Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-16-2003, 03:13 AM   #121
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Kool-aid drinkers

It was a parking lot contest. Not a road course, not even the Streets of Willow. It was test designed to make the Buell look good. Unfortunately it was beat by a cheaper Japanese i-4, the Honda CBR4Fi.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-16-2003, 03:31 AM   #122
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: To all the Anti-Buellers

I agree! I applaud Eric Buell for adhereing to his "first Principles" regarding bike design, and I think the updates that made the sportster lump into the Buell engine are ingenious. I"M curious as to how manyparts these two engines actualy DO share in common.

Buells are kewl and unique, and embody creative solutions to the problem of designing a sporting motorcycle...

Mr. Burns, sorry to see you go as a regular contributor. I have alwasy enjoyed your articles and essays, none so much more than you'r old "Bitter Little Man" column you penned for Motorcyclist. I have always found in you a kindred soul, embracing the heresy,as it were.

I also identify with your sentiment about o longer really caring which of the top sportbikes is fastest, the mfgr's squeezing the formula to eke out the last tiny fractions of improvement.

Must be an age thing, eh?

Good Luck!
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 04:46 AM   #123
boru4761
Registered Member

Default Re: Buell XB12 Feedback

Just ponied up for another year of MO(its twelve freakin dollars people). I mean, " JB, I love you man." but the show must go on. Hell, I think I'm gonna go buy a Buell just to ***** off the rest of the whiners. KPaul, are you with me?
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:18 AM   #124
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Bravo Buell and Thanks to JB

Don't worry about losing your edge, KPaul.

It's obvious that we have Betamax and Fizzchem to carry the flag of gratuitous HD/Buell bashing.

Old 07-16-2003, 06:36 AM   #125
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell is doomed...

"An open class "big 4" I4 liter bike runs about $10K-11K. That's the benchmark. "

Benchmark for what" Open class sportbikes? In case you didn't notice, this isn't an open class sportbike, so this statement is meaningless.

"The MSRP on the 999S is around $23K - is it worth the premium over a GSXR1000? The market doesn't think so."

See previous point.

"There's nothing wrong with buying a bike because of character, but if Buell wants widespread market acceptance then they'll have to play the price/performance game."

They're probably not interested in widespread market acceptance right now. They're more focused on what really matters to a large business- making money. If they can make more money selling this kind of bike, then that's what they should do.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:52 AM   #126
lcarlson
Founding Member

Sorry to see you go, Mr. Burns – I’ve enjoyed your style and command of the (mostly) English language since getting back into riding in the early 90s. Hope you return to active moto-duty in some capacity somewhere down the road (Didn’t Tim Carrithers try a brief foray into advertising a few years ago?). We’ll see. Nice piece on the Buell, BTW. Buell’s really ARE different (I know, I own a Cyclone), and it’s not a bad thing.
lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:07 AM   #127
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Check YOUR numbers. Look at an actual dyno chart for the FZ-1 and XB-9R and this is what you will find (the only number I could estimate for the 12 was peak torque since that's the only one they make a claim about in the story).

RPM: FZ-1 XB-9R XB-12R

4000 60 52

5000 65 58

6000 68 58

7000 72 55 68.2

8000 73 0

To have 15% more average torque than an FZ-1 like you claim this bike would have, it would need to have an increase ranging between 30-50% over the XB-9R, which is highly unlikely at best. Even a 15% increase over the spread of the curve (again unlikely) would only just match the FZ-1. And peak torque, even with a 24% increase like the story claims, is still less than the FZ.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:13 AM   #128
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Duh.

No, that's not what I'm saying. For that market, that is the correct approach to take ( the same approach works with MX bikes too). All I am saying is that anyone who applies that reasoning to this bike simply does not understand anything about the bike.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:29 AM   #129
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: New Sportster?

First, enjoyed your article on the XB12. I attended the Superbike races at Infinean Raceway (Sear's Point) earlier this year and found the Buell test-ride tent. Since the races were rained out I was able to go on two test rides (an XB9S and an XB9S-Low... I'm inseam challenged).

I enjoyed both of the bikes immensly and the Buell factory guys were very cool and more than generous with their test rides (each was a 20-25 mile loop through the hills... yeah!)

Anyway, I'm starting to hear some rumors that H-D may finally be getting ready to release an all-new Sportster at this year's dealer show. I also hear that they may be using a Buell engine.

Anyone have any info?

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:00 AM   #130
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Daytona MSRP

The Daytona now has an MSRP of $9999.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote