Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-22-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Sportster invasion!

Never seen a BSA A65L in person? Man do I feel old, having owned and ridden that model and earlier BSAs. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2003, 06:06 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I remember them! I also remember that there was never a worse motorcycle ever built than that BSA with the ridiculous energy-transfer ignition. Owning BSAs was an exercise in masochim. I putted around on a '54 BSA B33 500. What a pos! People today only think that Harleys vibrate. I dare anyone to put a couple of hundred miles on a BSA single.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:08 PM   #3
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

The first brand new motorcylce I owned was a 1967 BSA 441 Victor. Talk about a true pos. This model started as the 250 Star Trails, and was later bored out to 350 for the Enduro, and the 441 for the Victor. The poor little tranmission was never designed for the power of the 441 engine, and required almost weekly replacement of main or lay shaft which was no surprise as I was in the habit of power shifting from first to second to pull block long wheelies infront of the high school. BTW BSA truly was an acronym for the Bastard Stopped Again. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:08 PM   #4
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

I'm Feelin' old too. I was 16 when my brothers friend Nick bought one of them there BSA Lightnings .. coincidentally, he sold it and bought a '70 XLCH Sportster.. which he still has.

I still have a '71 Bonneville 650. and...

Speaking of masochism... Last year I bought the 'tribute' bike that Harley put out.

the 883R.

Maybe I'll ship it out to CA on my next visit to see sis and the kids and then stop by San Jose for the meeting.

anyone know a cheap way to get it out and back without spending an arm and a leg? and don't say ride it. I'm in N.J.
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:11 PM   #5
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

yep, an "older" guy in the neighborhood had one in '69. bought it brand new... were they all yellow and chrome?

it was his present to himself for getting back from Vietnam alive!

Old 07-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

My uncle bought one of those BSA 250s. It was the newer 250 that came out around 67 or so. It actually wasn't that bad of a little runner. It wheelied pretty easily. He traded it on a 650 Bonnie in '71.

The most unreliable Britbike I ever rode was a Norton Commando. It was loaned to me by a friend. It was fast and handled really well. To bad it was a positive ground typical Lucas (Prince of Darkness(tm)) disaster that I became afraid to ride anywhere.

Good riddance to 60's britbikes as far as I'm concerned. They made Harley's look like BMWs for reliability. My nostalgia doesn't extend to longing for the "good old days" of thumbing home.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:06 PM   #7
SezaGeoff
Registered Member

Default Re: Beezas

Bits Stuck Anywhere -

My friend had a Lightning that replaced his previous A10 Gold Flash. In those days, reliability was a bike that broke down in your driveway! My favorite BSA breakdown was when the A10 split the tank down the center, and dumped half a gallon of gas on the rider's family jewels.... didn't know he could move that fast....
SezaGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:04 AM   #8
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default BSA 441 Victor

My neighbor had one and all he did was kick it over and I don't think it ran very much. Mostly just kick, kick, and more kicking. It was a neat looking bike but apparently not for someone that wasn't an ace BSA mechanic.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:58 AM   #9
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Good lord, don't add to the Harley bashing! Ride it out to CA. You won't reget it. My first round the country ride was on a Suzuki 650gz, with a backpack tied on to the rear. We camped out, meet the greatest people, and saw this amazing country of ours. 20 years later and I have not been able to top that vacation. So, think about it. Cruise throught the great lakes area, hit the badlands, ride though the Rockies, Pick out the off the beat'n path spots to stop in, ride 100 miles a day or 1000 depending on you mood. I cannnot recomend a trip around the country enough. It reawakens you to the wonders of America. Any bike will work, the last trip my buddy was riding a Yamaha 750 sportbike with soft saddlebags straped to it. Your body gets use to whatever you ride (OK maybe I'm a bit of a masochist
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:14 AM   #10
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

yes I think you are..

besides, I don't have that kind of time to use. 7 days is it for a vacation block. Ok.

I might take the ElectraGlide a few hundred miles.. never the sportster, with those wide bars and my barely 150 lbs frame, I'm a sail.