Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-08-2003, 04:42 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Beemers, Brats & Buzglyd?

They are staging it at the Milwaukee Zoo (perfect eh?) and I never thought of riding the Shovel. Damn that sounds like a good idea. All I need is you to follow me and pick up the parts, as well as push when it dies. You'll have a great time.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2003, 04:53 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Crossing the desert?

Do what I do. Hang an i-v full of gatorade from the sissybar and plug in.

Comin' from Dago, right? Ride up the coast to LA then head east on I-10, catch I-15 to Barstow. Then stage out of Barstow at 5 AM. You can make Mesquite by 10 AM if you don't dawdle and miss the worst of the heat. Then you can spend the day in the AC pulling handles. Or just blow through to St. George (another 1/2 hour or so), once you head up the grade out of St. George it'll cool right down.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:58 AM   #13
bigjames
Premium Member

You want to see what the REAL BMW folks do at a National Rally (Sorry BMW NA, you don't put on as good a party as either the MOA or RA or even HD)? Well check out http://www.bmwra.org/rally_2003.htm and head to Birmingham, Alabama October 2-5. This would be the BMW Riders Association's National at Barber's Motorsports Park. No, there will be no cole slaw wrestling, but there will be a good time had by all, even if you show up on a Harley (or a Ducati, or anything else for that matter)! And yes, there will be BEER and demo rides (just don't do them in that order, please) and yes, you still have to sign up early to get to ride anything....BMW NA graciously provides demo bikes at the rallies.

BigJames

(yes, the same BigJames that does the Rally Map and BSS for On The Level)
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 05:45 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Heck I'd be stuck in traffic all day if I went through LA. I can catch 15 North just 15 minutes from my home in Carlsbad. I was thinking about doing Carlsbad to Grand Junction the first day (800 miles).

My company is based in Junction so there will be a lot of friendly faces and a place to crash. It's about 2150 miles from here to Milwaukee. I'd like to ride it in three days but we'll take four just in case.

Damn it's gonna be hot!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:03 AM   #15
rmenk
Founding Member

Just got back from taking in the beautiful Wisconsin countryside near Lake Geneva on my BMW CLC. I stopped after the ride for a latte at Starbucks and spent an hour taking to the admirers who wanted to know all about this wonderful machine. One guy claimed he owned an LT and wanted to try the CLC - I offerred him a helmet and the key. He said he was a cop and declined the helmet but took me up on the offer to try out the bike. He returned in ten minutes exhuberant from his first ride on BMW's version of the American cruiser impressed at the excellent powerband, handling and comfort. Folks - it's that good and makes no claim to be anything other than a rock-solid, comfortable and beautifully engineered bike built to cruise. Read whatever you like, but this is an fine piece of German machinery. Just me 2 cents worth...
rmenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:05 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

What was that about avoiding the desert..... LOL.

I don't think there's any way that you could ride through MORE desert.

Just don't forget the i-v. Last time I rode I-15 in July I drank a half gallon of gatorade between Vegas and Mesquite (about 100 miles) and when I stopped there I couldn't pi$$.

It also helps to soak your self with water when you gas up and take a shaker bottle to wet yer trousers. Though the thought of driving a shovelhead through Nevada in July/August is enough to make anyone wet their trousers. Can you say "rear cylinder"?
Old 07-08-2003, 07:09 AM   #17
rmenk
Founding Member

Default BMW CLC Marketing Meltdown

My friendly BMW dealer claims the CLC has become the company's second best selling bike behind the RT. That fact left me wondering what kind of marketing strategy BMW is using to peddle the CLC and make it competitive with Harley. Formitable challenge that it may be to take a chunk out of Harley's cruiser sales, it nonetheless seems (in my biased opinion) BMW has a rock-solid entry with the CLC in the cruiser market. I'd therefore expect to see BMW heavily market the CLC - especially on television - just as BMW does with it's automobiles. The hell with the whole notion of BMW being a "niche" in the USA motorcycle marketplace; when you are competing with Harley and truly believe in the CLC as a platform for future cruisers then why not set sales goals high and use marketing dollars to meet those goals?

Out the door the CLC will cost around $18K. That is less that the typical Harley cruiser buyer pays. Mechanically and aesthetically the CLC wins hands down. The test ride is the deal-maker to sell the CLC. Have the marketing geniuses at BMW get some butts in the saddle for a test ride. Get a crowbar and pry open BMW's marketing wallet and pony up the dollars. It just can't be that difficult. Can it?

rmenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 07:23 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

So you're saying I'll be better off taking 15 up to I-80 rather than I-70?

I use the wet shirt technique and I have one of those cool vests that you soak in water like the highway workers wear.

The geezer-glide doesn't have that much airflow through my chest though. I may have to leave the fairing lowers at home.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:09 AM   #19
bigjames
Premium Member

Default Re: BMW CLC Marketing Meltdown

Unfortunatly, it has less power, is less confortable and can haul less than the equivalently priced (Electra Glide Classic) Harley! I know, I own a '03 Eglide Classic and a '00 BMW K1200LT (that out handles, is faster and is more comfortable than the Harley or the CLC and can cost less than either).

Would not take a CLC for either one of them. It still looks like an old R100RT on acid to me! Now if BMW would put the R1150RS or R motor in the CLC, well now, that would be a different story...

But if you want to try one, head to Alabama in October and attend the BMW RA National Rally....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 08:15 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW CLC Marketing Meltdown

My guess is that there is not a lot of cross-shopping between a Beemer and a Harley.

The only Harleys more than $18,000 are the big Electra Glides and SVO bikes.

Aesthetics are more personal and personally I think the Beemer cruiser is fugly. Also there is really not much you can do to "hop up" a boxer without spending piles of cash. Harleys are easy to mod to whatever performance level one prefers.