Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-04-2003, 10:03 AM   #11
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: And

Sure, a stronger thread will live up to abrasion better. (Mind you it isn't some abstract concept, we all know what it is and isn't) The problem is that a higher denier doesn't mean stronger, it just means heavier. Like I said, if the threads are the same material, higher also means thicker (though not necessarily "stronger").

Fabric industry is something that I follow as a casualty of work I've done in the past. You can only be involved in the assembly of automotive seats and the QA for so long before you start to ask what everything means. You also start to get very scared if you start trying to figure out how good that new mystery fabric is. (I'm still trying to figure out what Roc-Tex is.)
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2003, 10:12 AM   #12
kawazuki
Founding Member

On the other hand, while a thicker thread will not necessarily have a better level of abrasion resistance, if it is of identical material, the thicker material will have greater abrasion time before destruction, that is, it will take abuse longer before failing. Which translates directly into sliding down the road further before your new jacket has holes in it and we begin testing the abrasion resistance of human flesh. (Undeniably, less than the abrasion resistance of ballistic nylon.)

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 10:16 AM   #13
kawazuki
Founding Member

On the gripping hand, it should be noted that many materials do display strength to cross-section ratios. Though, I suppose we aren't really interested in tensile or shear strength per se, but rather the effect of erosion on the material.

Is there a term, or a defined measure, for abrasion resistance?

-Kawazuki
kawazuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 AM   #14
staff
Registered Member

Default Sniglets

But, "Denier" when used for fabrics is a sniglet:

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"

Denier De*ni"er, n.

One who denies; as, a denier of a fact, or of the faith, or

of Christ.

"Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)"

Denier De*nier", n. F. denier, fr. L. denarius a Roman silver

coin orig. equiv. to ten asses, later, a copper, fr. deni ten

by ten, fr. the root of decem ten; akin to E. ten. See Ten,

and cf. Denary, Dinar.

A small copper coin of insignificant value.

My dukedom to a beggarly denier. --Shak
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:12 AM   #15
southwindphoto
Registered Member

Default test subjects

While I am not saying we should use terrorist prisoners as test subjects, I will say that what we need is test dummies weighted to say 250- lbs, dressed in these clothes, and uniformity shoved out the backside of a pickup truck at 70mph.

If you have access to a test track, it would make a great column.

[b]Further, you could just let the pictures of the jackets tell the story.

Member of
Florida Outdoors Writers Association
Harley Owners Group
southwindphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:05 PM   #16
Vlad
Registered Member

Default About leather

I'm not certain where he's going with that closing paragraph, but for the money, fabric generally offer superior abrasion resistance than leather. In fact, when you get into the higher weight fabrics, I'm not certain that leather can beat it. Leather has certain advantages, sure, but fabric is the better way to go on the street. Except for the "I'm cool factor," of course. The reason the aerostitch is the boss dog of street wear is partially because of the inherent ability of fabric to be washable, wearable, abrasion resistant, and resistant to the elements.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:10 PM   #17
ossa
Registered Member

Default Re: No replacing an original...

If you want to search for quality jackets/boots/gloves at the best possible price, try http://www.newenough.com. Not only do they have good prices, but they also list fitment charts (in addition to the manufacturers charts that may be a little off for us 'morons) and comments on the construction of the jackets/boots/gloves that they stock. Try looking at their hot weather textiles.
ossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 02:16 AM   #18
grubz916
Registered Member

Default Re: test subjects

Or at the very least, lets see how long they hold up under a belt sander, with say 60 grit paper??

I don't know how the manufacturers would react to such obviously destructive and imprecise testing, but it'd sure be fun!!
Old 09-05-2003, 04:36 AM   #19
Lowrez
Founding Member

I don't know if there is a standard mesaure for abrasion resistance or not. It really isn't much of an issue when assembling seats. Why the threads keep breaking and why we use 43 staples per seat when only 25 are in the finished product are the more important questions.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:39 AM   #20
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: Sniglets

You must be using an old copy of Webster's. Take a look at m-w.com and the second entry for denier is this:

2 /'de-ny&r/ : a unit of fineness for yarn equal to the fineness of a yarn weighing one gram for each 9000 meters