Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Moto Guzzi Titanium gets its mettle tested (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2026-moto-guzzi-titanium-gets-its-mettle-tested.html)

12er 08-06-2003 06:35 PM

Re: Moto Guzzi Titanium gets its mettle tested

Not to mention the suspenders and brakes.

kawazuki 08-06-2003 09:28 PM

I'm in this boat as well. (Yamaha Warrior, which is at least cruiserish, 6'5" tall, 240 lbs.) While I certainly appreciate the level of handling and speed that sportbikes provide, I've never ridden one that didn't give me a hip cramp after half a block. In comparison, I've ridden a number of standards on fairly long trips, but the longest journeys I've been on were on the Warrior. (Oakland and back, from Albuquerque, in about 18 hours each direction. 1100 miles, each way, give or take. Denver, El Paso, Las Vegas, all about 500 - 600 miles each way.) Cruisers are vastly more comfortable for me than anything else.

If there were bikes that were the right size for me, and gave the performance of an R1 in terms of handling, I'd joyously buy one. Those bikes, much like leprechauns and Santa Claus, simply don't exist. As with anything, different things get different people going. Hell, the cagers in SUV's don't care if you're on a Japanese bike or an American one, a sportbike or a cruiser, they just know they get extra points for running you over while yapping on the phone, shaving, drinking coffee, reading the paper, and yelling at the kids. Surely we, as bikers, (or motorcyclists, if you will) have better things to concern ourselves with than berating each other for the choice of personal machinery.

-Kawazuki

Winger4Life 08-07-2003 06:07 AM

yeah, count me in too!

Winger4Life 08-07-2003 06:11 AM

Re: Yes, I do and have.

You should try a Gold Wing...

ValknMag 08-07-2003 07:25 AM

Speaking of Brain Dead Cage Drivers, an Expedition tried to mash me into the side of a gasoline tanker after work Tuesday. All I could do is flip them off and accelerate through--hand pressed against the passenger window, by the way. So last night I got a pair of those Icon Ti Max gauntlets. I'm going to try to harvest some mirrors with them. I'll let you know how that goes.

ValknMag 08-07-2003 07:30 AM

Re: Yes, I do and have.

I'd love one, a GL1800 that is, but they're twice as much as a year old XX. I was hoping for a Sport Tourer with a lot of emphasis on 'Sport.' I've heard and read the GL1800 is more nimble than expected...but the sound the XX makes when accelerating through 6000 RPM and up is...oooh...*shiver*

ValknMag 08-07-2003 07:38 AM

And Italian leather arm chaps.

bmwclay 08-07-2003 11:03 PM

Re: Moto Guzzi dealer problems

Guzzis are reliable because the Guzzi engine was originaly designed to run day in and day out hooked up to a pump to drain water out of a irrigation ditch.

alfaguzzi 08-08-2003 09:06 AM

If you like the bike but not the position try an other one from the Moto Guzzi´s California line of bikes. The Special Sport has wider and more backward handlebars, which maybe fits you better. Same bike but a more relaxing ride.

The Moto Guzzi California line is a very good bike choice if you in the same ride want to cruise a few miles and then hit the throttle and go harder a while and the cruise again.

I love my California Special Sport.

steven_1 08-08-2003 04:38 PM

I have owned Guzzi a since 1981 I have also had Yamahas BMW's and now a (8 triumph Sprint but I always go back to Guzzi. They are a lot of fun once you come to terms with them.

A freind just sold me his 79SP amd 87 LeMans SE, I\'m a happy guy.