Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-12-2003, 05:53 AM   #11
mattg
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R90s Feedback

Excellent read!!! Thank you for not Americanizing the language. At risk of insulting your writing skills (which is certainly not my intent) any attempt, no matter how skillful, to Americanize this piece would very likely have stripped the soul right out of it. This is the kind of story that makes non-riders begin to understand the passion that stirs within us all. They won't understand fully, but to things there must be a beginning.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2003, 05:56 AM   #12
ValkBandit
Registered Member

you did the right thing when you left the story intact. great read.

my dad had an R90S ... a burnt-orange one. i mooched rides whenever i could, flogging the pi$$ out of it on every back road and deserted highway i could find. it was the GSXR of its time, but in a sophisticated, tasteful package. fantastic bike.

thanks for the memories ...
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:59 AM   #13
MaxAlien
Registered Member

Thanks for a very entertaining story Henry, and leaving the British English in there was most definitely the right thing to do! The piece is peppered with absolutely classic phrases.

I have a BMW R1150R, and I'm very tempted to add "an older cousin" to the stable, possibly an R90S. Beautiful bike.

MaxAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 09:42 AM   #14
Thinc2
Founding Member

Sweet article and great timing! I just returned from a lunchtime run on my R100S - 40 miles of Colorado canyons. Get back to my desk - this article is the first thing i saw. It's turning out to be a good day.

Can't agree more with the author's assessments - my R80RT is my gentlemen's touring bike, the R100S is the beast that needs to be ridden.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:49 AM   #15
maladg
Registered Member

Ahhhh, the 70's. Men were men, sheep were scared and herb was plentiful. I think the R90S is the one of the 3 or 4 most lovely bikes of the last 30 years and totally useful. Not a tempermental bone in it's lovely germanic body. I like the current BMW line pretty well, but nothing in that model line raises the ole BP like the S's.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:19 AM   #16
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

I have to agree that the R90s is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen even though I looked at them as the "enemy" at the time (old time Z-1 fan). Credit where credits due. No mention of Reg Pridmore? Butler and Smith?
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:16 PM   #17
xlr8r
Founding Member

Absolutely.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:01 AM   #18
maladg
Registered Member

Lets not forget Udo Geitel (sp?), Steve something or another witht the long hair...gee, my memory is gone. I blame the 70's. I had a new Kaw Z1-B in 75, but wanted an R90S so bad I could taste it. Affording the Beemer bac then was about as likely as me having a date with Shannon ****inson tonight.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 03:31 AM   #19
redlmtt
Founding Member

Great story! Again, the language was as it should have been.

Stories like these keep me in love with motorcycles. That said, I've never really got on with airheads, as much as I've wanted to. I've yet to ride one that didn't make me feel disconnected from the road. Maybe one that's had its suspension sorted would feel better.
redlmtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 06:42 AM   #20
MrDeadeye
Founding Member

I was at Blue Moon cycles in Atlanta looking at their group of R90s last weekend.

I restored a 75 R90/6 in the late 80s. I loved it until some "snapperhead" poured a coke in its gas tank and it was never the same again ( I didn't have the $ to fix it ).

I came back to BMW last year with a R1100R. I can feel a lot of the character of the old R90 with all the advantages of a modern bike. But, if I could have more than one bike, I'd go back to Blue Moon and make an offer.

BTW - If you love BMWs and ever pass through Atlanta, you should check out Blue Moon's private BMW museum.
MrDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote