Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Urals'R'Us: Three Up on the Parkway (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2070-uralsrus-three-up-parkway.html)

wwalkersd 08-25-2003 05:27 PM

Re: Urals'R'Us: Three Up on the Parkway

Good stuff! Now this is _real_ motorcycle touring. So, how did the wife and sprout like the trip?

Orangetrak 08-25-2003 07:08 PM

As neat as it is to wax ( And read about ) poetic about taking a archaic, oil-flinging, valve-cover launching trike on a trip, replacing parts as you go is a bit much for me. A little 'character' is fine, but towing a Ural parts warehouse behind me is not what I had in mind. If my refridgerator-reliable bike has no character, then so be it. Also, dragging the 13 year old would cave in the whole prospect. Kudos to this guy for a great trip and story.

Steven_Verschoor 08-25-2003 08:29 PM

Wow, what a neat moto tour. I can't turn a wrench, so I would've been hitching home, but you seem to have done just fine.

The kid didn't wear a helmet? Oh well, he's young. If he gets his head knocked off it will grow back, right?

Glad you and your family had a safe and pleasnt trip. Thanks for sharing.

rider_md 08-25-2003 09:17 PM

very readable. i enjoyed it thoroughly.

thanks for sharing. :)

another reminder of why i shelled out 11 something bucks instead of going to the burrito hut. ;)

Brent_Meeker 08-25-2003 09:58 PM

I always see Urals with sidecars. How does it work as a solo? I recently rode a friends 1961 BMW R50 (22hp) and it wasn't bad - very relaxed compared to riding my Aprilia RS250.

piinob 08-26-2003 12:29 AM

Great Story!! I could get addicted to this web-site. It is really good to hear from people who know that you don't have to have 100 high tech horsepower to tour.

RonXX 08-26-2003 02:53 AM

An enjoyable read.

bobbob_3 08-26-2003 03:04 AM

Great story - thank you. I did almost the exact same route in late June, and highly recommend the Inn at Little Switzerland for breakfast. Nothing beats the Blueridge Pkwy from Cherokee to Ashville. Past that, it gets somewhat more congested - and with more speed patrol.

longride 08-26-2003 04:01 AM

Nice writeup on a great ride. Enjoyable read all the way.

ducatirdr 08-26-2003 04:15 AM

This is a great example of the internet at work. More reader submitted stories with a free membership for the year would be a great idea. I love these stories from the road. even more so when the winter rolls in and virtual tours on-line get me through the unridable months.

Please God if you're reading MO today, not another winter like last year. I didn't see my bike for 6 months. Had the worse case of seasonal affective disorder. Ended up spending a couple thou for a trip to Daytona for a fix.... Ahhh Daytonaaaaaaaaaaaaa.