Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-13-2003, 09:20 AM   #21
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: BMW R90s Feedback

Glorious absolutely Glorious!

Thanks for not Americanizing the English! It's amazing what the founders of the language can do with/to it!

BTW, for those who forgot. the R90S was the first US Superbike Champion, with a Nascar stype interperataion of the rules.....

I will abuse my BMW on the way home from work tonight as a result! Zoom.....tame motorcycles my arse....

BigJames
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2003, 09:28 AM   #22
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Gee, you didn't mention that they have a R90S...

for sale, or at least an unrestored perfect one on the floor. Burnt Orange and Silver I believe. And yes, I can verify that you really need to go by there. John Landstrom (der owner) has built up quite an impressive collection! Take the Jimmy Carter Exit on I85....just go to http://www.bluemooncycle.com, there are directions there......
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 11:56 PM   #23
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

What? Two spark plug heads weren't stock? ect.etc.etc.. It was a glorious time before fully enclosing fairings when much of the cheating needed to be "hidden" in plain sight. Cook Neilson's Ducati... Only the Mighty Z-1's were truely "legal" (lol). Nobody said much, to the AMA, something about glass houses...
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 03:43 AM   #24
3b
Founding Member

I have owned 12 Beemers over the last 30 years including 1 R90S. Unfortunatly the fool I bought it from had pimped it up by putting on a touring fairing and chromed the valve covers and various other parts. I had bought is as part of a package of 5 Beemers all in some state of disrepair. I was in need of cash at the time so I fixed the bike mechaically and sold it to a fellow that felt he wanted a chalenge to get it right cosmetically.

Meanwile back at the ranch, This is one of the best things I have read on this websight. Not just because it was about one of my first loves when I was a lad but it was real and appealing. I hope that you'all can come across more stories of the same ilk.
3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:53 AM   #25
Gabe
Registered Member

Default BORING?!?

Go check the underside of your valve covers- if they aren't beveled down, you're not riding it right, brother!

My first bike I owned that I could be proud of was a 1977 R100/7 with S heads, carbs (40mm bings, slower but dependable!) and fairing. Before I bought Adolf, I had a succession of '80's junk purchased at discount prices and I felt it was time for something nicer.

That bike taught me a lot about riding and wrenching. It also cost me $5k in parts and service over 5 years. I would take it on the Sunday Ride in West Marin, California, dragging my valve covers and embarrasing squids and non-squids on newer, faster rides. The feeling that bike had flying through the 100 mph sweepers of Highway One south of Tomales will never be matched. It wore race-compound Metzlers and Koni shocks and I thought I was the absolute $hit.

Alas, on a ride up Mount Hamilton on Mines Road I took a corner too hard and hit a bump while dragging the valve cover. The resulting high-side rewarded me with a well-medicated helicoptor ride and a badly twisted motorcycle.

My tib-fib fracture healed, Adolf was parted out, and more recent rides on old beemers somehow have never been the same. Everyone needs to restore their riding spirit every so often. Wheter you do it mechanically or mentally is up to you.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:06 AM   #26
crimsontiger6
Registered Member

i happen to know where one of these is in pristine and unregestered condition. The guy who owns it brought it new, he then went off motorcycles and parked it and thats it.

He is holding onto it for sentimental reasons only, its never been dropped and its original in all aspects. I am trying to talk the guy into selling it to me, but he gets all misty and tells me he wants to keep it, he just doesn't want to ride it.

Fark! what a tool. what a waste. Its in a highly damp tropical environment and its going to rust away to nothing eventualy.
crimsontiger6 is offline   Reply With Quote