Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-25-2003, 08:08 AM   #61
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re:TWINS BASIL,,,TWINS

The next "logical" step would be to jack up the gas tank and slide a TL1000 Suzuki engine in place. Buell's frame geometry and handling + Suzuki's performance and reliability would be a tough combo to beat.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2003, 08:12 AM   #62
aknopak
Founding Member

Default Re: burns ... get a grip.

I have to agree, Burns seems to be trying a bit too hard to be sharp and witty... He's in good company at MO.

Anyway, the general tone of the article is quite negative and biased IMO. What I miss in the article are signs that the testers actually enjoyed riding any of these bikes, instead of just noting that the rear tire on the Buell is fatter than those on the SV and Duc.

And pitting a 6000 dollar bike against bikes which are respectively 30 and 67% more expensive, what does that prove, apparently you couldn't get an SV1000 from Suzuki?

Yeah, yeah, it's entertainment, blahblah, read the specs, yadi-yada, shut up/you're stupid/go away etc.
aknopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:12 AM   #63
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Infinitley rebuildable

First, I would HOPE that you could get 48K miles without a rebuild -- I have not known anyone with any recent model bike that needed a rebuild, other than bikes being raced or otherwise abused.

Second, the relative reliability of Japanese vs American bikes is not the point -- the point is how rebuildable they are. Aside from a few Japanese bikes with cult appeal (eg my SR500) the availability of replacement parts for a +20-year-old Japanese bike is a real challenge. Parts for old Harleys (or Ducati, Triumph etc for that matter) are readily available because there is still a market for them.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:15 AM   #64
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Burns Gets Naked With Twins!

You ever notice the immediate recommendations of other bikes that would have beaten the winner? I can't believe the sour grapes whining when the "wrong" bike wins. Must we take something as enjoyable as motorcycling so friggin' seriously?

My guess is that the SV1000 would have been faster, however the Buell would still go through the twisties more quickly.

What say you Burns?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:17 AM   #65
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell--Puh-Leeze!

How does your 2000 SV650 compare to a used VFR?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:30 AM   #66
LocutusDeBorg
Founding Member

Default Re: Infinitley rebuildable

I gotta side with longride on this one, although I donno if it applies to the latest generation of Buells or not. The average lifespan (not milage) of Harleys has got to be three times that of most or all Japanese models. I think a lot of this comes from the reverence the bikes command from their owners. With few exceptions, there are few Japanese bikes that will achieve "classic" status (letsee here, the CBX, my GS1100 Katana, maybe the Yamaha GTS1000...) while the Harley mystique seems to make all Hogs a classic of some sort. I guess that comes from selling the premier "brand new antique" motorcyle in the world.

Now whether that means Buells will enjoy such a long lifespan depends a lot on who they sell them to and how "disposible" they seem. The first generation Buells, while inferior to the XB bikes in a lot of ways, have a lot of "classic-ness" to them. I plan on keeping my modded S1.
LocutusDeBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:40 AM   #67
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: burns ... get a grip.

It seems to me that Burns is using only very slight hyperbole in the comparison to the opposition to the war with Iraq, and perhaps a bit more in the comparison to supporting NAMBLA (aka the priesthood).

Criticising the SV650 on this forum is going against the stongly-held views of the more vocal members here, just like opposing the invasion of Iraq was going against the establishment view. Doesn't say anything one way or the other about which side is right.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:42 AM   #68
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: In the market

You know I'm in the market for a new bike and am considering the Buell XB9S. The other bikes aren't on my radar. Probably because I'm looking at bikes that are similarly priced. If it were a choice between any twin regardless of price, I would stop by a Ducati or Aprilia dealership.

As I mentioned above, my concerns after a careful perusal of owners' websites, magazine reviews, and talking to people, I'm not sure about the reliability of the bike. What's more is that sales have been lagging and the future of that particular division of HD is uncertain. Lastly, I understand that dealer support for the Buell line is substandard.

For a one bike household, it is imperative to consider other aspects of ownership. Sure, it's a fun bike for a journalist who has to either give it back in a week or two or has a stable of bikes to turn to should misfortune arise. For a owner who has to deal with his sole machine on a day to day basis for some period of time, it is hard to dismiss.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:45 AM   #69
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default You are too funny

An old VW Bug will live forever as long as you keep rebuilding the engine, but it's still slow, noisy, and lousy handling. Not a great car by anyone's standards.

My 1984 V65 Sabre is 19 years old and undermaintained, and is as reliable as any new car. It also stomps the living crap out of any Harley ever made, and even edges out the V-Rod in the quarter mile. People on the Sabre/Magna riders' mailing list I'm on have gotten over 100K out of these bikes with no more than routine maintainance (some of these guys ride A LOT). And the Honda V4's of the day were actually considered problematic Japanese engines.

In one magazine article "100,000 mile Honda CBR900RR", a Honda CBR900RR was ridden 100K miles, and then in a follow-up article it was still going strong at 200K. The owner changed the oil every 4K miles and the filter every OTHER oil change. At 100K it was dynoed and had the same HP as one with 6,722 miles on it. And the bike was used for all kinds of duty, including racing and track days - so it was NOT babied at all.

Try either scenario with a Harley. As far as I know, the CBR had NO repairs to the engine whatsoever. My Sabre had the carbs cleaned once because it sat for 3 years - I consider that owner neglect, not the bike's fault though, and it still ran great - it just wouldn't pass AZ's mandatory emissions testing.

Harleys are great for making wannabes feel like Marlon Brando and impressing people who don't know much of anything about motorcycles, but don't kid yourself about them being superior in any test of performance or function.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:46 AM   #70
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default point taken ...

funny comment about the priesthood.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote