Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-11-2003, 03:35 PM   #1
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R90s Feedback

Great story and beautiful bikes.

I have a '77 R100/7 that has been turned into a poor man's imitation with an airtech bikini fairing circa GS1000 and an RS seat. Blasphemy I suppose, but at least it is an $1800 blasphemy.

Alas, I find her rather boring and have grown tired of her. She is going up for sale, to be replaced by a big bore dual sport to share garage space with the TL1000S. Now there is a twin that is fun to ride
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
jsimpson
Founding Member

My first Beemer was a R60US that I bought for $800. I restored it and unfortunately let it go after a few years. It was by far the smoothest and quietest bike I ever owned (including a six jug Wing), and was the most satisfying in every respect except all-out performance. People would roll down their windows at traffic lights to see if it was running. On cold mornings, I would sit on the seat, push the primers twice, give the starter pedal one kick while remaining seated, and the bike would purr to life. Import and Harley riders occasionally applauded when we'd leave a haunt and they were trying to get their bikes started. My second Beemer was a R1100RT, very competent and much faster than the old R60US, but not nearly as smooth, and quite sterile by comparison! I didn't keep it long, prefering the company of my 99 Excelsior Henderson.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:05 PM   #3
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Most enjoyable read. Thank you.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 06:56 PM   #4
piinob
Founding Member

Great Story. May we have some more please?
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:59 PM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

Great story, Reminds me of my '79 R100RT that was given to me when my dad quit riding.

My wife and I rode the wheels of that bike with nary a problem, I had to sell it when my youngest daughter was born because we wuz' poor in those days.

I think airhead beemers still feel like real motorcycles, I'm afraid the new ones don't do anything for me.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 12:56 AM   #6
saaz
Registered Member

Great story. In my early year I always had a bit of a thing for the R90s (and some of those add pic!).

It was a sports bike in the sense of a sporting way to travels great distances in comfort on any type of road, not sport in the sense of "my back and arms are killing me after 50ks...need a cafe stop"
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 01:00 AM   #7
saaz
Registered Member

Oh yes...the story was perfecting understandable and coloured with great descriptions.

I also understand US english to a large degree...although you do have funny spelling (and accents for that matter)!
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 02:14 AM   #8
stogieBill
Founding Member

Thanks for the great read. Once again I am reminded of my lost lust for these beemers. I had a very greedy friend whom owned two of the '74 R90S's. One in the orange and the other in the charcoal/silver. He never even fired them up unless he was going on a jaunt of 100 miles or more. Some people!
stogieBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:05 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I remember wanting an orange one back in 1976. I saw it at a Beemer dealership and left drool marks all over it. Since I didn't have 2 nickles to rub together at that time, I had to settle for my 72 Bonnie instead. Good article that brought back some memories.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:57 AM   #10
Mooner
Founding Member

"In Rotterdam, a skull city if ever I saw one, some snapperhead ripped both front indicators clean off their stalks and carried them away to its nest"

I just love the way those crazy British folks make up preposterous words and sayings. Real good guys to party with too, but good luck getting a word in. Great article.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote