Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-30-2003, 02:18 PM   #11
dominatr37
Founding Member

Default Re: Fog City Hyper Optiks Light Reactive Anti-Fog Vs. Super-visor Feedback

You're an idiot.
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #12
dominatr37
Founding Member

Default Re: Fog City Hyper Optiks Light Reactive Anti-Fog Vs. Super-visor Feedback

Okay now that my anger has abated. The Helmet Halo I wear all the time. They work, period. I could care less what anyone thinks of it., AFAIC, it takes nothing away from the helmet,and adds a very bright stripe of safety. Fog City shields I have been using for about 8 years in one form or another. They are a great product. Everyone of my helmets gets a fog city shield and a helmet halo as soon as I buy it. The Super- Visor will be used by me on long distance trips. Yes, it is not pretty, and as I said will do nothing for your sex appeal, but it will protect your face from the suns rays when doing a 600 mile + day, as I do many times a year. There may be no squid factor involved on any of these products, but I find that to be a very good thing, not a detriment.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:44 PM   #13
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent article

When you ride in Seattle, you have to deal with foggy shields. This is something I am going to try. Also the light reflective thing would be handy also.

I am some what amused at some of the negative comments about how they look. I thought Posers only rode cruisers. These things are all bout functionality, if it works I don't care how dorky it looks. Vision is an important thing when riding a sport bike. If you want to look cool and be a Poser get a Harley and ride in a parade.

Good Work MO
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 11:42 PM   #14
stephanpark
Founding Member

Anger? You really wear that duck bill on that beautiful paint job? The Helo I could understand, the HURT study clearly defines that visibility failure happens when viewed head on. It seems even with a head lamp lit, cage drones see only other cages. Reflective tape at standing-head height is definitely a way to increase visibility, but ultimately riding for the majority of the Motorcycling populous is not merely transportation. It is an exercise in exhibitionism (hello? there is a freaking dragon on your helmet!), of ones style and attitude, as well as a love of the ride. The only people I see with Helos on their can's are 40-somethings that want to "be as safe as possible", the Helo and this Super-cr@p is crossing over that line to the point of riding as mere practical transport or in the least cramping ones style severely.

Seriously, riding defensively is the safest bet if you going out there without a crumple zone...the Helo? I make my own from Police Auto and marine reflective taping. Can't notice the difference in the day, and 90% as reflective as the Helo at night, lasts longer in severe weather too. The duck bill? I use Oakley straight back shades or Night and Day visors. You get pretty good at swapping visors with one hand (Pull off the road first!), and you don't look like a 40 something trying to be practical on a MOTORCYCLE ( oxymoron )!
stephanpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:39 AM   #15
dominatr37
Founding Member

first off Steven, It's called a "Halo" not a "helo". Secondly, I turned 44 on sunday, and thirdly, I believe in safe . fun riding, emphasis on both. While I believe in being flashy to a point, I also believe in practicallity that works. Someday when you get some more experience under your wheels you'll understand that too. Nothing wrong with looking good. Even better is looking good while serving a purpose.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:27 AM   #16
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent article

Vision is the MOST important thing when riding ANY bike. Training and riding skill mean jack sh1t if you can't see where you're going.

Keep 'em coming MO
Old 07-31-2003, 04:26 PM   #17
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Excellent article

Point taken
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:53 PM   #18
jbbishop2
Registered Member

I've used a Fog City Pro Shield for a couple of years, on a Shoei RF-900 with a clear shield, and once used to the slight distortion (more reflection from my face than distortion), it's been great. It's probably time to put in a new one, as the anti-fog properties seem to diminish over a long time (cleaning it carefully helps, but scratching it is hardly aviodable).

I've also used a Super-visor for the same couple of years. Okay, it's not pretty. Okay, cool guys call it geeky. Neither of these wildly important things keep it from doing exactly what it needs to do, which is shade your face.

If you ride in and out of shady sections of the road, especially if the sun is particularly bright, you can't see into the dark areas. It's kind of exciting, to have such faith in the condition of the road and one's fellow road users that you can just charge into those dark holes without knowing what's on or in the road. Tinted shields or sunglasses darken it so you're not taking the full brightness in the eyes riding into the sun, but they darken those shady areas, too (so I'm not sold on the self-darkening shield). Shading your eyes allows you to see into those areas better. If you don't believe me, try it yourself: as you approach a shaded section of road, shade your eyes with your hand - it'll make a huge difference in how well you can see in there. Same thing for a visor in a car.

When I first used the Super-visor, it didn't come with the little standoff kit or the ampule of surface prep. The visor was not only too low (I had to tip my head back to see from underneath it, and I couldn't get a finger up under it to wipe rain off of the shield), the stickum didn't hold it on when the visor got bumped in handling the helmet. After re-sticking a few times, the stickum really didn't stick. The amazing thing about the design of it was that even up to 80 or so, the force of the oncoming air only held it in place better. The worst thing that happened was that the goop would give up and the visor would tilt down slightly on to the shield, but it never flew off. After installing the hi-rise kit with the etchant, the thing has never come unstuck. The fellow I talked to at Super-Visor said they have helmets hanging by the visors in their office to show the strength of the attachment.

I'm going to keep using both of these things. In little part of California where I live, it rains an average of 85 inches a year, I ride year-round, and the commute is eastbound into the sun in the morning, westbound into the sun in the evening. Both products make it easier, more comfortable, and safer.

If you think the Super-visor is too ugly, check out the new Arai XD hybrid helmet with the integral visor. much cooler, but still functional.

jbbishop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 11:53 PM   #19
stephanpark
Founding Member

I'm sorry, what purpose? Being safe? On a motorcycle...at night...at 44? (just kidd'n, congrats and many more to yah) But let's get back to the products.

The duckbill works. Works like any shade over your eyes! But with the way it looks, why not just bond a shovel spade on your helmet (ok, visor top) it'd probably look better. This isn't a philosophical debate on practicality vs superficiality, though. This is a product with a shortcomings. Shortcomings that makes for debates of this issue (evidence, all your feedback). In light of this and in terms of product execution and design, this product is a failure. I say we demand more from our products, looks to match its function. The Halo (thanks sp) is cutting it close...and the Fog City, no real conflict there (well, some function issues).

The way this justification mill keeps rolling, we will soon be wearing suits with airbags, flashing strobe lights, and duckbill visors. Hell, if you make it look good...gosh, I don't think there'll be much philosophical debate or justification over it. Well maybe with the spouse over taking it home.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:56 PM   #20
stephanpark
Founding Member

Is that helm available in the US? I don't see it on their site.