Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-25-2003, 08:18 AM   #81
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Buell as paperweight ...

i had a friend once who plumbed nitrous oxide into the intake tract of an XLCR sportster, then gunned it down the street with the laugh gas flowing. it was the most dramatic explosion this side of shock and awe in bagdad.

so here's some advice to those who plan to follow burns' advice of keeping the buell long enough that it becomes a classic: they make great paperweights. just don't put any valuable documents down there. that puppy might pee oil on it.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2003, 08:24 AM   #82
dominatr37
Founding Member

Default Re: Infinitley rebuildable

you must be on crack.
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:30 AM   #83
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

How can the wrong bike win when it is not even compared to more appropriate bikes. Some of us just like the truth. Why are we comparing a 6K bike to a 10K bike. Buell's are not priced like Harley's. Buell's have prices which are inline with competing bikes. I personelly like this Buell, but I can't give alot of credit to a comparison when we are talking apples and oranges. What if one of the auto shows compared 100K cars with 60K cars and then talked about how the 60K car was less of a car. Well Doh!!! It's obvious someone at MO got tired of having request for a SV650 review. Just one prob. You must be a subscriber to request this. A paying subscriber. Not a SV650 fan myself but if many subscribers have requested a review on it, it should have been given a fair review with bikes in it's price range. I normally enjoy the articles here on MO, but IMO this atricles discredits MO.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:33 AM   #84
sjriott
Founding Member

This test is one of the most MOronic and stupid I've seen on this site.

Why the hell would you even talk performance numbers when you have a 650, 800 and 1000 included in the same test?

Why not test the SV1000, Honda 998 SuperHawk, etc. with these bikes?

For the extra $1500-$2000 grand more, I'd take the 1000cc version of the Ducati over the Buell anyday.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:36 AM   #85
NoKneeDown
Founding Member

Default Re: Thus Spake The Head...

There's an ad on cycletrader for new Buell XB's for $7999 plus a few hundred bucks for other stuff, BUT a Speed Four with a grand back to me equals so mucho fun. Hmmmm, now the gears in my head are really turning. And, that was a fantastical post my friend. I gotta go buy a new Triumph.
NoKneeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:38 AM   #86
dominatr37
Founding Member

Default Re: Infinitley rebuildable

You've got it right, Smoke. Motorycles are for riding, not resale value, or posing. When my bike hits the 100,000 mile mark (And it will.) I'll retire it and buy something new. I'm prepared for things to go wrong along the way, but whatever they are, they will not make me junk the bike. That's just foolishness
dominatr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:42 AM   #87
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs the world.

$60.00 for a full tune-up and 57 mpg and you still cry? No wander you cry about the $12.00 a year for the subscription.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:44 AM   #88
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Consider it this way

Many times when I'm shopping for something, DVD player, motorcycle, whatever, I like to compare similar items at different price points to determine if spending the extra dough is worth it.

I mean, all DVD players play DVDs so why are some $60 and some $500?

So why not compare similar motorcycles sporting different price points and determine if the extra dough is well spent?

There are more ways to compare things than by price/displacement especially when considering a frivolous purchase.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:48 AM   #89
obandoj
Founding Member

As I said before, Burnsie is out of Prozac.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:49 AM   #90
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Nevertheless, Many of those Old Bugs are Still Running

A lot of those "slow, noisy, and lousy handling" VW Bugs are still being lovingly maintained by their owners (many of whom were not even born when the last new ones were sold here), while the virtually all of the superior Corollas, Pintos and Vegas of the era were long-ago relegated to the scrap heap.

To repeat what I said to another poster here, the post to which you are responding said NOTHING about reliability -- it addressed rebuildability.

Not many people are interested in rebuilding old Pintos or Corollas, or (most) old Japanese bikes, but lots who lovingly rebuild Beetles and old Harleys.

If you think that old Beetles or Harleys are too slow and poor handling, by all means don't buy one.

BTW, I believe Marlon Brando rode a Triumph, rather than a Harley, in The Wild Ones.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote