Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-15-2003, 09:14 AM   #71
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB12 Feedback

Most of the Harley mafia think the Buell is some bast@rd child, and refer to anyone riding them as a monkey f*cking a football.

Just goes to show that there are a lot of small brained people out there on both sides.

Would like to agree with an above post, get some decent wind protection and mileage out of the tank probable be a nice sport tourer (oh yea add a passenger seat)
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2003, 09:20 AM   #72
Bluestring
Founding Member

Is there any truth to the rumour that Burns is moving to Wisconsin to become marketing director at Buell?

Enjoy the cheese and beer! Just remember to start riding south around the middle of October.
Bluestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:22 AM   #73
sarnali
Founding Member

That would be a good seller for them. According to the polls most MOrons do most of their miles commuting. Something like an XB12ST with a Bandit S like fairing, factory hardbags, and two-up seating coupled with their increased reliability and performance would be a pretty fun AND practical bike to have. Along the lines of an ST2, or ST4.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:27 AM   #74
Hadji
Founding Member

Default 103 HP at the crank.

103 HP & 24% more torque than an XB9 which dynoed at ~60 ft-lbs, so ~ 74 ft-lbs of torque.

Hate to see you depart Mr. Burnsomatic. I guess MO can always get an opinion from you when they test the bikes. Bon chance, mon ami.

Singles and Twins Forever!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:35 AM   #75
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Not to start a flame up, but isn't torque non-moving power? See I slept alot in school, I was out riding to much. If I remember that corectly then your definition of power is non-moving. Now I know that hp is based off of torque (one of those math formulas that the engineers here can spout) so don't hit me on that connection. I'm just tired of everyone saying that low rpm torque output is the only way to judge a useable motor. I've put too many miles on 2smokes to agree, and no it is not more difficult to control a high reving motor, or to live with one in the real world. It just means your right had is under less control if you say that.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:49 AM   #76
Hadji
Founding Member

Default Saaay Whaaaaat?

I think hell is freezing over. Come on KPaul, say it "Singles and Twins Forever" It's like a mantra. Singles and Twins forever, Singles and Twins forever, Singles and Twins forever, Oooooohhhhhhhmmmmmmmm.

Singles and Twins Forever!
Hadji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:56 AM   #77
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default BINGO!

That is what Buell needs, I would plop my $ down.

A Decent wind screen (not full dress) with the xb12s seating position (maybe relax the foot pegs a bit more, 6'-4 and long legs). Give me good performance, with 180+- mile tank (140+- spirited). Decent factory color matched bags (love the red). A place for my lady, and a fun style with not your ordinary bike appeal.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:04 AM   #78
Alaskan18724
Founding Member

I guess I've read Burns's stuff as long as anybody. Liked it when he was at Motorcyclist. Liked it at CW. Liked it here, too. Wasn't surprised to learn about the unfortunate law school stint; did two or three years there myself along the way. It improves the vocabulary, but does not, in and of itself, increase the joy inherent in life. Motorcycles do that.

John--Enjoy yourself. Come see us when you can.

Best,

Wes
Alaskan18724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:08 AM   #79
NHBandit69
Founding Member

Default Have you ever RIDDEN one?

If not, go talk your local Buell dealer into letting you take a spin. Most will. I figured there was no way in hell I'd EVER find myself liking a Buell, much less wanting one, until I did a test-ride at Bike Week in Laconia.

Even with all the praise JB has heaped on them (sorry to see you go, JB; we don't agree on politics, but you're a damn incredible writer, and you have my respect), you can't tell just how good the Buells are until you've spent time in the seat.

If the new XB12's weren't the same price as another bike I love (CBR1100XX), I'd probably buy one. Unfortunately, I enjoy sport-touring two-up with my wife as much as I enjoy blasting through twisties, and I don't see her and a weekend of luggage on the Buell. =(
NHBandit69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:17 AM   #80
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell is doomed...

but your joe rocket crowd typically can't and won't pitch that kind of money away on any bike on the planent, regardless of how fantastic it was. If they could, they'd all be riding Mille Rs and 999Ss.

I disagree. The "problem" is that the Japanese are very good at building very good bikes for a reasonable cost.

An open class "big 4" I4 liter bike runs about $10K-11K. That's the benchmark.

The MSRP on the 999S is around $23K - is it worth the premium over a GSXR1000? The market doesn't think so.

It's the same for Buell.

I test rode an M2 a number of years ago. It was an interesting bike ( as long as you weren't sitting at idle - that was annoying ) but at the time I looked at it I thought that it didn't really do anything that a Bandit 1200 couldn't also do - and the Bandit retailed for a lot less. The M2 did have "character", but the Bandit had more power and was essentially bulletproof, and character was but a slip-on away.

The XB12 is appealing, but today I'd probably buy an SV1000 instead if I wanted a naked performance twin.

There's nothing wrong with buying a bike because of character, but if Buell wants widespread market acceptance then they'll have to play the price/performance game.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote