Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Sturgis Tales Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2011-sturgis-tales-feedback.html)

ewok1 08-01-2003 11:39 AM

Re: Sturgis Tales Feedback

good one. funny you would use a 77 ltd as an example. i didn't know they still made those boats in 77. i wanted a 74. i reasoned people would know for sure that i didn't care what they thought.

grover750 08-01-2003 11:39 AM

Sure, I've ridden that road many times. It was usually packed with tour buses going to Central City, but it was a fun way to connect to I-70 West. I really miss the colorado roads. I moved to MN.

KPaul - When were you at CU?

KPaulCook 08-01-2003 10:42 PM

Yep I was at CU. best days of my life. Whish I would be a biker than.

tomekd 08-03-2003 06:37 AM

Re: Sturgis Tales Feedback-French lobbing

That explains why bikes in France are limited to 100 hp,can`t buy race pipe,dark helmet shields are illegal,,,God save us(US) from this kind of lobbing

tomekd 08-03-2003 06:43 AM

That explains why bikes in France are limited to 100 hp,can`t buy race pipe,dark helmet shields are illegal,,,God save us(US) from this kind of lobbing

saaz 08-04-2003 01:22 AM

I have been in French traffic a few times (unfortunately only a an observer in a Taxi). If bikes are that restricted and can still traffic split at over 160kph (the taxi was doing 120kph plus) without the cops taking the slightest notice...who needs all that hotting up stuff!!

Now I can see why those french racers are so crazy...they are failed road riders!!

ducfast 08-04-2003 01:38 AM

Once again I'm amazed at the attitude of some back there.

Living in a country (Japan) where courtesy still counts will do that to you I suppose.

I just can't understand why the simple act of passing could make someone want to act so stupidly.

While two up with my wife on the FZ1, all I ask when you pass us is to make it a clean pass. For your own sake, don't cross the double yellow on a blind corner cause I don't want to see the blood and guts that may follow.

On the other hand, if the pass is clean, I enjoy judging the talent as it sails off into the curving road ahead. That's cool.

If passed on a straight, why would I care?

I guess I'm spoiled. In 13 years of riding here I have no bad stories to tell of other motorcyclists.

jamesohoh7 08-04-2003 04:14 AM

Ha, yeah... very good... sarcasam is good here. While appreciated, I think it does a disservice to the root of the story being that "yes indeed, Harley riders in groups are -sometimes- prone to the described behavior". But, of course meeting sarcasm and criticism with the same is fine too... surely the story had some to spread around. :) LR, I know/think you have both cruisers and sport-bikes, so surely you've seen the issues he's talking about, right?

(I missed the boat on this thread probably, but here's my reply anyway b/c I just read this story...)

The vast majority of Harley riders are nice, and I've met many.

But that doesn't mean they are all nice, and apparently this guy came across some of the latter. I believe his story.

No, I wasn't there to see what happened, but because I have had similar experiences when approaching a group of Harley guys on my Honda cruiser (oohh... yep, I'm one of -those- guys... I ride a rice-cruiser!.. eek!..), I tend to sympathise with his account. Seriously, I've been swerved into on a four-lane highway by Harley guys even when just creeping past them as far to the left in the left-most lane and completely out of their lane... while on my Honda cruiser! Oddly enough, if I'm on one of my two-strokers, they dig those bikes and typically present no fuss... maybe b/c they are loud and unruly? It seems that no matter how I try to pass on my Honda cruiser (fast or slow or whatever), they have a huge problem with it.

You want to see the biggest example of ridiculous 'brand-ism', pull up to a local Harely hangout on a metric cruiser! :) .. and everyone thinks the issues between Harley and sport-bike guys is rough!.. ain't seen nuthin'! ;) Hate to say it, but to me, that reflects badly on the Harley scene and tends to back up the 'Harley-snobbery' issue. It's one thing for them to not like/understand/whatever the concept of sport-bikes, but when I see the blatant hate towards a cruiser of a different brand?... wow... that points to some issues.

Of course, living in a free country gives them the right to hate whatever they want.... but let us not get bogged down in that.

Anyway...

My theory is that -some-, a -few-, insert whatever qualifiers you need to get you by, groups of Harley guys get it in their head that -none shall pass-. THAT is what is bogus, and I think to turn one's mind off to the fact that it does indeed happen is really not helping the situation.

I think that by talking about the issue, raising consciousness, we all might figure out that that behavior is bad and should be done away with. Yep, kind of 'touchy-feely', but what's the alternative?... say "screw it, none-shall-pass" and just constantly tick each other off?

I don't tend to ride in any sort of groups, sport-bike or cruiser.

I just don't know enough folks that have bikes for one, and for two, I prefer to ride alone most of the time. The few sport-bike guys I do know are far faster than me anyway and I could never keep up, I'll admit that right now.

So, I can't say from experience whether riding in a group adds to the mentality, but that is my theory. Take the group apart and all of the guys that displayed the bad behavior would probably not do so alone (and not b/c they would fear getting beat-on, but b/c the mob-mentality would be missing). No, I'm not advocating a ban on group riding, just throwing out my theory about it.

I will say one last thing though... when sport-bikers pass too close, that is just as bogus. Pass clean, pass at a reasonable speed, and then everyone should be happy.

-James

BBD_Racing 08-04-2003 04:38 AM

Important Edit:

"bikini-clad, 250 lb road "ladies," some of which sporting beards"

KPaulCook 08-04-2003 07:45 AM

Re: I think your login says it all

How is that relevant?