Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-13-2003, 04:43 PM   #21
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Fieldsheer Cabrio Reader Feedback

Here is what I've learned about washing waterproof clothing. No fabric softener and more importantly use powder detergent, not liquid. And, as already mentioned, rinse it twice. Even Gore-Tex will lose it's "waterproofness" after extended wear and washing so buy one of the sprays available for retreating waterproof fabrics. Sorry, don't have the names of any but just ask someone from a store like REI, EMS, etc. They can tell you.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2003, 05:05 PM   #22
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Fieldsheer Cabrio Reader Feedback

Ha, it's funny you mention the distribution thing. I ended up ordering directly from Fieldsheer too because I couldn't find a Mach 1 jacket (i.e. summer riding titanium mesh) anywhere in the Chicagoland area. However, I had a better experience with FS customer service in that they called me after I placed the order and said it would be delayed a week in shipping. I couldn't believe someone actually called me. I guess the most I would have expected was a canned email. Anyway, the rep told me that FS moved their production facilities from Pakistan (hmmm, why wouldn't you want to do business in Pakistan these days I wonder?) to China. But, China was in the middle of some Chinese 30 day holiday and they couldn't get enough people to come to work to meet production requirements. For good measure he threw in "and then that whole SARS thing happened". Yeah, SARS sucks I bet. So maybe distribution problems are coming to an end.

Anyhoo, I have to say the FS Mach 1 jacket I have is great. I also own a JR Meteor 3.0 and the FS, I believe, is a superior jacket. I have a 41 1/2 chest and the 42 size fit me perfect (whereas a JR large is too big for me). The armor lines up and stays exactly where it should be no matter how you flail your arms around (not quite so on the JR but again it's a little too big for me). Also, the armor extends down the forearm and does not stop just covering the elbow (same for the shoulders). The back armor feels sturdier than the JR as well. Venting is excellent (although the hottest I've worn it in is 83 but it was great). Easily accessible pockets (JR Meteor jacket pockets SUCK! Tollbooths mean panic time). And to top it off, the FS Mach 1 comes with a liner. Perfect for "hot-days-cool-nights" riding. All this for $119 plus shipping from FS. I've crashed in neither but I did have someone punch me really hard in the shoulder and it didn't hurt. Okay, it was my niece (but she's big for an eight yr old).