Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Buell XB12 Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1978)

mbsween 07-14-2003 07:36 PM

Re: Buell XB12 Feedback

Any info on power output? Rumor has it in the 90s at the rear wheel......

Ducgroupie 07-14-2003 07:44 PM

Sorry to see you leaving? JB. It's been fun reading your articles here and other places.

Glad to see Buell is still toying with their Firebolt bikes maybe they'll have a several models next year rather then just 3 they had this year counting the Blast.

Now if we can just get a liquid cooled bike with a full faring and 100 horses at the wheel that's under 1000 cc's (insurance purposes for me).

Ducgroupie out

nweaver 07-14-2003 08:22 PM

Buell is doomed...

The problem is, all the new ones do is RESTORE the engine stroke, as the XB9R/S engine is the short-stroke blast-version of the sportster-engine design.

But who CARES!?! The engine is one of those abominations which should have been shot 10 years ago: You don't make a real sportbike, or even a good pseudo-sportbike, out of that cruddy, unbalanced, overweight sportster POS!!!

Even HD doesn't use the engine except in the bargan-basement sportsters. The only reason for the funky (and expensive) gas in frame, oil in swingarm, and other funkyness is simply because the bloated sportster engine needs a MASSIVE frame, a gigantic airbox, and a separate oil tank.

Only the Buell "faithful" would ever get one, the same market which have gotten such dismal results in the past: 1.6% of HD's gross revenue ($66 million), a whopping ~10,000 bikes a year (including the wretched Be-last, grossing ~$6.6k/bike,[1]) and the same basic numbers for the past several years.

It always suprises me that HD keeps buell alive. There must be some nasty clauses in the origional buyout agreement which keeps them from closing the line and producing more big bikes, after all, the cost of making a Buell is about the same as making an UltraWideBody747ClassicElectraglide, which can make $5k-10k more for HD, with the same employees and a retooled assembly line.

[1] Compare this with the HD line, which sells $3.1B gross, on 260k bikes, so about ~$12k/bike. So the HD line gets nearly double the revenue/bike! ANd HD has the sportsters bumping down the value/bike, at ~50k/year sales.

johnnyb 07-14-2003 08:39 PM

Re: Buell is doomed...

See? this kind of stuff is anothe good reason why I'm outta here. Hell, as whatshisname said in Apocalypse Now, is the impossibility of reason.

piinob 07-14-2003 08:45 PM

This looks like a fun bike. The price seems reasonable, and it will no doubt appeal to a lot of people. But then that is just my opinion, and I also prefer the Moto-Guzzi philosophy of Simple, Tried, and True. Lucky for us all that the market is full of all kinds of motorcycles so that each can find what they want.

Hate to see you go Johnny, hope things work well for you. Come back around as often as you can. I agree wholly with you about the net, MO, and the reality of real world motorcycling.

Gabe 07-14-2003 08:52 PM

MR. ALLCAPS HAS FEELINGS

IF I HAD FUNCTIONING TEAR DUCTS OR EVEN SOME KIND OF BODY I WOULD FEEL SAD AND CRY BECAUSE YOU ARE LEAVING MR. BURNS. I LIKE YOUR WRITING BECAUSE IT'S THE KIND OF ASS-KICKING SHIZNIT THAT A DISEMBODIED BRAIN FLOATING IN A TANK OF NUTRITIVE FLUID NEEDS TO SURVIVE.

I HOPE YOU SELL THE RUBES LOTS OF TOOTHPASTE OR SALAD DRESSING OR WHATEVER SO YOU CAN MAKE A LOT OF MONEY AND BUY TWO GSXR1000'S, ONE FOR WHEELIES AND ONE WITH A POLISHED FRAME AND SWINGARM FOR PIMPIN' FOR THE *****EZ.

WE'LL ALL MISS YOU!

cam1211 07-14-2003 09:46 PM

Finally a buell that has some balls! 103 bhp and 84 ft. lbs. of torque! I think we've all been waiting for this. The paint scheme is gorgeous something similar to the Aprilia Tuono R.

The only downside to this work of art is the price. Coming in at a feather under 11 k this is harsh. Aren't the American made products supposed to be cheaper then most imports.

It's all right though. American power with Eupropean handling and styling. All i have to do is save up some then i'll have the best made.

pdxgeek 07-14-2003 09:52 PM

When will Buell get it?

They can't beat other sport bikes or even standards on performance. Compare this XB12 to a Yamaha FZ1. The FZ1 puts 143hp to the crank 120 to the wheel, has a faring (with a better windshield for $85 it actually works). It has a great riding position and it only costs $8500.

I will grant Buell this... props for the under bike exhaust. I wish I could do that cheaply on my bandit... (or in 3 months my new FZ1 I hope).

Now I don't think it is a bad idea for harley to make an upright... but the problem is this... how about an upright bike or even a sport with all the harleyisms. Flames on tank, chrome, chrome and more chrome. There is not a single bike with all american classic Harley style that will conquer the twisties. THAT is what Buell should focus on.

Dave

Final Thought: I'm going to give the Buells another look when they move to a liquid cooled engine like the V-RODs

RC51_OR_DUCATI___ 07-14-2003 10:00 PM

Re: Buell XB12 Feedback === lost case again :)

Give me a break!

1/2 ton truck on 2 wheels?!

If thats good engineering, then fire them all!

Harley...stick to your choppers, this is not your game. E

Even if you pay M.O. to write happy reviews for ya !

I aint buying that boyzzzzz.......

Randall_1 07-14-2003 10:08 PM

Dang I hate to see Johny B go. He is the only author I know of that always hits it out of the park for me. Darn it. Good Luck JB!