Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Buell XB12 Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1978-buell-xb12-feedback.html)

Ducgroupie 07-15-2003 02:35 PM

Buells are like Harley's (it's a good thing, trust me)

You need to spend a couple a' bucks and then you can get big power out of them. That's one of the beauties of the American bikes there more fun and easier to add go-fast parts yourself.

Ducgroupie out

Vlad 07-15-2003 03:46 PM

Johnny B

It is with a tear in my eye that I notice the diminishing role of Johnny B. John, people may not always agree with you, but they don't always agree with me either. But you're always interesting. Don't stop with the contributions. The world needs more cynical people.

Vlad

stucker 07-15-2003 03:55 PM

Re: Buell XB12 Feedback

Check your numbers...Coming from this web sites own dyno charts, the FZ1 produces an average usable torque of about 65 ft-lbs, with a brief peak at just under 75. With peak torque of 85 ft-lbs for the XB12, and an average tourqu likely 15% more than the FZ1, saying that "The FZ-1 has more torque everywhere than the Buell" is simply wrong.

OldBaldy 07-15-2003 04:43 PM

Why is it that those who rate a sports motorcycle solely by its dyno output, are usually near the back of the pack when riding in the twisties?

It's interesting that on a 1-mile handling course laid out by Don Canet, in the July 2002 Cycle World "Ten Best" comparo, that old dino engined 1000cc Buell was more than 2 seconds FASTER than the FZ1, despite the FZ1's 50% power advantage. The Buell was also faster than the Interceptor, the 145HP ZZ-R1200, the V-Strom, the Futura, the ST4S, the R1150R and the Sprint ST.

So, unless you spend all your time on a dragstrip or wide open racetrack, that little Buell will give you a MAJOR headache, out in the real world twisties and around town.

Nuf said.

Blake_1 07-15-2003 05:00 PM

Like the Cycle World Street Course Competition?

Don Canet tested ten of what CW categorized as the best street bikes along with the CBR600F4i. The XB9R tied for first and only after Canet admitted to "revving the ***** out of the Honda" to match the Buell's lap time. Mr. FZ1... great bike and a great deal too, but you should know what all that extra rpm and peak HP gets you... over 2 full seconds slower in the CW street handling test compared to the XB9R.

The FZ1 is a fine bike, really it is, if you like cradle tube frames and IL4 enigines.

boru4761 07-15-2003 05:02 PM

I agree that Buell customers are kind of their own breed but I think they will eventually have to be accepted by the HD crowd because most Buell riders will be their sons and daughters. Like someone said earlier, the Buell line is a great way to get young(er) riders into the HD family. As for reliability, I have already had several HD-Buell dealers tell me they would sell me the same extended warranty (6yrs) on an XB9S that my dad got on his Dyna Superglide for about the same price.

Blake_1 07-15-2003 05:16 PM

Like the Cycle World Street Course Competition?

Don Canet tested ten of what CW categorized as the best street bikes along with the CBR600F4i. The XB9R tied for first and only after Canet admitted to "revving the ***** out of the Honda" to match the Buell's lap time.

Mr. FZ1... great bike and a great deal too, but you should know what all that extra rpm and peak HP gets you... over 2 full seconds slower in the CW street handling test compared to the XB9R.

The FZ1 is a fine bike; really it is... if you like cradle frames and Japanese IL4 engines.

boru4761 07-15-2003 07:17 PM

Bout this Burns character...

I guess this isnt really farewell so I wont get all teary eyed. I signed up with MO right before JB did and I really thought I had wasted my $12 (not that I was crying its $12 freaking dollars people). The site was interesting and it was great to get reviews and shootouts sooner than print but it really didn't have much that I couldn't get from an afternoon at Borders reading the print rags while slurping down way too much coffee type product. Then JB came along and stirred the pot like only he can. This brought all sorts of characters out of the woods (by woods I mean the scary Black Forest part of JB's mind where the Highwayman hides). It was in the ensuing melee that I learned all kinds of things about motorcycles, motorcycling and the nature of human beings (stupid laws, stupid opinions, stupid cliques). So, thanks JB for giving MO the kick in the arse that it needed and thanks MO for putting up with JBs particular style. Oh, and a special thanks to all you MOrons for all the edumacation.

mattwood440 07-15-2003 08:19 PM

more power to a bike that has cutting edge looks and surprising innovations. sounds good to me. too bad about the price though, and I say get rid of the fly screen altogether (on the S) and make an accessory windshield, or wait for the aftermarket to do so. Me, I'm looking at a 03 1200 Bandit (non-S). They say they'll give it too me for $6400 and I already have a large National Cycle Plexifairing 3 windshield from my current bike that also fits the Bandit, but I only use it when it gets cold or on long trips.

orangeokie 07-15-2003 08:58 PM

I may be moving to Arizona before long (Phoenix). How is the riding out there? It's always good to hear there is an HD dealer who will deal.