Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-03-2003, 01:26 PM   #91
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Default Re: Following

I put 1000 miles on my V-Rod in one day about a month ago. No I wasn't sore at all and yes I WILL do it again. Torture rack? I think not.
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2003, 05:11 AM   #92
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Harleys Reader Feedback

Well if nobody else says it, I'll say THIS IS A BIG WHOPPING DISAPPOINTMENT.

Triumph comes with a 2.3 litre whopper, Kawa shows us a 2 litre V2 baby and Honda introduces an intergalactial battleship. What does HD do: some rubber mounting to the worst bike in the world, with a notable exception of Blast, and some new paint.

-cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 06:02 AM   #93
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

C'mon guys, it's been a week now showcasing the 2004 Harley lineup.

How about we move on to something more exciting. Like maybe a showcase of the 1959 Shriners parade Cushman Eagles?

They handle about the same...

Old 09-05-2003, 10:41 AM   #94
tkleeblatt
Founding Member

You've obviously never ridden a bike with any soul. I rode a wing once after I welded up his broken frame. Felt like a Winnebago 2 wheeler. Couldn't wait to get off all the while hoping none of my friends saw me.
tkleeblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:15 AM   #95
hsjrev
Founding Member

Actually, according to HD's website, the '04 Sportster is 63 pounds heavier than the '03. Holy pork, Batman!
hsjrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:37 AM   #96
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Re: EBassEBassEbass

That's just Smurfy. I say "Smurf you!"

And Smurf eBass. And Smurf on the new Smurfley-Davidson Smurfster.

Smurf all y'all.

Sincerely,

The Aerodynamic Smurf
Old 09-08-2003, 12:29 PM   #97
riles
Founding Member

Why would anyone pay 20,000 for 1950's technology? I guess thats why they have to live in trailers.
riles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:16 PM   #98
kaudette
Founding Member

A couple of observations...

The new Harleys - The writer "Ebass" and many others seem to have a problem with the sportster not being up to HD standards in terms of style, performance, character... Well, being someone who rides Buell (yeah, an XB so not a "real" tuber... but having ridden Nortons, Triumphs, Yams & Hondas..) I finally rode a 1200 Sport a few weeks back and have to say I'm at a loss as to what's wrong with the ride (specifically character department!). Sure it shakes over 4G but with the screamin eagle exhaust and an S&S, the thing really moves! In addition it reminded me of a 60's big block - all the vibration, low end power, character, etc... It handles well in the twisties and the brakes are OK once you get to know them (could be better...) All in all, stepping back onto my XB it felt too refined!

Granted it is not a 500 mile a day bike but for 250 or so it is great - nothing like feeling a motor "work" to move. For those that appreciate character, raw mechanical sensations, and fine quality it is one of few bikes out there that have all three. With the new silent blocks and chassis upgrades it should be even better.

As for the V-Rod - why they haven't built a sport / cruiser chassis around the motor? You can't touch the motor - that's why. No aftermaket, no perf mods, no pipes, etc... Harley makes bucketloads of money selling mid to entry level bikes and then upgrading them (and outfitting people in gaudy HD apparel) - they can't do this with the 1130 because the powerplant is too expensive even on a semi "mass" scale so the entry-price would be too high. Buell couldn't afford the powerplant and still sell bikes at comparable prices. Finally, the aftermarket for a new chassis would take 2-3 years to develop and HD would be looking at a mess in terms of brand and segment positioning - unfortunately HD is a marketing driven company these days and until the marketing folks get the above worked out no 1130 in the near future. (I'd expect another 4 years before it happens the question is who do you upgrade with - the HD people who would find the 1130 strong on power but wimpy on character - no-go, or the Buell crowd who would likely find the same - the only viable option is new buyers who come without a priori - in any case it would be a mess in the marketing dept...)
kaudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #99
Catfan
Founding Member

You either like them (Harleys), or you don't. They are what they are. Trying to compare them to sport bikes or anything else outside of metric cruisers is apples vs. oranges.

That being said I think Harley did a nice job with the Sportster custom. They kept the Sportster "essence" while taming the vibes. If you need to know what the Sportster essence is go to the Vance & Hines web sight & look at the sportster pictured in the "straightshots" page. If that doesn't do it don't try anymore, it's like looking at a super clean Triumph Bonnie & calling it ancient crap, you just don't get it.

Let's face it, these things are cruisers! The sporty is one of the original catalysts that spawned the incredible choices we have today. Long live the Sportster.
Catfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 07:15 AM   #100
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Probably because they want a REAL MOTORCYCLE and not a two-wheeled Civic like the Wing.