Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Buell XB12 Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1978)

jakal3932 07-23-2003 11:19 AM

Re: RC51 or Ducati Probably does not have a bike

Half ton trucks have been around for awhile but that sportster motor was introduced to compete with British twins in the late 60's.

There is your half ton truck reference explained.

Yeah the bike looks good and probably handles well, but that motor leaves alot to be desired. Especially in a $10k package.

I do agree that a twin is the ultimate street motor...

Just not this one.

Try an SV or for more bang for your buck check out a used TL or a Super Hawk.

No doubt either of these will be as nimble in the twisties and one heck of alot quicker in a straight line.

jakal3932 07-23-2003 11:23 AM

Re: Another year, another disappointment...

I agree.

On one point anyway.

The V-Rod motor would be great in this package. I am afraid that you are right about the fit portion, but who cares. Lengthen the bike appropriately and give us what we friggin want.

Aren't we the customer for crissakes!!

jakal3932 07-23-2003 11:40 AM

Re: Duh.

And you think you understand the market better?

Economics 101 supply and demand.

Erik Buell wants to sell bikes, the majority of potential Buell buyers want a water cooled more powerful bike for their hard earned $10k.

I would guess that if Erik had his druthers he would make what the market desires and laugh all the way to the bank. I don't think that he has any say in what motor is in that bike.

Got a devils advocate response to that champ?

jakal3932 07-23-2003 11:47 AM

Re: Buell XB12 Feedback

Listen up and listen good.

You will be most happy with the TLR.

No doubt in my mind.

The Buell sounds like a winner but no one can prove it to me.

The TLR is a winner and with Yosh exhausts is sounds like a big block and has enough torque and horsepower to make you learn a bit of right had restraint.

Now go buy one while you can.

orangeokie 07-24-2003 07:22 PM

Buy American . . . Buy Buell

Back in 1979, in the aftermath of the Iranian embassy fiasco, the birth of Ted Koppel and Nightline, and the United States embroiled in an Oil Crisis with gasoline breaking the $1.00 per gallon for the first time in history . . . President Carter came on the TV for a fireside chat. He said Americans were going to have to tighten their belts. He also admonished all Americans to "Buy American."

With the coming of one of America's greatest Presidents, Ronald Reagan, the patriotic "Buy American" mantra skyrocketed, along with the U.S. economy, bringing the big 3 car manufactureres out of the doldrums, and Chrysler in particualr, back from the brink of bankruptcy.

The Japanese created clearly superior cars to those of the U.S. but Americans continued to buy American, and the economy grew.

Now, 25 years later, we need to once again . . . "Buy American" . . . and Buy Buell. Here is an original American sportbike manufacturer with a quality product and an affordable price. Regardless of what the Japanese or Europeans are putting out there, we need to support America and buy these motorcycles.

I have come to the conclusion I am going to do my part, and buy a new XB12R this December, for Christmas, just as soon as I complete my job on a new gas pipeline . . . thank you Lord for the work!

When you buy Buell you are helping to support American families, instead of sending your hard earned money over seas to a bunch of ungrateful foreigners.

ZRX_bullock 07-25-2003 08:34 AM

Re: Buy American . . . Buy Buell

With this line of reason; "When you buy Buell you are helping to support American families, instead of sending your hard earned money over seas to a bunch of ungrateful foreigners".

Buell will never make anything better then they have with the current line of bikes. Demand a bike that can stand up to any other manufactures best sport/naked/standard; otherwise Buell will only appeal to the Fascist crowd.

buellamonster 07-25-2003 04:04 PM

I have to laugh when Buell gets credit for the gas in the frame and his uni-planar damping system.

The Buell frame maker, Verilachi (sp?) made frames for Beta Trials bikes in the mid 90's. The bikes gas was in the Beta perimeter frame.

Uni-planar by any other name would be Norton Isolastic. I'll give thumbs up for making the system work better than Norton, but Jeeez...

Eric - at least give credit to where it is due.

ridinsince59 07-29-2003 11:55 AM

Re: Buell...I thought Burns was hired by Buell!

"The problem comes when they are stacked up against anything else they come up way short. That there is the problem; no top end, no range, no acceleration and prone to reliability problems, and expensive for the market they are competing against."

Amen!

"Compare a Buell to any 600 super sport or anything like the Kawasaki Z1000 is like comparing apples to oranges. John Burns and others, for some reason make this comparison. A lie repeated often enough and with much earnest does not make it true."

And Amen!

I thought Burnsie was gonna say he was leaving to write ads for Buell; seriously, his Buell reviews(?) read almost like HD(tm) ad copy!

Seems like you left last year anyway, Burnsie...

brucelee 08-22-2003 05:49 PM

I have a xb9s and I am averaging 53 MPG with a mix of mostly street riding. At 3.7 gal tank, that gives me a cruising range of about 185 miles. On a tour, more like 200 miles.

How many miles do you need between gas stations?

brucelee 08-22-2003 05:51 PM

I rode a new 650 before I bought a XB9S. What a piece of tin! and Boring as hell.