Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-09-2003, 04:40 AM   #1
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Bates Boots Feedback

Cool boots, Back in the day all the fast guys wore Bates. I'm glad to see they're still a going concern.

I prefer my Sidi on-roads myself for all the same reasons, fit, comfort and quality, plus they've got a little more padding and are waterproof, a big concern in my neck-o-the woods.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2003, 05:16 AM   #2
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Great for Commuting or Dancing

I've been wearing fastlanes for street riding for 3 years now. Overall great boots. Very comfy. The double leather throughout gives me confidence my feet would survive should something unpleasant happen. At the same time, they are comfortable enough that these are my favorite shoes to go out dancing in. The look of my older fastlanes is very subtle, more so than the ones shown here. I wear then often as my commuting boots and people at work need never know I 'm wearing motorcycle boots with slacks and a button down. Very discrete. The only drawback I can come up with relates to the rear zipper design. If you have a high arch, like I do, it can be very difficult to get your feet into the proper size boot. I actually had to go up a size just to get my feet in. Nothing I tried, shoe horn, thin socks, goose grease or swearing could get my feet into my "regular" shoe size in a pair of fastlanes. Outside of that, buy these boots and be happy.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:22 AM   #3
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Different Models Available

The boots shown in this article are the racing style boots. The yellow patch on the ankle is the telltale. Bates also makes a very similar touring model, which is what I described above, that is very good for office duty.

Also worth knowing, the boots are made using traditional techniques, not ski boot technology. This is actually an advantage because the boots can be resoled or otherwise repaired by any cobbler.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:03 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I wear the Sidi City boot which is water-resistant rather than water-proof but living in SoCal rain is not a big problem. I think the City boots are a bit more stylish once you reach your destination.

I also have the Dainese Techno-touring boot for summer. They're totally comfy-like an armoured high-top tennis shoe.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:32 PM   #5
ptarman
Registered Member

I'm glad you guys are happy with your Bates Fastlanes. I can't say that I've been very impressed with mine. For starters, they told me that my calves were too big, so I had to get a "custom fit," and that cost me $275, three years ago.

For seconds, they took forever getting them to me -- after promising delivery in three weeks, it took seven to get them.

For thirds, they didn't fit. They were huge and unless I wore two set of socks *and* put in Rider Wearhouse's boot liner gizmos, my socks ended up around my toes. I was on a 4500 mile tour and spent more time pulling up my socks than riding. Well, not quite, but *way* too much.

I sent them back and they improved the fit a bit, but blamed me for not drawing a good outline of my foot. But then after wearing them for about a year, and spending the money to send them back to Bates three times, the heel counter on the left boot gave way, so that my heel is only about half-way over the bottom of the boot. Oh, and the toes of the soles came undone once.

I'm wearing waterproof Alpinestars that I got from Rider's Wearhouse for under $200 bucks and they're a tremendous improvement.
Colorado AAD
'99 Concours "TumbleToo\"
CDA #0016
IBA # 5811: SS1000, BB1500
ptarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:16 AM   #6
Elric42
Registered Member

It was a string of well written reviews. I prefer my choice of Daytona Urbans or my Gericke Race Boots. But, I would consider the Bates.

I onlyt have one issue though with the story. You have one picture of Ebass riding a 749. He's leaned over a bit and obviously moving. He's go on leathers and a pair of the nifty Bates boots, but no helmet.

Regardless of local laws, I think all motorcycle journalists have an obligation to show their own people always wearing proper riding gear. And, this photo obviously is not.

Hey, I view it as Darwin, personally, If you are not smart enough to wear a helmet. But, for stories, I think you guys should always show riders on moving bikes in proper gear.
Elric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:08 PM   #7
obandoj
Founding Member

The Fastlanes are great if they fit properly, and so are many other top of the line boots, I found out that the only way to get a good fit is to actually try the boots on.

After mail ordering boots, mainly because of some good discount in price, and having problems with the fit, I started buying boots only after trying them on, and walking around in them for a while, just like you do for work shoes, or any kind of shoes, and that made a great difference. The lesson for me was that a few dollars more is worth years of riding comfort and safety. Remember, if your feet hurt, you can not concentrate on riding and having fun!

obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:07 PM   #8
Intersport
Founding Member

I had a pair of these boots (note: they are BOOTS, not "shoes" as in your headline. While I'm ranting, motorcycle jackets are not "coats" as you often referr to them) back in the 1980's, they look the same. Loved them back then, but other boots offer so much more impact protection now.
Intersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
NT650rider
Registered Member

I have been wearing Bates Fastlanes for the past 20 years. Have three pair at the moment: sole wearing through on one pair; zipper broken on another, but the third pair is fine. Most comfortable boots I have worn. Sizes are different than other boot/shoes. I have worn 10.5 D forever; Bates 9.5" fit perfectly.

BTW, just got a pair of Sidi Strada. They are OK, offer lots more protection, but not nearly as comfortable, walking or riding. Also, my feet get much hotter in the Sidi than in the Bates.

NT650rider is offline   Reply With Quote