Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-15-2003, 06:49 AM   #41
Mike_L
Registered Member

Default To all the Anti-Buellers

To all the Anti-Buellers . . . SHUT UP!

There are plenty of companies out there building the water-cooled bikes you love so much. Why do you insist that Buell build a bike just like them? It's quite clear that Buell doesn't want to build a bike just like everyone else has and they don't mind if you don't like it.

Personally, I love the new Buells. I sold my Cyclone last week and was hoping to get a leftover Falco. Now that I've seen these I've completely forgotten about the Aprilia. Buell built the bike I was asking for. They even made it in the right colors.

I'm totally out of excuses, I'm buying one.

Mike L.
'98 KTM 250 E/XC
'99 Z50R
'01 XR100R (wife's toy)
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2003, 06:50 AM   #42
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB12 Feedback === lost case again :)

What about this bike makes it a 1/2 ton truck?
Old 07-15-2003, 06:53 AM   #43
orangeokie
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB12 Feedback

This is the way I see the new Buells . . . I have been out of motorcycles for almost 30 years. I am going to buy (cash) a new bike this winter (when the best deals are available). I want a sportbike. The models I am considering are:

1. Kawasaki ZX7R (MSRP 8,799)

2. Kawasaki ZZR1200 (MSRP 10,499)

3. Ducati SS1000DS (MSRP 11,395)

4. Suzuki TL1000R (MSRP 9,599)

5. Triumph Daytona 955i (MSRP 11,995)

6. Buell XB12R (10,995)*

*(I rode an XB9R, but had recently removed it from my list of prospective bikes because I felt it was underpowered compared to the other bikes on my list, except maybe the Duck).

As you can see from my list of prospective bikes, I am not a cookie cutter type of buyer. So when I hear the snivelling remarks from the "wanna be like mike" crowd and their 600cc Jap rides. . . well, their comments carry zero weight on my purchase decision. I specifically do not want to be like everyone else on the road.

With no motorcycling experience in over 30 years, I will probably never get to a point where I use even half the potential of these bikes, in a racing situation. Therefore, the things most important to me are:

1. Style-If I don't like the looks of the bike, at a glace, I don't care what kind of motor, suspension, or dyno chart it has. Upside down forks is a plus.

2. Handling-The only bike on this list that I have heard having any handling problems is the ZZR, and that was related to the tires. The ZX7, TLR, SS1000, 955i, and XBR series have all good reputations for very stable handling.

3. Warranty-The Jap bikes on this list have a 1-year warranty (can purchase extended), but the two year-warranty of the Duck, Triumph and the Buell are a plus in my book.

4. Purchasing, owning, and riding a motorcycle is an emotional decision for me. As a former military pilot, I have an urge to feel the "g's" and a need for speed . . . again. In an ideal world, I could easily see myself owning a stable of about six bikes . . . but for now, I am going to have to be satisfied with one. Which will it be? . . . The XB12R is definitely high on the list. I really like the new amber wheels/ screen, and frame colors. I would probably buy the black one, 'cause I love orange and black!
orangeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:56 AM   #44
orangeokie
Founding Member

I have read where the XB12R is supposed to get 45-65 mpg. That equates to 135-195 miles with .5 gal reserve.
orangeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:57 AM   #45
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: To all the Anti-Buellers

"There are plenty of companies out there building the water-cooled bikes you love so much. Why do you insist that Buell build a bike just like them?"

Because its obvious to them that the only bikes worthy of any praise are those water-cooled bikes, since they make more HP, are one pound lighter every year, and go around a track 1/1000th of a second faster than last year's model. Any air/oil-cooled bike with pushrods couldn't possibly be as good a streetbike as the latest GSYBRXXRR5000. It offends them that any motorcycle company would build an "inferior" bike like the XB-12R, especially if its H-D, the worse of the old-technology blasphemers.

Old 07-15-2003, 07:14 AM   #46
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Nice work, Johnny.

Another excellent riding impression/review - rivalled only by your poignant farewell.

I purchased my R1150R partly because of the kudos you offered for it (and because of BMW's great test ride policy). I'm enjoying the bike thoroughly. It's just like you said, scraping the peg feelers, I can hear the bike laughing and egging me on to stay on the gas, all while being so comfortable and easy to live with.

I'll have a look at the Buell some day. Right now I forsee many happy years with my R.

And FWIW, I forsee many happy years for you. Carry on.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:22 AM   #47
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell is doomed...

"The problem is, all the new ones do is RESTORE the engine stroke, as the XB9R/S engine is the short-stroke blast-version of the sportster-engine design."

No. Please show me the current Sportster engine that makes 103HP.

"But who CARES!?! The engine is one of those abominations which should have been shot 10 years ago: You don't make a real sportbike, or even a good pseudo-sportbike, out of that cruddy, unbalanced, overweight sportster POS!!!"

They're not trying to make a cookie-cutter inline four sportbike or pseudo-sportbike- they've created something different. That's the point, which you've entirely missed. If you really want an inline four Buell, go buy a Bandit or ZRX and slap some Buell badges on the tank. If you want a liquid-cooled high-horsepower V-twin, buy a Ducati Monster S4 and do the same.

"Even HD doesn't use the engine except in the bargan-basement sportsters. The only reason for the funky (and expensive) gas in frame, oil in swingarm, and other funkyness is simply because the bloated sportster engine needs a MASSIVE frame, a gigantic airbox, and a separate oil tank."

They don't use this engine in sportsters, or anything else but this model.

"Only the Buell "faithful" would ever get one, the same market which have gotten such dismal results in the past: 1.6% of HD's gross revenue ($66 million), a whopping ~10,000 bikes a year (including the wretched Be-last, grossing ~$6.6k/bike,[1]) and the same basic numbers for the past several years........"

So what? Why does it matter to you how many units Buell sells? Are you a stockholder? I personally don't care about the market share/units sold of a company as long as they stay in business so that I can still get parts for the bikes I buy from them. All that matters to me (and probably to most people) is how good the bike functions for the intended purpose, that's all.

"It always suprises me that HD keeps buell alive. There must be some nasty clauses in the origional buyout agreement which keeps them from closing the line and producing more big bikes, after all, the cost of making a Buell is about the same as making an UltraWideBody747ClassicElectraglide, which can make $5k-10k more for HD, with the same employees and a retooled assembly line."

Ughhh. If HD thought they could make more money by switching their Buell production resources to E-Glides, they would. The problem with your business model here is that you completely ignore the key factor that determines production quantities- demand. The reason they don't switch Buell production to E-Glides is that there probably isn't enough additional demand every year for E-Glides to warrant switching over all the Buell production resources. Why should they make more E-Glides if they are going to sit in the showrooms unsold until next year?

Old 07-15-2003, 07:24 AM   #48
cfc
Registered Member

Default More power ar ar ar!

After riding the x1, m2 and the Firebolt at the track, the only thing holding me back from buying the Bolt was the lack of brute power that the x1 (with race kit) had. Hopefully this power is back, because this is a fun bike.

For those of us Harley riders who want something sportier this is more than enough bike, and probably more than enough for 90% of the squid's out there.

Maybe this thing will let me keep up with my kid's 600 CBR. Maybe!!!

Is this be the complete package now? There's alway room for more power if nothing else!
cfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:38 AM   #49
maladg
Registered Member

As usual, another fine article by Burns! Learning that Burns is off to Advert land did nothing to improve my day...oh well.

Burns, I'll be looking for you each time I open a new issue of CW. You better be there occasionally. You DON'T want me to have to come out there to GreyGore country and open up a can on ya now. Best luck and best wishes to you - somebody is getting one fine, creative ad guy! Maybe we'll see some bike ads that don't suck.

Even though physically small sport bikes are not my cup of tea, you morons who keep complaining about a bike you clearly don't own (or really know much about) gives us regular morons a bad name. As Principal Skinner's mom sez: " What a bunch of dumb sacks of crap".
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:43 AM   #50
Yamahanian
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Shills For RNC?

Burns, I will miss you. But I take heart in the rumor that you have signed on to the Republican National Committee to write copy for the Bush reelection campaign. You will undoubtedly bring a fresh perspective to the RNC, and just think of the fun you will have bashing the Demoncrats!
Yamahanian is offline   Reply With Quote