Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-15-2003, 03:54 AM   #21
designeraccd
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell XB12 Feedback

These Buells may not be the "fastest", but based on the one 9R I tried, they are entertaining bikes to ride. My two everyday bikes are a FJR 1300 and a '02 std 1200 Sportster. The Sporty is a stone age no tech bike, but of the 60+ bikes I've had over the years, she is one of my favorites. Logic, specs...nothing to do with it; I simply enjoy the bike immensely! Besides she has lots of "eye candy", and the Buells are doinn pretty good in that arena too, altho without the H-D reliance on chrome, chrome and more chrome(my Sporty has no extra tacky, oops tacked on chrome) DFO

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2003, 04:12 AM   #22
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell is doomed...

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

The engines for the XB series were designed anew from the ground up a few years back. The only thing they share in common with the XL engines is that their respective parts can be made using the same machines/tools at the Capitol Drive plant in Milwaukee. So your assertion that "HD doesn't use the engine except in the bargan-basement sportsters" is simply wrong. Fact is, it's not in any other bike. Hell, I wish they did stuff an XB engine into a sporty. I'll take 100 HP (XB12) over 50 (XL1200) any day of the week.

I'm not going to bother checking your math or your numbers, but you might want to consider that the members of the grey ponytail brotherhood (TM KPaul) will gladly pony up $18K+ for a fully loaded bagger, but your joe rocket crowd typically can't and won't pitch that kind of money away on any bike on the planent, regardless of how fantastic it was. If they could, they'd all be riding Mille Rs and 999Ss. You might also want to make sure the numbers you're using don't include things like Parts & Accessories and Motorclothes, which are a SUBSTANTIAL part of H-D's bottom line.

And on a related note, Buell's appeal to, and are targeted toward, a younger demographic than Harley's. I'm sure Harley knows better than anyone that their average aged owners are more and more considering trading their Hogs in for the latest and greatest chrome and leather fringe wheelchairs. Knowing this, Harley must figure that every young or even middle aged customer they can get onto a Buell and into the "H-D family" is one more old fart who might be willing to drop 18K on an FLHTCUI someday, once dragging a knee becomes a secondary consideration. Sounds like a great reason to keep Buell around to me.

Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:36 AM   #23
jmoore813
Registered Member

Default Say it ain't (even if it is)

You've gone the way of Carrithers and Ford (though haven't they come back?)

I'll tell you the truth, you are the reason I subscribed to Motorcyclist, and the reason I subscribed to MO. It'd be nice to read a regular "Burnsie" column, say once a month (take Egan, not necessarily about new bikes, or old, but about biking as a whole).

I'll miss ya, ya big (or is that little?) lug.
jmoore813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:38 AM   #24
seruzawa
The Toad

These Buell articles always bring out the magazine junkies who decide which is the best bike based solely on dyno charts. How naive.

An interesting example of the fallacy of relying on dyno charts is amply illustrated in mcusa's article comparing two hopped up Mean Streaks.

Read it and marvel that the bike with less HP and torque is faster regardless of rider. I'll leave it to the dyno chart geniuses to explain this impossibility.

The fact that Buell irritates that certain demographic of snivelling whiners so much only makes it more attractive.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:43 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Now if we can just get a liquid cooled bike with a full faring..... we then get yet another cookie cutter sportbike.

The people who hate Harleys and Buells will never buy one no matter what Eric Buell does. Since they pretend that HD is still in its AMF mode after more than 20 years after the buy out why should anyone think that a water-cooled Buell will attract these clowns? They'll just think of some other way to misreperesent the marque.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:56 AM   #26
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Is that?

Is that Kool-Aid Grape or Very Berry?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 04:57 AM   #27
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell is doomed...

Obviously not a stockholder.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:59 AM   #28
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: It is hard to slide a bike if it only has peaky power.

Yeah, Jake Zemke on the 600RR has so much trouble with that.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:07 AM   #29
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default It's like adult undergarments.

It depends.

Sport Rider did a story not too long ago about modding a GSXR750 to go 'round a track. One of the biggest gains in lap times it was a pipe and a ECM. More Hp = shorter times.

That said, this online mag did a test with the Aprillia Mille R, the GSXR1000, and the Kawi 6R, and the Kawi had 2 out of the three fastest times.

Hell, most folks aren't able to sample the edges of the performance envelope of 600SSs.

The problems with Buell are sales (finding a market for these bikes as HD riders and Squids view them with some disdain) and reliability (perceived or otherwise).
Old 07-15-2003, 05:26 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Spoken like a used VFR rider

So Buell offers something different. Isn't Viva la difference' what Berkeley is all about?

It's not like there is a shortage of inline 4 Supersports.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote