Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-19-2003, 09:10 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: LA X Games Sick Pics

How about you leave now and we call it even?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2003, 09:31 AM   #22
kman45
Founding Member

ya lucky sum-buck, I got 219 dreaded days left. Oh well, only 30 weeks, so maybe 30 more times I'll also have to be disappointed/pissed. Almost nothing of interest has come across here in months. As you so well state, hit the friggin road and give us something fun to read about instead of regurgitating the same news we can get for free anyplace else.

Recently picked up a PB, after not having read one in years. It had a road test involving the Z1000 and VFR800 (and others). I have the Z1000, buddy has VFR. Where else do you get such a wacky test, not US. Where else do the staffers actually buy the bikes and report? Not the US?

can I get a rebate of the $6 I have left? course it will probably cost me $6.95 shipping and handling to get the damn check back so why bother?
kman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #23
Sam_Freed
Registered Member

Here's an idea, why don't you osteoporotic droolers take the $12 and get yourself a subscription to Wheelchair World, or Nose Hair Farmers Weekly?

I can't believe that anyone with a pulse could actually ***** about the X Games coverage with all those amazing photos. Damn, if you can't appreciate what those guys are doing to explore the boundaries of what is possible on a motorcycle, you might as well dig a 6 foot deep hole, climb in, and pull your tattered old Brit mags over your already rotting corpses.

Sam_Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:05 PM   #24
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

20 inch frame bicycles are for children. That is what they ride in the halfpipe.

There is a big difference between doing flips 10 ft over a halfpipe on a 15lb bmx bike and doing flips 30 ft in the air on a 250cc moto. I can't do either one, but that doesn't make it the same in terms of skill or ballz.

I'm just saying the moto guys are in a different league from the bmx and skate punks.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:06 PM   #25
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

20 inch frame bicycles are for children. That is what they ride in the halfpipe.

There is a big difference between doing flips 10 ft over a halfpipe on a 15lb bmx bike and doing flips 30 ft in the air on a 250cc moto. I can't do either one, but that doesn't make it the same in terms of skill or ballz.

I'm just saying the moto guys are in a different league from the bmx and skate punks.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:55 PM   #26
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yeah, there's a huge difference- the BMX bikes have no motor and no suspension. Given that, a fifteen foot jump on a BMX bike with no suspension using only your own legs for power is more impressive to me than a 30 foot jump on a moto bike with a foot of suspension travel and a powerful motor.

Just because you think that BMX and skateboards are for kids doesn't mean the rest of the world thinks the same way. If anyone needs to get a life it is YOU for getting bent out of shape about how other people have fun.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:11 PM   #27
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Lets see now:

Motorcycles- last time I checked, YZs and RMs were motorcycles. So are the new Triumphs, GP bikes, and the new Fazer 600, all of which were featured in stories in the last week on this site. That's typically the same amount of content you would see in a month of a print mag, especially your beloved British mags.

Tires- I (and most other people) don't care how much faster a certain tire is around Donington Park on a GSX-R1000, so the British tire tests are irrelevant. Just because Cycle World does them at Laguna Seca doesn't make them any more relevant.

Riding Techniques- are you kidding? I've read the riding techniques in the British magazines- learning to do wheelies and "riding down the centerline of the road for increased visibility" are NOT what a magazine should be advising its readers to do on the street. If you want to learn to do wheelies, get a dirtbike. If you really ride down the centerline of the road, you're going to be picking Peterbilt's out of your front teeth.

American Iron? Talk about un-original- I can only read so many stories on how to hop up a Twin-Cam 88 motor with the exact same parts. Add to that the exact same photography in each story (uh, let's see, this month let's do the burnout with a thumbs up again) and you have a recipe for an incredibly boring magazine.

Helmet comparos- completely meaningless. There is no test more subjective than a helmet test. I can figure this out for myself with as much accuracy as any magazine editor.

Old 08-19-2003, 01:11 PM   #28
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: but is it art?

They still do that. This is just something different.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:14 PM   #29
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yeah, they're really great for one out of five U.S. guys who are looking for a sport bike. For the other four, the British mags might as well be writing about washing machines.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:43 PM   #30
Lowrez
Founding Member

Default Re: but is it art?

the [modern] layout is designed to not only test skill but also bravery

Let's be clear about one thing. Modern motocross requires skill and bravery, but no more than motocross did before. The difference, in my mind, was that the old bikes were risks to ride around any course where today you need to invent something pretty wild to challenge the rider.

As for style in riding, you are correct in that the greatest riders of years gone by oozed style as they rode, but no more or less than the style exhibited by today's racer. I think it is just easier to see the skill and grace of performing a double backflip and landing cleanly than zipping around a corner without getting caught up in the ruts. Back then you had to understand the race in order to see the skill, today you simply need to realize that going 30ft in the air isn't easy.

Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote