Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Urals'R'Us: Three Up on the Parkway (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2070-uralsrus-three-up-parkway.html)

nokneedragin 08-26-2003 04:18 AM

Re: Urals'R'Us: Three Up on the Parkway

Brings back alot of memories, the Blueridge, and sundry hidden roads off of it, is the best ride in the US. Yes Ive done the PC, and a good hunk of the Rockies. There is just a feel to the Appalachians that is missing from the West coast roads.

Great write up, don't think I will be buying a Ural any time soon.

SRMark 08-26-2003 04:39 AM

First of all, she is your wife and YOU should have insisted that the kid come along. You make it sound like he is some sort of unwanted baggage. The kid will sense that and plot mean things against you. Second, and more to the point, why not buy a good used bike and attach an after-market sidecar? The inconvenience the Ural put you through was also experienced by your loved ones. I'm sure they had a ball putting up with all the yelling that resulted. The possiblity of being stranded in the North Carolina mountains was, no doubt, appealing to them too. Hows about a nice used Guzzi/Watsonian combo? Or older ST1100/Calfornia Sidecar? Just a thought to make the motoring a little happier. As a car magazine once wrote about a Yugo, "If you have to buy new, save longer and buy something else."

navion_pa1 08-26-2003 04:42 AM

If I remember correctly, the Ural side rig is

set to drive the side car wheel, in effect you

end up with two driving wheels on this set up.

A guy ran a Ural in the 2001 IBR, and did nothing but repair it all across the country.

Best story was using a drill bit for a pushrod

somewhere in WY.

David

seruzawa 08-26-2003 05:57 AM

I gotta hand it to ya Vlad... ya got balls! I'm not sure I'd have the guts to try touring on a Russian motorcycle. I've already gotten my own lifetime quota of roadside wrenching riding Britbikes. But heck ya did it. A far greater accomplishment than any number seamless tours on refrigerators.

A trip like that is one that'll stand out in memory far over any number of fast, smooth problem free sporttours. The people who can't understand just how rewarding a ride like that on an old fashioned motorcycle can be are to be pitied.

mconlon 08-26-2003 06:10 AM

Excellent trip report. These are the kinds of stories I'd love to see more of on MO. I've always been curious about bikes like the Ural and Royal Enfield. Now, I think I'll stay away--if I want a bike like that, I'll buy an older bike with more online (and off-) support. For a more modern, more reliable rig, I'd probably opt for a Velorex (cheap) sidecar on any number of fairly newer standart-style bikes, like an 80s Suz GS, or even the new Triumph Bonneville. Anyone tried to hack a new Bonnie yet?

SmokeU 08-26-2003 06:53 AM

I was at the most local Triumph dealer(250ish miles away) and caught a wiff of some nasty perfume and started hacking on a new Bonnie. That's the closest I've come to hacking one.

maladg 08-26-2003 10:43 AM

What a delightful article! Any MOron who is passing through ATL should drop in on the dealer mentioned in the article - Blue Moon, Norcross (NE 'burb). You won't be disappointed.

cyclesteve 08-26-2003 10:45 AM

This story works for me. These are my roads of choice too. Next time I would suggest you skip Hwy 19 and go up GA 60 ( an excelent Rd) to Suches GA and stop in at TWO (Two Wheels only). It is a step up from the Blue Ridge Cycle Campground. I have tried em both and this place is like home. twowheelsonly.com

sanchin 08-26-2003 10:48 AM

I love riding as much as anyone and have 3 bikes to keep me busy in warm weather. But int the winter nothing beats skiing. There are no radar guns and I can pretty much go as fast as I want considering what my middle-aged body can handle. Now the only time of year I hate is the time after winter hits but before the snow falls, and the spring mud season when it is impossible to get a motorcycle from my backyard sheds to the road.

kawazuki 08-26-2003 10:58 AM

I just adore the way those bikes look. Now, if I could buy just a set of plans for one, and then build my own (using somewhat more modern BMW parts) so that it would be, oh, wired correctly, and somewhat reliable, that'd be great.

-Kawazuki

Then again, mostly it boils down to "I want one of everything cool, and two of some of them."