Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-09-2003, 04:09 AM   #61
rc51zen
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi Titanium gets its mettle tested

If I ever buy a cruiser it will be an Honest Charley V8 Vintage Custom {cycleworld sept. 03}
rc51zen is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2003, 04:31 AM   #62
rc51zen
Founding Member

Last sunday I decided a have a little fun with the Harley crowd. Every sunday about 200 of them show up at this diner and hang around and look at their chrome. I took my shirt off and put on a black leather vest and a small beenie helmet and sunglassess. I bought a huge cigar. I jumped on my wifes Honda Rebel and rode down to the diner, I rode around the parking lot with my middle age gut hanging out. You should of seen their faces! Now I know how ridiculous I looked but I wonder if I made any of them realize how ridiculous they look. Ride to have fun not to create an image!
rc51zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:59 AM   #63
Sam_Freed
Registered Member

Pictures! Pictures!
Sam_Freed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:05 PM   #64
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Guzzi style

The Ambassador? Not for me, I prefer to wash up in bathtubs instead of ride around in them...
Old 08-13-2003, 12:34 PM   #65
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Cool kids ride Triumphs

You forgot Pam Anderson and Luke Perry.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:33 PM   #66
motodude1
Founding Member

Sorry man, cruisers suck, that's how I feel. Fashion over function isn't what motorcycles are about, at least for me.

- Jason (the author)
Old 08-13-2003, 02:35 PM   #67
motodude1
Founding Member

Default Re: Did I miss something?

see above

- Jason
Old 08-16-2003, 03:24 PM   #68
pmmonster
Founding Member

Hey, I enjoyed the review - especially the comparison with my Eldorado (btw, it's a '73 not a '74). I would hope the suspension might be noticeably better. Get a LeMans long termer and I will fly out to help put some miles on it.

PM
pmmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:22 AM   #69
Janna408
Founding Member

I've read several comments like this - that cruisers are fashion over function. I guess if you ride a fast, light, flickable bike, maybe it's hard to understand why someone would want to ride a big, heavy, less maneuverable bike. And maybe the only reason you can think of is "it must be a fashion thing, or wanting to be a bad-ass". But it's not about the fashion for many, if not most, cruiser riders. It may be hard to grasp, but it's actually about the *function*.

I've owned a cruiser (and rode it 400 miles a week, not in one year), and I now own an SV650. I like how maneuverable and quick the SV is, but it's not better than riding a cruiser. Just different. There are qualities to the actual riding of a cruiser that people like - it's not just the leather and chrome. They are more comfortable, especially on long trips. They feel substantial, solid - their much-mocked weight is a selling point for some. Less likely to get moved around on windy days, for example. The feel of the torque - less immediate, yes, but powerful in a different way. The experience of riding a cruiser is fun, damn it - some people live for going fast on curving roads, and flicking the bike left and right in turns, and some people truly don't find that the most enjoyable part. Some people don't actually want a bike that leaps forward on a green light, and can take a corner at double plus twenty what the speed limit says. Cruiser people like to cruise...

A well made cruiser is maneuverable and powerful, and the ride you get on one is as much fun, and as valid, as the ride a sport bike kid gets on his bike.

Sure, the aesthetics are different. Personally, I feel that most sportbikes are plastic monstrosities to my eye, and I can find no appeal in the jarring style of the fairing, nor the clashing color schemes and graphics. A cruiser, with tasteful amounts of chrome, and judicious amounts of leather, is a thing of beauty and a joy forever, to me. But I also think my SV650 is very cool looking and punky.

I may not understand why someone would want to ride a sportbike, and do wheelies at 80 miles on hour on a busy freeway (seen it with my own eyes, that), or ride along a beautiful stretch of winding road at such high speeds that it's impossible for them to actually see the stunning views at all.

I do understand that the person riding like that is having a great time, and prefers that riding style to going slower, and taking a look around, and that it's not all about the fashion of sportbike style - the one-piece leather suits with pucks, the strange looking (to me) boots, etc. He rides that bike mainly because he like how that bike rides.

And of course, there are sportbike riders out there all over who have stories of being smoked on a windy stretch of road by an old timer on his cruiser. People may wish it were true that the type of bike you rode was an accurate depiction of your riding ability, but a squid can be an embarrassingly unskilled rider, and a beanie-wearing cruiser can have skills to put any rider to shame. I don't think that any street bike is more "advanced" than another. Race bikes are another thing, but they really are best kept to the racetrack.
Janna408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:52 PM   #70
warpdrive
Registered Member

Didn't even mention how well Guzzi's handle. I own a 2000 Jackal and I am impressed with how well these bikes handle.
warpdrive is offline   Reply With Quote