweave built in above 60 and an anchor for a brake, or an extremely stable surefooted machine that stops in the blink of an eye

The vast majority of the buyers do not come so close to the bikes edge that the bike wont take care of them. the ones that do....well......RIP.

But they are in teh minority enough that the Ins co makes their money, and that is why it hasnt happened.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:27 PM   #47
Rabs999
Founding Member

Hi Ya craig_w, I like you am keen to see some specs on the Honda and '04 Suzuki...one can imagine Suzuki will make a few mods to the current Gixxer thou and maybe hit 165+hp at the crank up from the current 162hp.

I saw some specs on the '04 ZX10R, which suggested 165kg's dry, or 363lbs, and 160hp at the crank. So the R1 has a huge advantage re power to weight if the 180hp figure is to be believed.

However a real world review of the bike and it's competitors with rwhp figures and some decent comparos will put everything in perspective, tho I expect the R1 to pull some impressive numbers...it's all good for Johnny consumer!

Rabs.
Rabs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:29 PM   #48
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Why get the Naked version?

It's not just the headlight. There's also the issue of the instrument cluster. I know they look the same, but I'd bet that their housings are different. Not to mention that it now has to mount to the headlight and not the fairing. I would expect to see a whole kit, and I haven't seen any manufacturers offer a kit to turn a faired bike into a naked.

Those are usually reserved for those that dump their bikes, don't want to spend the money to get a new fairing, and opt for some "streetfighter" aftermarket headlights.

Rich
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:14 PM   #49
aknopak
Founding Member

Yep, and the FZS600 was the top seller in Europe, thoroughly beating the SV650 (the benchmark bike over here in the European sales stakes every year since it's introduction.

While the SV650 was/is highly acclaimed, the FZS has won every comparo so far, it really is that good. The best thing is its versatility, it's a really good allround bike, better than the SV for commuting and touring (relaxed ergo's, less maintenance), and you'll see it at tracks as well.

Note that the FZS engine is actually a completely re-engineered engine, only the basis is the same as the YZF engine. For instance the angle of the cylinders is different from the Thundercat's, it has different cams, carbs etc, hardly any parts are interchangeable. All in all making one of the smoothest 600's out there (more torque than the YZF).

The frame is not nearly as good as the SV's, but the 30 hp surplus of power and the R1 brakes make up for it. Oh yeah, the gearbox sucks, like most Yamaha gearboxes.

The new frame of the FZ6 is a major step forwards, but I agree that the fairing and underseat exhaust are a bit of a step back.

Not sure about the R6 engine though, I bet it has been 'tuned for torque' as well... Meaning that it will definitely have less top-end, and maybe a bit more torque than the R6. But with the power of the R6 engine there should be plenty power left though.

With the huge FZS following, the new bike will be a strong seller as well, it's (cheap!) do-it-all bikes like this that people need.

BTW, it seems Yamaha had to discontinue the FZS because it couldn't meet next year's emission standards in some countries.
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:51 PM   #50
ukthunderace
Founding Member

Insurance companies will always make their money, it is just a matter of how MUCH profit they will make. If their margin isn't good enough, they will start to refuse...they already do that here in Europe.

As for new machines being stable etc...that is true for those who have developed the skills to use it. Those who jump on an R1 without those skills will crash..not because of the bike, but because they lack mental ability to lean the bike over that bit further to make that second apex they didn't know about. That is why single vehicle incidents are on the rise...people get a machine with huge power that their friends can ride fast...they try to keep up and find they are outside their abilities...unfortunately it is often too late.
ukthunderace is offline   Reply With Quote