Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-07-2003, 04:43 PM   #1
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Beemers, Brats & Buzglyd?

If you were going to drink and ride, you should have taken the Glyd, it would have been more appropiate
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2003, 04:45 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, I guess we can all see now what babe magnets BMWs (and their riders) are. (snicker snicker)
Old 07-07-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
12er
Founding Member

Default Brats? There were no stinking Brats...

DonÂ’t worry you didnÂ’t miss a thing. The rally was the biggest joke IÂ’ve seen or paid for... My wife and I had a fabulous ride up on Friday, we took 49 and Downieville needs to be seen to be believed. Talk about a pristine mining town (as you now know). We arrived around noon thirty to a nearly empty parking lot.

Once we got our wristbands and swag we wandered in. Of course all the demo rides were booked by 8:30 a.m. There were only 3 very small food vendors and the 10 billion seat beer garden with only 2 people actually in there. Spaten being the only German brew, no Warstiener? What the hell... Five minutes later we had checked out all 10 booths full of nothing to buy or even interest to anyone. We did cruise through the "Museum" and while it had some nice bikes more info would of been great. Instead each bike had one small paragraph about it and on to the next. About that time the stunt show started and had my wife and I in stitches. Something about a crazy Frenchman doing stoppies and wheelies on a R1200C will bring a smile to anyoneÂ’s face. Ten minutes and about 3 tires later the stunt show was over and we checked out the clothing display. Figuring they had more than what was on display my wife and I headed off to lunch.

We had to leave the rally and went over to the resort to find real food. After a fine lunch on the patio we wandered back in to pick up a shirt my wife wanted. Guess what, they only had what they had. Half way through day 1 and they were out of most everything. So, disgusted and bored we headed for the gate, on the way out we checked out the off road seminar. It was very informative for anyone that hadnÂ’t ridden a bike off road, or a bike at all for that matter. Just the basics on off road control, which was good for my wife as she is starting to become interested in moving from pillion to rider. We got to the bike and cut off our wristbands then I figured out how to strap on the swag to the already loaded bike and headed off to our room in Carson City.

Traffic around the lake sucked but the scenery is as fabulous as ever. The drop down 50 to Carson City was a blast, several miles of long 40mph sweeping 180 degree turns with no traffic. Even two up fully loaded the Speedo was reading 90 with the pegs grinding. The temp just got hotter and hotter with every turn down the mountain along with the grin on my face getting wider and wider. Once at the light at 395 with no more twisty goodness the 30-degree temp change really set in. We sweated our way to the room, thank God for ACÂ… Along with the fabulous ride up 49, Dinner at AdeleÂ’s in Carson City has to be experienced to believe. Culinary Heaven I tell you, the 3 hours we spent at dinner vanished faster than the road behind us. If anyone is within 100 miles of Carson City, make the trip to AdeleÂ’s. ItÂ’s by no means cheap, but worth every pennyÂ…

Saturday morn I awoke at the crack of early to head back and sign up for the demo rides. The ride back up 50 was even more fun solo with an unloaded bike. I definitely shortened the life of my tires on that stretch. No caffinated beverage can compare to miles of your knee inches off the pavement (no sliders on the ‘stich) with the Speedo over a ton. I pulled into the lot at Squaw right at 8 a.m. SURPRISE!!!! 75 riders already in line for the demos. So after an hour in line anything worth riding was taken and the bike I really wanted to test wasn’t even available. For the record it was the CS650, wanted to test it for my Wife, as apparently everyone was right, they did design it for women…

After finding out my early morning rise was for not I milled around the lot bsÂ’n with many riders from all over. After many great conversations and about an hour and a half I figured I would walk on over to registration and get a new wrist band so I could enter. "Hans" asked if he could help and I said "Sure, just need to get another wrist band." To my shock and horror you were expected to wear the $.02 baby blue plastic wristband the entire 3 days. "Hans" is threatening me with having to pay another $50 just to get in the door. He grabs me by the arm and starts dragging me over to the table telling anyone within earshot not to give me anything. IÂ’m about 2 seconds from knocking "Hans" out when the lovely folks behind the registration table convince him to allow me to have another band. "See, his name is right here on the list." He finally lets go of my arm, still giving me the riot act for not going to a $150 dinner the night before wearing my baby blue POS wristbandÂ…

At that point I was ready to bail but figured I would at least stroll in and see if anything new appeared overnight since Saturday was the main day. Nope, not one thing new. Disgusted and still nobody there I was on the way out when the stunt show started. This time he was going to play on the K12LT, I had to stay for that. But as it turns out the altitude made for no fun on the LT, not enough power to get the front up even dumping the clutch. 11 A.M. and I was on the road back to Carson City (complete with another blast down 50). Luckily "Run what you Brung" was going on in Carson, Classic cars and hot-rods everywhere. My wife, her friend and I lay out by the pool and watched the rods cruise by, made for a fine day.

The next morning we arose early and packed up for the ride home. Found a nice place for a greasy breakfast then headed down 395 to 88 to 89 to 4. 4 along the Carson River is even more fun than 49. The ride up over the pass is just as fabulous. If anyone gets the chance take Highway 4 up and over, its worth every mileÂ…

All in all I had an excellent weekend, great roads, great weather and great people. Just the rally suckedÂ…

12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 06:28 PM   #4
ebass
Founding Member

Default Dammit 12er!

If I woulda known that you and Hans were gonna throw down, I woulda gladly had your back. Next time $hit like that goes down just shout, "MOrons of the world, UNITE!" and we'll all come running bruddah!
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

what no disco mustach? you're next seruzawa!!
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 07:34 PM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I ditched my cookie duster more than ten years ago. I've refrained from growing the ubiquitous goatee so prevelent among San Diego Padres ballplayers.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 03:08 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm suprised anyone could get Buz out of the Bingo tent long enough to take a picture. After being seen at this gathering, you are hereby banned from attending the 100th, and will be promptly arrested at the border of Wisconsin. I have the wanted posters all over the state. I'm sure you won't be interested in attending anyway, since the cancelled the free Geritol transfusions, like they had there.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:33 AM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I wasn't seen attending this event because I didn't. It was such a snooze fest there was no way I was throwing down $50 to watch a wet Depends contest.

Brian and I sneaked through the back while the gates were open for the food service trucks. We met EBass had one beer and walked right out. The two floosies I have in the picture were met at a bar and didn't know anything about the event.

Have you noticed on H-D's website that the tickets for the event are sold out? I wasn't planning on getting a ticket because I couldn't care less about a t-shirt and a pin. And well, I saw Foghat when I was 14 and don't need to see them ever again.

I'm still trying to decide my itinerary so I can get through the damn desert without melting. Can I borrow your trailer?
Old 07-08-2003, 05:20 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Trailer? I ain't got no stinking trailer! I got my tix mailed last week. No tee shirt, but I did get selected as one of 5000 to do the parade on Saturday the 30th. Maybe it's because of my high standing in the Grey Ponytailed Brotherhood. Hell, I'm not even sure if I'm going, but I have the tix if I decide to. There is going to be so much free stuff there isn't a need for a ticket anyway. Just get here and the fun will find you.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:26 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'll make sure to line the route so I can throw something at you.

Can you imagine the amount of staging time for that parade? You'll be sitting there for hours waiting to go.

Why don't you ***** 'em all off and ride your Kawasaki in the parade. You know the shovel won't make it without overheating or needing a top end rebuild!