Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-25-2003, 07:52 AM   #71
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default Thus Spake The Head...

The Aerodynamic Head hath been riding, yea verily he hath.

The GS went under the knife for a luggage-o-plasty, and they gave The Head an F650GS as a loaner. (Dudes: loaner bikes are sufficient reason to buy the high-line bike.)

He rode the F-bike about 50 miles. Nice. Rode it to the local brit/Italian dealer. rode a Speed Four. Very freaking nice. Then rode the F-bike to the BUell dealer, and demo'd a Firebolt. felt a lot like the Speed Four to The Aerodynamic Head, ergo-wise, but The Head says it's better for around town because the "hit" happens at about 4k on the tach, instead of 7k. They actually build power in very similar-feeling ways. The Speed has to make more revs, but makes them faster, and vice versa the Buell. So the power itself comes on about the same-ish. The Buell feels better is all. No question it handles better. But Triumph (pay attention, kids) is still offering a $1k rebate until July-ish, making the Speed Four about $6500. There's your budget beater.

Parenthetical Note: The Aerodynamic Head is bashing no engine configuration, and will issue a papal writ for the slow, painful death and subsequent eternal damnation for anyone who starts THAT line of posting again. Or at the least, he will moderate you clear down to the gates of hades.

Resuming: The Head rode the loaner back to the Guzzi dealership and saw IT. She. Her. The voluptuous woman. The Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans Rosso Corsa. And The Head rode. And rode. And fell in love. Brembo. Ohlins (inc. steering damper). Factory soft bags. Ferraci pipes. Amen, Amen, I say to ye, the next time I buy an unreliable, parts-shedding Eagle-logoed pushrod twin, it will be a Goose.

And in closing, The Head grants that perhaps the bigger SV might have been the better pick for the comparo, but wonders then why the BMW Roadster was not also covered, given JB's prior apparent fondness?

Thank You.

(NB: the aerodynamic head's gratuitous third-person self-reference is in no way affialiated with other gratuitously self-referential figures such as bob dole, bob dylan, dylan thomas, thomas the apostle, kermit the frog, carl the sagan, or Jesus the christ. this post is a work of fiction, and any refernce to actual bikes, lving or dead, is purely coincidental.)

Kopywright MMIII

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2003, 07:57 AM   #72
SmokeU
Registered Member

Default Re: Infinitley rebuildable

I'd rather have a motorcycle that lasts me 10 years and 100,000+ miles that then goes to the boneyard, than one that lasts me 20 years and 50,000 miles that I can then sell for a profit. I ride motorcycle for the pure joy that accompanies riding one, NOT to make a profit off of owning rare and collectable motorcycles. My current bike is a Magna with 31,000 miles, my last bike was a shadow 1100 and now has about 100,000 miles(sold it to my brother) without and problems. I have ridden several new HDs and the only things keeping me from buying one are lack of funds, and they just don't have the power I like.
Old 06-25-2003, 07:58 AM   #73
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell vs the world.

Ya. One of the most shocking things I encountered in my tenure as Buell owner is the incredible difference in cost of parts...in some cases the EXACT SAME part. For example:

S1 front master cylinder (AKA CB700SC master cylinder)

Honda price $310

Buell price $106

I couldn't even get a used Honda part (1/2 the price of new) for that!

LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:59 AM   #74
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default D'oh!

Hey, Screw you, Bob!

I happen to have very good friends who are priests. Very, VERY good friends.

Who spoon really wel...crap.

Um, forget I said anything.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:02 AM   #75
Mashuri
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

One Japanes bike with a cult following that I think has always been better than the SV is the Honda NT650 Hawk GT. If you want a beginner bike that's light, high-tech, still-cool-looking (it even has a single sided swingarm) and handles way better, this is the one for you. You can pick one up in great condition for around $3K and still embarass squid-ridden GSXR1000's in the canyons.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:05 AM   #76
Mashuri
Founding Member

I just noticed they have a website dedicated to it. Go to www.hawkgt.com if you want to learn more (assuming you need to.)
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:07 AM   #77
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: In the market

If the HD/Buell dealers I've run into are any indication, they would rather slice off their left nut than help out someone looking at a Buell.

That said, I need very little help from the dealer as long as the bike don't blow up.

Like the funkyness of the Buell though, it does apeall to the deferent factor gene.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:08 AM   #78
maxriderdon
Founding Member

I agree. And even more important why was the BMW R1150R not compared here. Seems it was well liked before. It's a twin. It would have been...would have been interesting to know how it stack up again the Buell. Oh well maybe another time.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:10 AM   #79
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Well, since we're fantasizing...

I think that new KTM twin (LC8?) looks pretty good, and it's more compact and like what, 20 or 40 lbs lighter than the TL engine? The dry-sump design is cool too. And it'll be a lot more rare than the Suzuki (or even Aprilia) twin, better befitting the Buell's quirky uniqueness.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:18 AM   #80
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

I always wanted a Duc too, but I couldn't justify the maintainance. I ride all the time, not just for fun on weekends like a lot of riders do, and that would get expensive and also be a real pain since I am not about to adjust the desmo valves in my apt's parking garage (as if I had the skill & tools needed anyway).

I would take this into consideration - the extra 2K in purchase price over an SV650 is no big deal but the maintainance could be bad if you're not prepared.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote