Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-06-2003, 06:27 AM   #21
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Moto Guzzi Titanium gets its mettle tested

It's more fun to ride the same bike in all those situations, cruise on your sportbike, ride around the local BMX track when the kiddies aren't there, tryn' scrap the pegs on your cruiser down a twisty road.

who says you need a specialized bike for each type of riding
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2003, 06:42 AM   #22
SmokeU
Registered Member

Sorry, I forgot about the sportbike crowd, this was a discussion about cruisers. I suppose there are exceptions to everything, poseur Goldwingers too I'm sure.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:48 AM   #23
ZRX_bullock
Founding Member

Track days will open your eyes to what you and your bike are capable of. It is also the best place to observe how other bikes perform. I have never even given Moto Guzzi a second look until one passed me on turn 5 at BIR, at a recent track day. As he passed me all I could say was "damn that Olin Suspension"
Old 08-06-2003, 07:03 AM   #24
F451
Founding Member

FINALLY, MO gets their arse in the saddle for a bike review. I like Guzzi's. They're are distinct motorcycles with true heritage.

Now can MO please get Yossef Schvetz arse on a MV Agusta Brutale S for a review? I'll even say please. Please?
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:23 AM   #25
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Yes, I do and have.

Any motorcycle I've ridden is going to hurt after an hour or so. I am more of a couch potatoe than I care to admit, but I have never found the sportbike riding position that uncomfortable, and prefer the additional control I have over the bike. I also find that the leg/arm foward position of the cruisers I've ridden (even the highway peg equiped) to be very tireing at higway speeds, and definately put alot of strain on my lower back.

As for your XX, I would sugest that you look around to see if there is an after market peg lowering kit. I've heard alot of comments that it is a good sport touring bike after modification. There is probably some good info from the owners group out there.

Your wrist hurting might be an early sign of carpal tunnel (I have that also). You might also find that if you rest your body weight on you hand in a pushup position they might start hurting.

If you can relocate the foot pegs on your XX and maybe check out a higher lift on the handle bars, you might find that you enjoy the riding position better. But I might be more of a masochist than you.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 AM   #26
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Actually I've riden alot of street bikes off road. Sometimes delibratly, sometimes not

Its amazing to find out the limits of traction on soft loam on a gsxr.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 07:45 AM   #27
maladg
Registered Member

Someone mentioned Dealers dropping Guzzi due to the N. American ops...I've heard this loud and long. I know the late and much missed ZEN MOTO dropped Guzzi for that (and lack of parts availability) and I think Blue Moon also dropped em (though BMW NA may have also had a role there). I do know that GUZZI NA continues to revamp itself. The SE Field rep has recently been replaced (shhh..don't tell...the new guy owns a FJR13) and there is at least one new dealer in this area who tells me that problems with parts availibility and warranty fixes are improved. One can hope..underneath that goofy shifter and wierd Harold touches lurks a mighty fine bike.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 08:05 AM   #28
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default my opinion ...

i like cruisers.

i like sporbikes.

but cruisers with bullet fairings just look stooopid. sorta like those yo-yos on a GSXRs with beanie helmets. every time i see one o' those guys i laugh out loud.

i guess i'm old school.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:09 AM   #29
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Re: Yes, I do and have.

Let us recall that I'm 6'1" and down to 285, on a sportbike. Weight shifts during braking are going to be noticed, but just raising the clipons on the fork tubes has helped a lot. I'll look into the footpegs. Another question for you : When you type 'leg forward position', do you mean knees at 90 degrees, or actually forward? My Magna (gone but not forgotten) and Valkyrie both have my knees at about 90 degrees. I put highway pegs on both of them so I could put the legs forward--not quite knees locked, but it's a weight shift and a movement for the legs to keep the blood flowing. A number of people in these forums mention the forward leg position, and I've always wondered whether they--and you, in this instance--are thinking of forward controls, or pegs that have the knees at 90 degrees.

One other note on comfort : XX has some of my weight on the grips. Valk has no weight on them, but I need a good grip for heavy acceleration. Why does the XX have small diameter grips to concentrate the weight, and the Valk has big hogs legs nobody can get their fingers around? Point to ponder.

ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:53 AM   #30
FurySting
Founding Member

Facts are specifications and specific points about a product, not the several negative comments about how big a looser Cruiser riders are. Glad you could relate to the Homosexual comparison.. Eheh..

Anyway,

I have ridden since I was 8 years old. Started on an XR80 and still ride Dirt when I get the chance. Dirt is by far still my favorite riding experience.

I also do like a sport bike now and again, but as you said, it's on a track. I still think they're crazy on the street, and the thought that they are the end-all be all that this particular writer seems to think is wrong. It's all about motivation, and I can tell you this much, the crotch rocket stays in the garage, unless it's in the back of the truck to go do some track running, or to a specific set of mountain roads.

Ride what you want, just ride.
FurySting is offline   Reply With Quote