Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-04-2003, 07:54 AM   #101
motonut_1
Founding Member

Default Re: Sturgis Tales Feedback

Wife and I just returned from vacation in Wyoming and Colorado. Rode many canyons to include Poudre and it was indeed, a hoot. We were traveling west to east with little traffic. East to west was a different story as everyone was headed up to enjoy the canyon for the weekend. The road was full of "black snakes" and they were slippery due to the heat (90 plus) which was a little disconcerting at first but soon overcome and we enjoyed the route immensely.

Grover 750, don't dispair about moving to MN. There are many excellent roads but most of them are in the SE corner of the state. This leads to more excellent roads in SW Wisconsin and NE Iowa. You will have to miss the canyon effect as there are no mountains. Riding in MN can be better than you would expect though.
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2003, 03:25 PM   #102
BobW
Founding Member

Too bad most states won't let us open carry a sidearm while riding. A holstered large caliber mag might help folks behave. "An armed society is a polite society" and all that. On a lighter note, when I pass them on my enduro/thumper, they don't seem to know how to react. Either too surprised or chuckling too hard, who knows, eh?
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:21 PM   #103
grover750
Founding Member

motonut_1,

You're right, there are definetly great roads in SE MN. I know them like the back of my hand, I grew up in Spring Grove (thus the "grover", 750 for my CB750), which is 5 miles from IA and 20 from WI.

Unfortunately, I'm in the twin cities now, so the best close roads are along the St. Croix or Minnesota river. I've ridden down highway 61 and the counterpart across the river many times, fun roads, but not as curvy. I need to get back home with my bike more often, but going home normally means the family is with, which means the bike is out.

Any specific roads you really like down there? I may have missed a couple. I really like the roads south of SG, towards dorchester, lansing, over the river to de soto & up to La Crosse. Fun, but not as fun as the hairpins and scenery of Colorado. Plus, the mule deer in colorado don't seem to be nearly as mobile as the whitetailed monsters down in SE MN.

grover750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:20 PM   #104
travisyoung
Founding Member

I just got back from the Black Hills. I was there (without my bike) the week before the rally, but many of the faithful were there early to work on their sunburns. I think maybe they came from Milwaukee after the 100yr anniversary.

I was shocked by the number of riders who clearly did not have control of their bikes. While driving my car in the hills, I barely missed an oncoming group of riders who cut over the double yellow into my lane on a curve. Had I not been paying attention I'm sure they would be dead now. I saw others putting their feet down in slow corners and others having trouble stopping at stop signs. We're talking basic MSF stuff here.

Because of the lack of skill it doesn't look like many of these folks actually ride other than at the Rally...who knows, they may not even know that everybody else on two wheels waves.

Also, the quoted population for the rally was over 400,000. Any population that size is sure to include quite few a-holes.
travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:36 AM   #105
lukam
Founding Member

So in 15 years you have met or passed most of the millions of Harley riders in the nation. And in your arrogance you decide it is up to you to label them all and draw conconclusions about how inaddequate you feel about yourself and how you need to be recognized by riders on Harleys in order to justify your existance and type of motorcycle.

My OPINION is that I would be stupid to label thousands of people who ride a certain brand of anything. People are people and a$$holes ride all makes and models, some wave some don't. I wave at all to tell them that I am enjoying myself and I hope they are too, don't really give a crap if they wave back or not.
lukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:46 AM   #106
lukam
Founding Member

That was great, best post I have seen so far
lukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 07:16 AM   #107
motonut_1
Founding Member

Dear Grover,

The wife and I spend considerable time in SE Mn and SW WI as we have a trailer parked at the Old Barn Resort between Preston and Lanesboro. There are a ton of County Roads that have been paved over the years and make for excellent riding. You are right, the scenery will not compare with Colorado, on the opposite side, there's less to distract you from the road, which considering the gravel and other road hazards in the corners, is a good thing. These items definitely add to the excitement factor. And you are right about the difference in deer habits. When the wife and I were on vacation in Wyoming, I actually watched a muley look both ways, wait for the traffic to clear and then cross the highway. Don't expect that from a whitetail. I think my favorite road is in Wisconsin and is Cty P running east from Coon Valley southeast of LaCrosse. It's 30 miles of fresh pavement. Watch out for the Amish and their horses droppings. There are plenty of other fun roads down there too.
motonut_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 07:20 AM   #108
Ducati_1
Founding Member

Having lived in the Sturgis area for all my life (unfortunately) and been to about 30 plus rallies, most of the stuff I read about the bikers and attitudes and this and that is pretty much bull*****. Lot of hype and big stories fueled by small egos and big beers. Bikers are pretty much a general slice of humanity. Us sportbikers love blowing them off the road, and they love flipping us off. It is all pretty fun, thank god for diversity.
Ducati_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #109
Blade-Rider
Registered Member

What the heck are quirts?
Blade-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:43 AM   #110
Istamulada
Founding Member

isn't it supposed to be riders against government or something like that instead of riders against riders ???

Shouldn't we say unites we stand instead of apart we are ???

think about it
Istamulada is offline   Reply With Quote