Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-29-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Fog City Hyper Optiks Light Reactive Anti-Fog Vs. Super-visor Feedback

Man...is that thing U G L Y !!!! Maybe on a black helmet it would be stealthy, but on a multi-colour beauty, it's horrible. Sure it works..but I don't think I could wear one knowing I was going to look dorkier than those weenies on scooters..Yikes!!
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2003, 03:20 AM   #2
JLWarrior
Registered Member

Default Re: Fog City Hyper Optiks Light Reactive Anti-Fog Vs. Super-visor Feedback

I use the Hyper Optik Fog Shield, I love it. Like the reviewer said, a little darker might be nice, but all in all it has no downsides.
JLWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:41 AM   #3
ducatirdr
Founding Member

This past spring I raced in Daytona in the misting rain without a Fog City shield. I used duct tape to make a breath shield but its effectiveness was limited to only working at higher speeds. The infiled hade me reaching to lift the shield at every corner.

After a morning practice almost blind in the rain at NHIS this past spring I finally went down to "Street and Comp" retailer at the track and made a purchase of a Fog City shield. Damn it worked as advertised! The price under $20 is worth every penny.
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:34 AM   #4
stephanpark
Founding Member

When I saw the article title, I was very interested as I fog-up pretty bad and get dazzled easily by glare. Having to fumble with shades and treat my Fog City shod visors like priceless artifacts all gets old pretty quick, anticipation grew.

I clicked on hoping the silly black thing was just an ugly helmet and the visor was some exotic plastic with a baked on Teflon coating...nope. That's it, that silly look'n duck bill thing is what one of my favorite motorcycle web zine considers a viable product for review.

Not only would you get laughed out of any crotch rocket hangout or track with that on, I can see serious drag problems at speed (above cien honey).

And the Helo, what's with that? I almost didn't recognize that was a Quantum Okada Red under there. I don't care if Mr. "staff" writer runs like Rossi, and battles like Gibeneau, spits fire like Biaggi...with all that junk on your can, you'd still look like a buffoon at the end of the day regardless of your times. Staff writer? Yeah, I'd hide my identity if I had to try to sell this off as a legitimate product too. Folly on the editor that let this slide, folly on the management that pushed this through or let it slip past, give me some real "word of mouth and cheep as hell but damn does it work" products, not this "as see on TV" cr@p.
stephanpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:55 AM   #5
stephanpark
Founding Member

Oh, sorry Ralph...must have been too agast to notice, you're a brave man wearing that thing out there. Well, from the pics, it looks not too populated, good for you. But god, I would wear anything if I got payed to ride. I still think that thing is bonehead dumb and dead ugly. Okada would be insulted. I am sure.
stephanpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:39 AM   #6
piinob
Founding Member

Obviously not for the posers, but looks like somebody is thinking about ways to make the ride better.
piinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:05 AM   #7
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Not everyone is form over function oriented. Beemer riders come immediately to mind.

When you get to the age that you start wearing white socks under your sandals, these things that work at the expense of fashion will appeal to you more.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:41 AM   #8
Andonyx
Registered Member

Not being familiar with the concept of shield inserts at all.....

How permanent is the mounting? I mean I can pop this thing in and out at will right, just like my regular shield? At least from the review it seems this is the case for the fog city. But this "template" he speaks of, is that fairly permanent on my helmet?

And it prevents fog in both rain and cold weather yes?

Enlighten me, oh shielded one.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:46 AM   #9
Andonyx
Registered Member

Errr, nevermind, I was wayyy off on what I thought this was. A quick trip to the website cleared it up.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:31 AM   #10
Woody650
Founding Member

I tried the Hyper Optiks insert and was disappointed that it didn't get dark enough. It goes from light green to a little bit darker blue, but not nearly as dark as a typical tinted shield.

But I was so impressed with the anti-fog properties that I use FogCity inserts on all my shields. Just keep 'em clean and they work perfectly, with just a little bit of "halo-ing" at night.
Woody650 is offline   Reply With Quote